Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Don't get me wrong I love RPG's.. I'm like the biggest fan ever of the Baldurs Gate series, however, in Witcher 3 I really feel it's all shallow with the dialog, no living world, no big variety of monsters lurking around? Is it because of my level / the place I am in the game?

And no.. Diablo 3 is a freaking disgrace that deserves no mentions all.
    Your no living world comment is a bit weird, if anything Witcher 3 is the one RPG where the world changes for real with what you do in the story, sometimes even in side quests, instead of being just different cutscenes or missing npcs. Now im not gona judge you for taste i think that would be a mistake, perhaps you are not far enough to see those thing, but again if you dont like it, its ok to not like it? Its objectively a good game in general, lots of content that many people enjoy, high production value, etc.

Now for gameplay, well it cant be worse then witcher 1 lol. But again gameplay being shit is not new to RPG genre, even in some of the best classics.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-02-17 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    Ahhhh so you agree that both claims are stupid then? Well thats good.
    "the truth is a whole lot of us tolerate witcher 3 gameplay at best" Another one of those great claims sounds like projection to me. Most games are flawed. Its not for everyone>? Of course nothing is....

Also the assumption that the majority of fans are older is based on logic. A) How old the series and how long ago the games came out 1 and 2. B) The type of material edgy teens dont play DMC or witcher anymore they are older. Edgy teens dont play Wow either that was LK days. Edgy teens play battle Royals.

Sure these are statements i cant "prove" but they follow the same lines of why teens dont play wow (because they have grown up now)
    a whole lot of us implies a good number of players that enjoyed Witcher 3 for what it was - a flawed but still fantastic game including combat .... peculiarities. a whole lot of them are even in this thread. "a whole lot" is not even "most", let alone "all". so I fail to see where you are getting "projection" when I'm literally going by the statements of various people online, here and elsewhere.

moreover, again with the whole "most fast are older. I'm glad you agree that its an assumption. becasue a whole lot of fans didn't discover Witcher until third game, and never played or heard of 1 or 2. may of those fans are younger. I know of multiple fans, creating art, writing fanfiction and so on.. that were still teenagers when they played Witcher 3. and the game is what got them to discover the books in a first place. they played it first and THEN read the books. they had gone back to triy the first 2 games as well, AFTER discovering third.

last but not least. Teens most certainly play WoW. many of them are playing with their parents. becasue guess what, because WoW was the first MMO on the market that allowed for more casual solo play right from the start (yes even in Vanilla, compared to other available MMO's - Vanilla WoW was casual's heaven)... many of the people who even played in Vanilla, were adults. some with children who are teens ow. heck the game is old enough now that people who met in WoW and got married - are having teenage kids now.

its the usual logical fallacy. just becasue so many teens enjoy various battle royale games, doesn't mean they ONLY enjoy battle royale games.

Why people look down on teenagers lol? It's not like all these games we are talking about are that deep in story and emotinal aspects compared to everything else you can find in other sources. I actually miss the time when I was a teenager. I was actually good at playing video games back then.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2019-02-18 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Why people look down on teenagers lol? It's not like all these games we are talking about are that deep in story and emotinal aspects compared to everything else you can find in other sources. I actually miss the time when I was a teenager. I was actually good at playing video games back then.

effect.

honestly, just like adults, teens come in all kinds and preferences and interactions. some allowance should be made for general immaturity that you just cannot get away from, as teenage brains are still developing and their hormones are all over the place, but then again.. I have encountered some adults that i could have sworn were teenagers so /shrug

that said... I have to disagree with assertion that video games are inherently less deep then other sources.

7+ Year Old Account
    thatsbait.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    So was I. Unfortunately for me, when I was a teenager, it involved playing text-based RPGs online. I got real good at typing "kill orc" over and over again, which is why I had a 100 wpm typing speed (which was pretty unusual for guys in the 90s).

At least on my rogue, it was a series of three commands, "hide/aim head/ambush orc." Those were the days, man.

Well, I will admit I find the Witcher series as a whole never impressed me. I see their merit but I was never wowed by them.

Witcher 1 was the most interesting just for how janky it was. Serviceable but only barely.

Witcher 2 was merely alright to me. More frustrating than anything and I really just thought the story was forgettable. It tried, but just didn't stick with me.

Witcher 3 I get why it has its popularity. But the story, again just didn't click with me (the tail end of the main campaign just really felt like jumping the shark). The combat was annoying as ever and the open world personally just wasn't to my liking. I wanted more dungeons and such to explore and they went more of the grounded route and its mostly just tiny towns and caves that look more non descript than Skyrims. Personally I just found it dull. The expansions however I loved a lot, wish the rest of the games story was nearly as interesting as Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Then theres Geralt himself who just annoys me for some reason. I don't know why, his concept and the that of Witchers sound cool but he was always off putting to me. Probably the voice.

Anyways, yeah sounds like OP really doesn't like rpgs. But, not all of us felt the series was perfect. My two cents no one wanted.
    Last edited by Personman; 2019-02-18 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Personman View Post
    Well, I will admit I find the Witcher series as a whole never impressed me. I see their merit but I was never wowed by them.

Witcher 1 was the most interesting just for how janky it was. Serviceable but only barely.

Witcher 2 was merely alright to me. More frustrating than anything and I really just thought the story was forgettable. It tried, but just didn't stick with me.

Witcher 3 I get why it has its popularity. But the story, again just didn't click with me (the tail end of the main campaign just really felt like jumping the shark). The combat was annoying as ever and the open world personally just wasn't to my liking. I wanted more dungeons and such to explore and they went more of the grounded route and its mostly just tiny towns and caves that look more non descript than Skyrims. Personally I just found it dull. The expansions however I loved a lot, wish the rest of the games story was nearly as interesting as Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Then theres Geralt himself who just annoys me for some reason. I don't know why, his concept and the that of Witchers sound cool but he was always off putting to me. Probably the voice.

Anyways, yeah sounds like OP really doesn't like rpgs. But, not all of us felt the series was perfect. My two cents no one wanted.
    Geralt is very VERY whiny. he's like that in the books and while you can make choices for him in game, his overall personality is still the one from the books. and its, well.. whiny :P so I can totally see how it can be off putting.

and that's the thing about stories. different stories appeal to different people and there is nothing wrong with not connecting to a story. I mean... Song of Ice and Fire is highly acclaimed and highly celebrated, and J.R. Martin is considered to be this amazing writer.. and I could never get into his books. not over a decade ago and not now. so... to each their own!

the key here is to accept the idea of to each their own and accept that when something doesn't resonate with you, its not becasue it must be bad and all these people who loved it are nuts - but rather because it just.... doesn't resonate with you personaly. as simple as that

W3 is all about the story, visuals, and open world experience. All of which it IMO does better than any other game I have played. Where it falls off pretty hard is the combat. It isn't the worst thing ever, but it could definitely be a lot better. It isn't strategic enough to really think about and it isn't fast enough to be reflex or combo based. Raising the difficulty basically results in what I would call "cheesing" fights or just slowing things down. If this game went the direction of Dark Souls, DMC, or some slow strategy like Dragon Age 1 with its combat I think it would be significantly better.
    Last edited by Raging Fungus; 2019-02-18 at 07:50 AM.

Well yes, that's pretty much what I was saying =p. I'm not calling the games and their stories bad at all but they're wont be something something I'll revisit myself.

I think what bugged me about Geralt more was his execution. Witchers are loathed and reviled around the world yet hes so famous and rubbing elbows with royalty and what not its like ok so what if random yokel calls you something mean. One of your best friends is a freaking Empress. They try to ride this sympathy angle for Geralt and witchers in general but its like it wants to have its cake and eat it too. It always stuck in my craw, mostly in 3, the other two is wasn't nearly as pronounced.

His character just seems kinda inconsistent too in ways that I couldn't stand. The greatest example for me:

To save Ciri Geralt, someone who has supposedly been misunderstood, spat on, risk his life for little to no thanks and wallowed in the under world for how long must be the perfect loving step father and have a snowball fight with her... ok. Right, that fits with him totally. The bastard wouldn't have a clue what to do with Ciri, give me a break. I mean hell wasn't a cop out reason for his monotone voice because he lost most of his emotions when he became a witcher? So that just makes it more ridiculous. I went with what I felt fit him the most and I got punished for it with a bad ending. That left me rather upset.

It felt like two people were writing his story to me. In 3 especially. One wanted him to be this famous debonair hero saving the day and celebrating at fancy balls with virtues hanging off his sleeve and the other wanted an outcast vigilante helping the people in spite of their foolishness towards himself and each other. Someone really needed to pick one or the other and its clear the later was the correct choice.

This may be me though. I like when characters stick to a concept rather closely and develop within those confines. Perhaps they tried to make someone more in between. Personally I don't think it worked, but I'm not claiming to be an expert.

Hello everyone

Literally everyone i've seen says The Witcher 3 is a godlike good game.. BUT.. I'm really struggling to like it. I absolute hate the dialog.. dialog every god damn where I go.. I wanna fight monsters, collect gear and fight monsters..! Not spam press space bar all over. I'm level 14 atm and I just arrived at Skellige and i'm so closed to being burned out.. My own fault for space bar though all dialog? In that case I can say I can't and won't be able to endure the dialog spam all over..

Should I just give up or will the game get any better? My biggest problem in the beginning of the game was the voice of Geralt but now it's simply the dialog all over....

What to do?
    What was strange for me the first time I played it, for about 2-3 hours I never got into it and just left the game alone for about a year. Decided to try it again and got hooked. It's still the best single player experience I have had in a game and the 2 DLCs are just as good as the original itself.

uninstall the game and go play with lego

I also don't like the game. Played it for 10 hours, got bored, tried it again after a year, again played for 10 hours, but I just don't like it. I don't care about the main character, I don't care about Yennifer, Ciri or any other one. Skyrim, for example, grabbed me by the balls from the very first second, I have over 600 hours in that game. I even find some of the story and dialogue in ESO more interesting than the witcher...

I am mostly that dude that skip all text / story and could not get into Witcher 2 atall, doing the last steam sale i did buy Witcher 3 and have giving it a go ..... i love it and the lore has me dragged in big time,

Right now i am at 60 hour playtime lvl 23 and just stepped into Skellige, all the quest dialog is voice acted really helps for me, i still read all the damn books ( ingame )
    and i got to say it baffles me that the OP says the game has no life ......i have never played a game where the little things matters so much and have a effect in the game world

This is a game you need to play slow ( imo ) and take it all in but games like this is not for everyone, i do however understand now why the fans are so happy about this game.

Hello everyone

Literally everyone i've seen says The Witcher 3 is a godlike good game.. BUT.. I'm really struggling to like it. I absolute hate the dialog.. dialog every god damn where I go.. I wanna fight monsters, collect gear and fight monsters..! Not spam press space bar all over. I'm level 14 atm and I just arrived at Skellige and i'm so closed to being burned out.. My own fault for space bar though all dialog? In that case I can say I can't and won't be able to endure the dialog spam all over..

Should I just give up or will the game get any better? My biggest problem in the beginning of the game was the voice of Geralt but now it's simply the dialog all over....

What to do?
    One of the best parts of the witcher 3 is the dialog. Because its got a really good story and good characters. You should not be playing a RPG if you dont care about the story. Go play a hack and slash game i mean seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Baza View Post
    I also don't like the game. Played it for 10 hours, got bored, tried it again after a year, again played for 10 hours, but I just don't like it. I don't care about the main character, I don't care about Yennifer, Ciri or any other one. Skyrim, for example, grabbed me by the balls from the very first second, I have over 600 hours in that game. I even find some of the story and dialogue in ESO more interesting than the witcher...
    Its because skyrim has little to no story and witcher has a rich story. My guess is that you didnt play witcher 2 or witcher and thats why you dont care about certain characters. TBH i didnt care about yennifer, only cared about Triss since i loved her interactions with the MC in witcher 2. I never played witcher 1. I also have alot of hours in skyrim and oblivion but those games are basically free roam exploration games. Witcher is more story and world driven. Although Witcher 3 has some free roam in it its not like skyrim.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2019-02-18 at 10:29 AM.

I want to like the story of The Witcher games. However, the combat is a dumpster fire and ruins it.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post

Its because skyrim has little to no story and witcher has a rich story. My guess is that you didnt play witcher 2 or witcher and thats why you dont care about certain characters. TBH i didnt care about yennifer, only cared about Triss since i loved her interactions with the MC in witcher 2. I never played witcher 1. I also have alot of hours in skyrim and oblivion but those games are basically free roam exploration games. Witcher is more story and world driven. Although Witcher 3 has some free roam in it its not like skyrim.
    What are you talking about? There's tons of story in Skyrim - the main story quest chain, the empire/stormcloaks story, dark brotherhood, thieves guild, and many, many more. The story is my favourite part about Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    a whole lot of us implies a good number of players that enjoyed Witcher 3 for what it was - a flawed but still fantastic game including combat .... peculiarities. a whole lot of them are even in this thread. "a whole lot" is not even "most", let alone "all". so I fail to see where you are getting "projection" when I'm literally going by the statements of various people online, here and elsewhere.

moreover, again with the whole "most fast are older. I'm glad you agree that its an assumption. becasue a whole lot of fans didn't discover Witcher until third game, and never played or heard of 1 or 2. may of those fans are younger. I know of multiple fans, creating art, writing fanfiction and so on.. that were still teenagers when they played Witcher 3. and the game is what got them to discover the books in a first place. they played it first and THEN read the books. they had gone back to triy the first 2 games as well, AFTER discovering third.

last but not least. Teens most certainly play WoW. many of them are playing with their parents. because guess what, because WoW was the first MMO on the market that allowed for more casual solo play right from the start (yes even in Vanilla, compared to other available MMO's - Vanilla WoW was casual's heaven)... many of the people who even played in Vanilla, were adults. some with children who are teens ow. heck the game is old enough now that people who met in WoW and got married - are having teenage kids now.

its the usual logical fallacy. just becasue so many teens enjoy various battle royale games, doesn't mean they ONLY enjoy battle royale games.
    Right so by your own statements "a whole lot" is not all let alone most. So why is this a factor again? A whole lot is in every fandom.

You went from tolerating witcher 3 to now saying its a flawed but fantastic game? Which is most games by the way(being flawed that is). So its fantastic yet you had to tolerate a large majority of the game? That seems abit odd. How do those things simultaneously happen. I dont think ive experienced something truly fantastic all the while tolerating something i had to do every single.

Theres that statement again "whole lot of fans didn't discover Witcher until third game" So if a whole lot isnt even most then most fans did discover the series in the first entry? Thats good to know 2/3 are old fans and 1/3 a young fans great thats clarified.

And yes of course there are teenagers that play wow. There are old people that play fornite but if you think the majority of current players are teenagers you would be incorrect. I never said ONLY teenagers play battle royale games but if we are talking in broad strokes here thats what they play. The playerbase of WoW is considerably older that battle royal games and thats reflected in when the games came out how accessable the games are to people. Who watches the games and what are the age groups of the people that watch them.

Do you deny that the majority of WoW players are late teens 20 upwards and the majority of battle royal games and alike are early teens and downwards. Or is this something you are going to dispute because you like to be a contrarian. There have been a myriad of threads asking how old do people think the average wow player is on this very forum, look them up. Yea teenagers are there late teens mostly but the majority is mostly always 20-30. Just google it from forums to actual statistical pages the average age even as far as back as 2013 is 17-30 not its 20-30.
    Last edited by maccajoe; 2019-02-18 at 12:05 PM.

Witchers are loathed and reviled around the world yet hes so famous and rubbing elbows with royalty and what not its like ok so what if random yokel calls you something mean.
    I doubt Geralt cares that much about it (anymore).
    Thing is, it's one of those things that have to re explained for newer audiences, some questions / dialogues is something Geralt would never ask.

Small example: Geralt can ask Yennefer about the Wild Hunt and what they wanted from them, Yen then explains they were bait for Ciri.

Now take into account that back in Witcher 2, when Geralt had his final talk with Letho about basically everything, Letho asked him what the Wild Hunt wanted from Geralt and Yen, he just replies "I got an idea, but that's not your concern" (Which is a pretty big hint at being Ciri, especially as an optional quest in the last chapter of Witcher 2 outright states that the Wild Hunt is after Ciri)

So there are two options:
    1.Geralt is piss poor at guessing
    2.He magically forgot the reason between Witcher 2 and 3.

One of your best friends is a freaking Empress.
    Not sure which Empress you are talking about, are you talking about Anna Henrietta, Duchess of Toussaint?
    Friends is probably an exaggeration, going by their interaction in Blood & Wine.

To save Ciri Geralt, someone who has supposedly been misunderstood, spat on, risk his life for little to no thanks and wallowed in the under world for how long must be the perfect loving step father and have a snowball fight with her... ok. Right, that fits with him totally. The bastard wouldn't have a clue what to do with Ciri, give me a break. I mean hell wasn't a cop out reason for his monotone voice because he lost most of his emotions when he became a witcher? So that just makes it more ridiculous. I went with what I felt fit him the most and I got punished for it with a bad ending. That left me rather upset.
    Ciri really liked Geralt, so i guess by that he obviously had parental feelings / instinct, after all.

The issue with those emotions is a bit tricky, some Witchers basically turn into tomatoes due the Trial of Grasses, with varying degrees, one possibility being that they are rather low on emotions.

While some of that may stem from the Trial of Grasses, you have to take into account that a lot of Witchers are quite old, Geralt is nearly a century old.
    They were trained to become monster slayers from the childhood, sword training every day, learn about monsters, alchemy and whatnot, no fun allowed at all.
    Then they undergo the Trial of Grasses which can impact your emotional capacity and lastly, they're basically being treated like lepers despite themselves having done nothing wrong.

So you are looking at a bunch of very old people, that basically had no childhood and once they became young adults, travelled around the world where any "normal" person treated them rather hostile, it's no surprise that Witchers turned rather cold and emotionless on the outside, most people would if they faced a similiar situation.
    I think Geralts warmer personality is there once he interacts with people he sees as friends.

The capacity to feel emotions is there, but the threshold is much lower than for regular people, among other things due the experience they went through when interacting with the outside world.

Witcher 1 ironically touches upon this subject that Witchers in fact are capable of feeling emotions, doubt among other things.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2019-02-18 at 12:41 PM.

@OP
    May i suggest you Monsters Hunter World game instead?