Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What it takes to join a faction?

So the Tuskarr, the Wolvar and the Quillboar.

They have as far as my knowledge serves me right, have their own little civilization, their own culture, linguistics, society etc.

But are they still not civilized enough or intelligent enough to hold membership in the "big leagues" i.e Factions of the Horde and Alliance?

What's the logical reasoning behind why they will always be looked down upon and never accepted into the big leagues? (Horde/Alliance)

Does their lack of civilization and intelligence have anything to do with their disapproval in the big leagues?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they don't want to? Not everyone needs to join a faction....not everyone wants to.

I doubt that how civilized a race is factors into their horde membership, considering how Trolls, Tauren and even Orcs used to live. In terms of intelligence, I'd say that a race needs to be intelligent enough to hold abstract conversations about honor

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Maybe they don't want to? Not everyone needs to join a faction....not everyone wants to.
    Also this, remember that joining a faction = joining a war

The Tuskarr to my knowledge have always preferred to stay neutral, and I think it would take a big event for them to pick a side (If they were ever added I'd assuming they'd be treated like a Pandaren allied race). The Wolvar are indeed quite savage and unintelligent, plus their numbers are actually quite small. As for the Quillboar, they've been equally hostile to Alliance and Horde, so I don't see them getting an invitation any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgee View Post
    The Tuskarr to my knowledge have always preferred to stay neutral, and I think it would take a big event for them to pick a side (If they were ever added I'd assuming they'd be treated like a Pandaren allied race). The Wolvar are indeed quite savage and unintelligent, plus their numbers are actually quite small. As for the Quillboar, they've been equally hostile to Alliance and Horde, so I don't see them getting an invitation any time soon.
    So which ones out of those 3 are not intelligent/civilized enough to be considered by both alliance and horde as useful races to add to their faction, which ones would be turned down?

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Again, stop asking the same questions again and again on here and reddit.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gurutikka View Post

They have as far as my knowledge serves me right, have their own little civilization, their own culture, linguistics, society etc.

But are they still not civilized enough or intelligent enough to hold membership in the "big leagues" i.e Factions of the Horde and Alliance?

What's the logical reasoning behind why they will always be looked down upon and never accepted into the big leagues? (Horde/Alliance)

Does their lack of civilization and intelligence have anything to do with their disapproval in the big leagues?
    The Tuskarr are intelligent, they just rather stay neutral and out of harms way. the Quilboar are violent, nasty, territorial and unwilling to open up even when the scourge ran a muck throughout the Krauls. They don't care about looking for help even if it meant their demise. Wolvar are too damn primitive to do anything but kill, eat and fuck. Also quilboar and wolvar bring nothing of value to either faction

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I doubt that how civilized a race is factors into their horde membership, considering how Trolls, Tauren and even Orcs used to live. In terms of intelligence, I'd say that a race needs to be intelligent enough to hold abstract conversations about honor

- - - Updated - - -

Also this, remember that joining a faction = joining a war
    Yes but Trolls, Tauren and Orcs have enough intelligence, Trolls can become shamans, Taurens druids, Orcs warlocks, their way of life seems more superior to those 3 in this regard. Look at Zandalari, how advanced they were as Trolls, look at Amani empire. So civilization and intelligence must matter to some extent when being considered to be accepted by the 2 major factions in warcraft. I mean, if all your civilization did was build mudhuts and play with sticks and stones, would they really be useful to a faction like alliance or horde?

The answer is "cause of game play reasons."

The Tuskarr is used as a neutral race much like the Tortollan because not every every race should or needs to belong to either faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but Trolls, Tauren and Orcs have enough intelligence, Trolls can become shamans, Taurens druids, Orcs warlocks, their way of life seems more superior to those 3 in this regard. Look at Zandalari, how advanced they were as Trolls, look at Amani empire. So civilization and intelligence must matter to some extent when being considered to be accepted by the 2 major factions in warcraft. I mean, if all your civilization did was build mudhuts and play with sticks and stones, would they really be useful to a faction like alliance or horde?
    Quilboar would be a boon to either side but they just don't give a damn about diplomacy or allies. If you gave a wolvar a gun he would probably smash a animal over the head with it and discard the the gun afterwards then attack you. Tuskar are cool but they just want to stay away from violence.

5+ Year Old Account
    What others have said, but also because we need "fodder races". Storywise we need people who can actually die, disappear, and reappear without damaging the status quo of the factions. We also need vendors and groups to host the factions, so the devs don't have to make twice the content for every little thing. Thematically it's also realistic for most races to want to avoid the massive war brought on between the Alliance and Horde. And lastly, we do have lesser races that aren't affiliated with the factions but are with specific races.

The Furbolgs for instance. They can become as civilized and intelligent as an orc/human, but are the degenerate baby slaves to the NEs. They're culled by the Horde bc they're biased to elves, but are also culled by NEs who see their rise or aggression as a threat to themselves. They are permitted to live as a parasitic or handmaiden race to the elves. This is the fate of all lesser races who aren't outright exterminated. They can't join the faction, because they have to serve their major neighbor first and foremost. It's honestly sad.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    The Tuskarr are intelligent, they just rather stay neutral and out of harms way. the Quilboar are violent, nasty, territorial and unwilling to open up even when the scourge ran a muck throughout the Krauls. They don't care about looking for help even if it meant their demise. Wolvar are too damn primitive to do anything but kill, eat and fuck. Also quilboar and wolvar bring nothing of value to either faction
    I lol'd at the wolvar part. But yeah I agree, quillboar and wolvar would bring nothing of value to alliance/horde.

Tuskarr is great though, hope they remain neutral. They give me a very neutral/peaceful vibe, kinda like Eskimos of Greenland.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Theoretically speaking. If you were the Alliance leader, would you turn down quillboar and wolvar? What about Tuskar? Due to them bringing nothing to the faction?

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess people in Switzerland are not intelligent enough not joining anybody.

You just have have to live with the fact that some people don't like fighting others' silly wars.

10+ Year Old Account

Most likely that the Tuskarr doesn't want to be part of all this shit? Just like the Wolvar/Oracles?

As for the Quillboar, well, they are still an enemy.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

does anyone remember how easy it was for the DK to get into their faction? Like, hey, I know we killed tons of you guys, but i got this letter from this guy, and he says we're cool now, peace and love my dude and then boom, you were cool and went on to BC questing area to slaughter everyone who wasn't a DK. Thats about how easy it is.

Quilboar are far too xenophobic to want to align themselves with anyone so that's likely never gonna happen. For the sake of argument though, if all the tribes united and did join one of the factions, they're be a big boost in numbers if nothing else.

Wolvar are too primitive at this point in their evolution, and likely too few in number by comparison anyway.

Tuskarr will likely be happy to remain neutral and stay out of matters that don't directly involve them. They're happy enough to fish and care for their families, they don't seem to want more from life than that for now.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Joining either of the two factions is detrimental for the most part. If you join the horde you live under a dictator that constantly sees you as expendable and if you join the alliance you get funny looks and the guys of the other faction want to kill you for no reason while babbling nonsense about honor.

Having your shitty little village life and fish for a living works perfectly fine compared to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    does anyone remember how easy it was for the DK to get into their faction? Like, hey, I know we killed tons of you guys, but i got this letter from this guy, and he says we're cool now, peace and love my dude and then boom, you were cool and went on to BC questing area to slaughter everyone who wasn't a DK. Thats about how easy it is.
    You were an ambassador that got spit on in the street and you offered your support to fight against the lich king (along with that of the faction). That your first action was to do what amounts to time travel and fuck about in outland is another topic though..

Wolvar are openly hostile towards everyone, most notably the Gorlocs.

Quilboar allied themselves with the Scourge, not sure what their loyalties are now Agamaggan is back. Agamaggan is allied with the likes of Malorne etc, so Quilboar could technically join the Alliance or Horde? I'm not sure what their story is in Kul'tiras and I don't know if Agamaggan is actually worshiped by them.

Tuskarr allied themselves with the Horde in WotLK, who then helped them deal with their enemies. Not sure if the Nerubians or Ice Trolls are still a threat to them. Either way, Tuskarr have popped up in multiple places to trade, including Boralus and Zuldazar. They haven't shown a particular interest in joining a faction and the Horde hasn't asked them to return the favor, I guess?

A lot of it is probably gameplay reasons and also not creating too much diversity in the factions. Faction identity is already at an all time low, no need to flood the factions with even more races just because they exist.

So which ones out of those 3 are not intelligent/civilized enough to be considered by both alliance and horde as useful races to add to their faction, which ones would be turned down?
    I would say Wolvar and Quillboar would be turned away. But we're at the point in the story where even though they might not "join" the faction, they might be used as pawns in a larger, strategic purpose.