Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    Lastly the reason i mentioned all this stuff in the first place was because OP devolved into not specifically liking story and dialogue in Witcher (which is fine) to not liking it in GENERAL which is bad news if you want to play an RPG because irrespective of the types of gameplay for the most part a story in whatever form that is imperative in an RPG.
    Because you can have mediocre to bad story but the gameplay can carry it. If you hate the story but still love the character building, stat work, gearing, combat, etc it can still be a good game to you. But for a lot of people, if the story is amazing, but the gameplay is bad, they'll just full stop.

Now in the case of the OP, he liked neither so obviously the game isn't for him, but even if the game has the best story in the world but isn't fun to play, I'm still not going to play it, you're better off watching the story on a youtube playthrough.

Which really boils down to, in 99% of games and genres, gameplay matters just as much, if not more then story, this is the same with RPGs.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I feel like the people who say this are 10-15 years old at most. Because you obviously haven't played any older games if you think that's true.
    35 here. Combat made this game unplayable for me.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

yeah, I'm pretty sure that vast majority of people unhappy with Witcher 3 combat are actualy on older side, and its the tryhard teenagers that love it. incidentally, I've never liked Witcher combat. its just in a third game its not nearly as bad for me as in, say Witcher 1 (I game I just couldn't force myself to finish, becasue combat in it annoyed me THAT much), so I was able to tolerate it enough to get to the story and characters.. which is what for me was the core of Witcher games in a first place.

from what I know of DnD tabletop, or at least my experience of it. there IS a preset story. DM comes up with one in advance and then players just decide how to approach it, but there is a plan there on a part of DM. as to where they guide their players in a first place. I mean.. this is where Rocks fall everyone dies comes from. DM that was so annoyed with players trying to derail the planned campaign that they just killed their players off instead. https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...-everyone-dies

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    yeah, I'm pretty sure that vast majority of people unhappy with Witcher 3 combat are actualy on older side, and its the tryhard teenagers that love it. incidentally, I've never liked Witcher combat. its just in a third game its not nearly as bad for me as in, say Witcher 1 (I game I just couldn't force myself to finish, becasue combat in it annoyed me THAT much), so I was able to tolerate it enough to get to the story and characters.. which is what for me was the core of Witcher games in a first place.
    Yea, Witcher 2 and 3 combat is pretty bland but holy shit Witcher 1 is unplayable to me. I will never complete that game.

Like other posters have said, combat in TW3 is its weak point. Once I learned the quen-quick attack-dodge strategy, death march was easy mode. I was not challenged at all after the first 5 hours. I tried alchemy, magic, combat, and hybrid builds and they all felt overpowered.

The narrative, branching story arcs, moral choices, multi-dimensional characters, music, and world is what the game is famous for.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Because you can have mediocre to bad story but the gameplay can carry it. If you hate the story but still love the character building, stat work, gearing, combat, etc it can still be a good game to you. But for a lot of people, if the story is amazing, but the gameplay is bad, they'll just full stop.

Now in the case of the OP, he liked neither so obviously the game isn't for him, but even if the game has the best story in the world but isn't fun to play, I'm still not going to play it, you're better off watching the story on a youtube playthrough.

Which really boils down to, in 99% of games and genres, gameplay matters just as much, if not more then story, this is the same with RPGs.
    "Because you can have mediocre to bad story but the gameplay can carry it." Thats completely subjective... I don't overly like Heavy Rain Gameplay but the story carried it big time. You are making crazy wild generalizations here and applying them to everyone. You can have any combinations of those things and have them carry it...... Its not if X is bad Y will carry it every single time it can be any combination. For me if im not invested in what im doing aka the characters or world i dun give a shit about the gameplay i wont play it. I know POE gameplay is better than D3 but i dont care about the POE world at all.

Its also convenient you didnt attempt to address anything else i said except for the last paragraph did you not realise board games have gameplay?. Once again your last statement made some weird claims.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77;50863382[B
    ]yeah, I'm pretty sure that vast majority of people unhappy with Witcher 3 combat are actualy on older side[/B], and its the tryhard teenagers that love it. incidentally, I've never liked Witcher combat. its just in a third game its not nearly as bad for me as in, say Witcher 1 (I game I just couldn't force myself to finish, becasue combat in it annoyed me THAT much), so I was able to tolerate it enough to get to the story and characters.. which is what for me was the core of Witcher games in a first place.

from what I know of DnD tabletop, or at least my experience of it. there IS a preset story. DM comes up with one in advance and then players just decide how to approach it, but there is a plan there on a part of DM. as to where they guide their players in a first place. I mean.. this is where Rocks fall everyone dies comes from. DM that was so annoyed with players trying to derail the planned campaign that they just killed their players off instead. https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...-everyone-dies
    Yea what a stupid wild and stupid and substantiated claim. I bet you think its edgy teenagers who play Devil May Cry right? Anyone that grew up with the Witcher games now is "Older" the same as wow. Teenagers do no invest time into games this long. They play fortnub or Apex and if they can sit down enough Red Dead.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I did not like it at first tho, but once story progressed thru few levels, got hooked. Story gets more interesting further you go, side stuff just as good as main story and combat mode is constant improvement, especially once you get a good gear and can play on Death March. I'm currently playing NG+, on DM, and daaaamn, fun but awesome.
    I've read the the Witcher books tho, so was quite familiar with almost every character in game before playing.

I think Witcher 3 is a great game, but also at the same time it's a bit overhyped. The story isn't bad, but it does take time to pick up steam and is, IMO, VERY uneven. Velen and Kaer Morhen were great, Skellige had great world building but a tepid quest, and I loathed Novigrad's boring story and characters. Really I find that the story works rhanks to Geralt and Ciri; if you don't like these two then it completely falls apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I think Witcher 3 is a great game, but also at the same time it's a bit overhyped. The story isn't bad, but it does take time to pick up steam and is, IMO, VERY uneven. Velen and Kaer Morhen were great, Skellige had great world building but a tepid quest, and I loathed Novigrad's boring story and characters. Really I find that the story works rhanks to Geralt and Ciri; if you don't like these two then it completely falls apart.
    Yea, that's the problem when you rely completely on story at the expense of gameplay... if you're not attached to the story... why play?

Like if they made a GoT game it would have to have extremely good gameplay to get me to pick it up, I tried reading the books... 300 pages in I was still bored off my ass, I told someone who had read it all that and they're like "stick with it, it gets better around 500 pages in!" why... why should I have to read 500 damn pages for it to get good?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, that's the problem when you rely completely on story at the expense of gameplay... if you're not attached to the story... why play?

Like if they made a GoT game it would have to have extremely good gameplay to get me to pick it up, I tried reading the books... 300 pages in I was still bored off my ass, I told someone who had read it all that and they're like "stick with it, it gets better around 500 pages in!" why... why should I have to read 500 damn pages for it to get good?
    That is a good point. But I enjoyed Witcher 3 from the get go. Amazing rpg, but like any game, some are not going to like it. At the moment, I am enjoying ESO for the same reasons. The voice acting adds a lot to the realism as a RPG. And I am a much older than most on here.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    ...When a Call of Duty player tries another game
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBoss View Post
    ...When a Call of Duty player tries another game
    /facepalm

please go away with you..

You're level 14...if you dont start enjoying it by level 25 then maybe it's not for you. But I wouldnt base my expectation off of the first like 15% of the game. RPGs build up over time.

If you spacebar through Witcher 3 you are essentially missing the game.

If you want to run around killing shit there are better games for that.

Try Anthem.

Kinda hard to get into the story if you start the game and skip all the dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yea what a stupid wild and stupid and substantiated claim. I bet you think its edgy teenagers who play Devil May Cry right? Anyone that grew up with the Witcher games now is "Older" the same as wow. Teenagers do no invest time into games this long. They play fortnub or Apex and if they can sit down enough Red Dead.
    no more stupid and wild then claiming that its got to be teenagers that hate witcher gameplay and adults must enjoy it, which was the claim i was responding to.

the truth is a whole lot of us tolerate witcher 3 gameplay at best, becasue story and characters are worth it. Witcher 3 gameplay is flawed. its not for everyone. its better then prior games in a series, but its still. flawed.

I don't think my post was a criticism of story-based games in and of themselves; my favorite game ever, Planescape Torment, has an amazing story but crap gameplay after all. It's more a criticism as to the fact that two characters hold the entire thing together. If you don't like or don't care too much about Geralt and his relationship with Ciri, the first half of the game is just an endless repeating of Your Princess Is in Another Castle, and that would bore anyone.

I don't think Witcher 3 is that story-based either. The gameplay is pretty good even if not awesometacular. It's just that the one thing that does shine in the game is its story and presentation, so of course if you can't get into it you'll be asking yourself what people see in it, just like I can ask myself what people see in Fortnite when I find the gameplay soporific.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    no more stupid and wild then claiming that its got to be teenagers that hate witcher gameplay and adults must enjoy it, which was the claim i was responding to.

the truth is a whole lot of us tolerate witcher 3 gameplay at best, becasue story and characters are worth it. Witcher 3 gameplay is flawed. its not for everyone. its better then prior games in a series, but its still. flawed.
    That is a really good point and I agree. I enjoyed it for basically what you said was it's strong points. But the controls in the game sucked. But then again, I played it on a PC and I heard it is easier on a console. But the graphics, huge amount of content, story and chars, freedom of play style to some extent, made it very appealing to me. The first two I never finished. I liked the story and such, but they were so restrictive in how you played, you felt very much limited like the world was on some kind of rail system. Witcher 3 is far superior to the first two in so many ways.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Lol... you are playing an RPG and want to just skip all dialogue and quest text.... lol.... oof

Ahhhh so you agree that both claims are stupid then? Well thats good.
    "the truth is a whole lot of us tolerate witcher 3 gameplay at best" Another one of those great claims sounds like projection to me. Most games are flawed. Its not for everyone>? Of course nothing is....

Also the assumption that the majority of fans are older is based on logic. A) How old the series and how long ago the games came out 1 and 2. B) The type of material edgy teens dont play DMC or witcher anymore they are older. Edgy teens dont play Wow either that was LK days. Edgy teens play battle Royals.

Sure these are statements i cant "prove" but they follow the same lines of why teens dont play wow (because they have grown up now)