Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    Right so by your own statements "a whole lot" is not all let alone most. So why is this a factor again? A whole lot is in every fandom.

You went from tolerating witcher 3 to now saying its a flawed but fantastic game? Which is most games by the way(being flawed that is). So its fantastic yet you had to tolerate a large majority of the game? That seems abit odd. How do those things simultaneously happen. I dont think ive experienced something truly fantastic all the while tolerating something i had to do every single.

Theres that statement again "whole lot of fans didn't discover Witcher until third game" So if a whole lot isnt even most then most fans did discover the series in the first entry? Thats good to know 2/3 are old fans and 1/3 a young fans great thats clarified.

And yes of course there are teenagers that play wow. There are old people that play fornite but if you think the majority of current players are teenagers you would be incorrect. I never said ONLY teenagers play battle royale games but if we are talking in broad strokes here thats what they play. The playerbase of WoW is considerably older that battle royal games and thats reflected in when the games came out how accessable the games are to people. Who watches the games and what are the age groups of the people that watch them.

Do you deny that the majority of WoW players are late teens 20 upwards and the majority of battle royal games and alike are early teens and downwards. Or is this something you are going to dispute because you like to be a contrarian. There have been a myriad of threads asking how old do people think the average wow player is on this very forum, look them up. Yea teenagers are there late teens mostly but the majority is mostly always 20-30. Just google it from forums to actual statistical pages the average age even as far as back as 2013 is 17-30 not its 20-30.
    a whole lot is STILL a factor. becasue its a whole LOT.

moreover, I'm starting to think you are just arguing with me for the sake of arguing.

I said, that i tolerated combat for the sake of story, as it was a lot more tolerable in 3 vs prior games. COMBAT. you know that you can dislike some aspects and love others anyways, right, and when the aspects you love outweight the aspects you don't - you end up enjoying the game anyways, right? I mean.. i'm literally the same way with ESO. I dislike its combat a great deal, but what I do enjoy in that game I enjoy enough to accept combat for what it is, and its not so awful as to put me off completely, just not the most enjoyable. its.. tollerable.

its not a binary thing, enjoying games, or books or movies, etc.

and the irony here is that you are arguing with me about unprovable claims... while making unprovable claims of your own. it's hysterical. I never made any numerical claims about which fans discovered Witcher games, when. all I said is that there is a conciderable chunk of fandom that didn't discover movies OR books prior to Witcher 3, even Sapkovski himself mentioned something to that end, and notice how he didn't try to sue cd project red for more money until after game 3 blew up the way that it did. Witcher 2 did well, but it was nowhere near the level of Witcher 3. which tells us what? that large number of people STARTED with 3.

in any case, the following bellow is not a reply to you, but another person that I'm feeling lazy to quote.

Witchers do feel emotions. they are told that they do not, but reality is.. they do. its kinda like jedi not feeling emotion, but really they do feel them, they are just trained to suppress them and when that suppression fails is how they often go bad.

I will say this much. Geralt for me, made for a.. not so great rpg subject becasue he is such a defined person in the books. I couldn't play him as anything else, I made book choices (so Yennefer all the way, among other things)

I honestly think that the disconnect comes from people tying to make their own character out of a character that is really not build for that. and that's fine. another ironic thing is that Witcher is not even my fave rpg. I enjoyed it eventually, becasue i picked up the books and they got me invested into characters enough to want to give 3 a chance as well as go back to 1 and 2. that investment into characters enhanced my enjoyment a great deal. if that investment is not there to begin with, I can see why someone may feel very meh about this game. I feel pretty darn meh about red dead redemption becasue I don't care about westerns and i don't care about its specific characters so even minor flaws are pretty much deal breakers for me. and guess what? that TOO is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Should I just give up or will the game get any better?
    If by "better" you mean "Geralt stops talking" then, no.

The Witcher is set in a well-crafted universe, and every universe has rules. Some people want to know those rules so they can do better at the game in question (i.e. don't stab an Alghoul, Ciri learned that when she was eight, it was in the opening tutorial level). Some people want to know how the world works because they find it fun and immersing. Some people, like yourself, have other things they'd rather do.

It's the same with Gwent. Like it? Run the Gwent quests and have fun. Don't like Gwent? Skip it. Pounding the spacebar isn't exactly a new tradition, and you can make a game of it by yelling "SHUT US WESLEY!" or your equivalent. Or, you could swap games. Because there's a ton of conversations in The Witcher 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    May i suggest you Monsters Hunter World game instead?
    Or Skyrim? It's still a good game. There's dialogue, but way less of it, and your character's mute so you only have to hit the space bar half as often.

Funny to see this thread. I just bought Dark Souls III and regret it. At least it was only $14.99, got it for sale off Steam.

I wish I bought Witcher 3. I want the lore. Dark Souls 3 feels weird to play, I just need to put more time into it.

If you don't want any story, and just want to "kill shit" you're playing the wrong game mate. That's your problem, you went into a heavily story driven game expecting it to be a hack n slash. Might i suggest Devil May Cry or Diablo?

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never been able to finish the game, or touch the DLCs. I just get bored before the end, everytime. Witcher 1 I did finish and Witcher 2 I barely touched.

Perhaps I should skip side quests, unless I need to level I'm a completionist, so everything has to be explored.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's ok if that's not your cup of tea. Games are subjective, most of the time. If RPG is not your thing, I wouldn't recommend The Witcher or Dragon Age, for instance.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Hello everyone

Literally everyone i've seen says The Witcher 3 is a godlike good game.. BUT.. I'm really struggling to like it. I absolute hate the dialog.. dialog every god damn where I go.. I wanna fight monsters, collect gear and fight monsters..! Not spam press space bar all over. I'm level 14 atm and I just arrived at Skellige and i'm so closed to being burned out.. My own fault for space bar though all dialog? In that case I can say I can't and won't be able to endure the dialog spam all over..

Should I just give up or will the game get any better? My biggest problem in the beginning of the game was the voice of Geralt but now it's simply the dialog all over....

What to do?
    I admit: i didnt read the whole thread.

Anyways: Played all 3 witcher games with their respective DLCs. Even read the books but the following is what crossed my mind reading the first few posts:

(These MAY contain spoilers so be aware)

The Witcher (1 2 or 3 doesnt matter) is unlike the name suggests not mainly about the trade of a witcher. Its about a person named Geralt who HAPPENS TO BE a witcher. Even in the books most of the time they are talking and traveling and political scheming(forced by many outside of the "main group"). thats what this whole world is about. A man who is a witcher and therefore hated and feared by most (mainly by the peasents) as a mutant but ultimately wants to be left alone with his chosen family. Unfortunately he gets dragged in many political (sometimes magical which again boil down to political just with multiple races and even worlds) problems. Thats it.

However: you can "spice" up the action by just exploring the world. i happened to stumble over a lot more fights as long as i kept away from the main story.

But as others said this games just might not be for you. i feel you. i had the same problem with the first dozen hours of Mass Effect Andromeda. For me there was not enough "shooting"

Just my two cents about TW3 and The Witcher in general.

Greets,
    A black and white bear xD

At first I thought the game was shallow, then I realized I didn't understand how the potions and stuff worked. I went through the whole game conserving them thinking you could waste them, lol. On my second playthrough, I had a much better time with the gameplay. Also, the Blood and Wine expansion is the best story game I've ever played.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    I've never been able to finish the game, or touch the DLCs. I just get bored before the end, everytime. Witcher 1 I did finish and Witcher 2 I barely touched.

Perhaps I should skip side quests, unless I need to level I'm a completionist, so everything has to be explored.
    Just play Blood and Wine. It's pretty short, and if you don't like it, you can know for sure that you don't like the Witcher. You can start with a template character by just opening witcher 3 and starting a new blood and wine campaign. It may contain spoilers from previous witcher content so if you care about that, there it is, but yeah, I always tell people to play Blood and Wine, then after that they need no input from me about their Witcher preferences.

IMO, those who haven't played Blood and Wine have not experienced the best the Witcher has to offer(and in fact, all other Witcher content, including the books, pales in comparison, imho). Blood and Wine is the best dlc ever made for any game imo. It could be a standalone game and be the best game ever made, imo.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-02-18 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Personman View Post
    Well yes, that's pretty much what I was saying =p. I'm not calling the games and their stories bad at all but they're wont be something something I'll revisit myself.

I think what bugged me about Geralt more was his execution. Witchers are loathed and reviled around the world yet hes so famous and rubbing elbows with royalty and what not its like ok so what if random yokel calls you something mean. One of your best friends is a freaking Empress. They try to ride this sympathy angle for Geralt and witchers in general but its like it wants to have its cake and eat it too. It always stuck in my craw, mostly in 3, the other two is wasn't nearly as pronounced.

His character just seems kinda inconsistent too in ways that I couldn't stand. The greatest example for me:

To save Ciri Geralt, someone who has supposedly been misunderstood, spat on, risk his life for little to no thanks and wallowed in the under world for how long must be the perfect loving step father and have a snowball fight with her... ok. Right, that fits with him totally. The bastard wouldn't have a clue what to do with Ciri, give me a break. I mean hell wasn't a cop out reason for his monotone voice because he lost most of his emotions when he became a witcher? So that just makes it more ridiculous. I went with what I felt fit him the most and I got punished for it with a bad ending. That left me rather upset.
    I think the game did a good enough of a job communicating that it is not specifically Geralt that is loathed. It's witchers in general, those who do know Geralt knows he's nothing like the stereotypes - which are not entirely unfounded, if you look at Lambert and Letho. When you see a scene of Geralt getting trashtalked, it's usually some peasants doing this. Also, there is exactly one royalty that doesn't hate or wants to get rid of Geralt, both in the books and in games, and that's Foltest, because he saved his daughter twice and his own life in W1's ending. Just because they employ him because of his fame or circumstances doesn't mean they like him. Every time you see Emreis in W3, it can end up with them clashing.

Now, what the games may not have communicated that well, is that Geralt's mutation didn't strip him of emotions, as it did most witchers. This is explored a lot more in the books, and there is no doubt that he does have emotions, just like normal people. And that he wishes to live a normal life. He knows he probably won't, but that doesn't stop him from dreaming about it. Even without knowing this, I think everyone could sympathize with someone always trying to do the right thing and being rewarded with hate and prejudice, as it happens to Geralt.

As for his relationship with Ciri, it goes double. I don't really remember if it's said in W3, specifically, but he (and Yennefer) absolutely considers her his adopted daughter, and he spent years in total with her. To say that he wouldn't know what to do with her... Just shows you weren't paying attention, especially considering the game has retrospections with them in Kaer Morhen.

My point is, I think Witcher games are supposed to be played knowing at least the outlines of the books' story, and they are probably nowhere near as enjoyable without that. It's a bit like watching a show starting from a third season - even if the show does a decent job trying to be an isolated story and has a lot of flashbacks, you're not getting the full picture. Take it from someone who has read the books and played through every game several times (in the original language, no less, which I think also matters) - Geralt is a perfectly consistent character. I think the bad ending of W3 is the only one that is absolutely impossible to be a canonic one, since Geralt would never say a bad word to Ciri.
    I can't objectively comment whether or not the writers of the game's story did a good enough job at explaining things or is it some players that haven't paid enough attention to the explanation, given that I already knew all the background and more when coming into the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

This atmosphere of the game, I recommend to go through all parts of the game from the first

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda stuck during brother's of skellige why does it keep refusing to show me objectives? Really getting fucking annoying and I'm doing like 3 quests just to do the main one atm and they're all being retarded. No issues until now.. and yeah I'm a late bloomer, this is the first thread that came up and search has never worked on this forum.

I'm literally stuck, on a really fucking deep low cliff stand on the beach. The mountains are high, impossible to climb, would take a literal hour just to swim back. And I have no idea how I got there., I play this drunk/sober at random so I'm really fucking pissed right now cuz idk what I did.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2019-02-20 at 07:20 PM.

The card game is what really pulled me into it.

I am the king of cards !