Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is Exposure to People Different From You Good?

Look at diets. We know that certain diets are bad for us. But what about something not so easily quantifiable, such as people? Let's say, for example, that you're an intellectual. You begin gaming and are now surrounded by crass, anti-intellectual gamers. It's probably moral for you to keep an open mind and socialize with people different from you. But where do you draw the line? Doesn't it go without saying that you are the sum of those closest to you? Wouldn't you be affected by the toxicity of certain peers, in other words, become toxic yourself? We're supposed to be open to diversity but also avoid toxic people. Where do we draw the line? Should you expose yourself to things outside of your "tribe"?
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2019-02-15 at 01:48 AM.

Depends how different they are.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    So I look at other diets that I can't use as a diabetic. You what I do with the exposure to those other diets? I ignore them. I don't yell at people for following them or anything of that nature...I just ignore them because whatever merits those diets may have for those people (perceived or real) doesn't apply to me, and I'm an adult who has the ability to not jump off a bridge just because a friend says I should.

It is actually interesting to learn about the other diets. For diets that don't really work, it is interesting to hear people rationalize why they think they do. And for diets that do work (even though I'll never try them), I've learned something new including the reason behind that approach.

And this is similarly true for being exposed to people different from you. It can absolutely be a good thing that you can learn from. Over the years, I've learned a lot about people very different from me including members of different religions and countries. While I've never adopted their religious beliefs, I understand them and that helps me communicate better and consider alternatives better. As for people from different countries, I've adopted some changes to my cooking and items around my house that I've found taste good or work well...things that wouldn't have happened if I stayed stuck in the bubble I was raised in.

As for toxic people, you simply ignore them. Again, I'm an adult who has the ability to not jump off a bridge just because someone says I should or because someone is annoying me. Being intelligent means learning from your experience. Being stupid and/or lazy means just doing what others do. If being around toxic people makes you toxic, that shows a bigger problem with you than with them.

It's not good, it's not bad, it just is.

Your personal value system may be different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different? Yes

Stupid? No
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Depends on the departments in which they're different, obviously. Most of my friends and exes are from outside my tribe, so I guess I do find differences interesting. Diversity is only a cause for concern when the Others are totalitarian and psychopathic, really. That's not to belittle the numerical importance of the aforementioned psychos of course - they are legion, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

People can be very similar to myself (gender, appearance, age, interests) and still be stupid or toxic.
    Hence, not my cup of tea for company. They'd annoy me and I'd probably annoy them.

At the same time, people very different from myself can be very rewarding as company because they're friendly, sociable and we get along. For example, I love dogs, eat pork, Atheist. My best friend through grades 3 to 5 was a Muslim girl from a traditional Muslim family. We got along like 2 peas in a pod until they moved down south.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

/10boxcars
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Depends. I think there's a distinction between exposure to different positions (generally good) and surrounding yourself with them to the point you view them as a peer group.

For example funnyjunk.com. Easy place for stupid humor and crass jokes, gradually dragged me down to their level and I didn't like it so I went elsewhere.

If I knew of better places I probably would have left MMO-champion years ago. :P The WoW section is an unpleasable cesspool of negativity and the political section is...special.

Think of how a peer group while dieting could either draw you into relapsing out of petty jealousy or help keep you focused with encouragement. Doesn't mean you can't chat with both groups of people and benefit from that, but which you choose as your main group will impact things.

Yes. It'll help you form nuanced opinions and steel them for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Look at diets. We know that certain diets are bad for us. But what about something not so easily quantifiable, such as people? Let's say, for example, that you're an intellectual. You begin gaming and are now surrounded by crass, anti-intellectual gamers. It's probably moral for you to keep an open mind and socialize with people different from you. But where do you draw the line? Doesn't it go without saying that you are the sum of those closest to you? Wouldn't you be affected by the toxicity of certain peers, in other words, become toxic yourself? We're supposed to be open to diversity but also avoid toxic people. Where do we draw the line? Should you expose yourself to things outside of your "tribe"?
    "Crass anti intellectual gamers?" THe gaming industry is bigger than the movie industry and music industry combined. Half the world are gamers and they come as all sorts. If you don't like the people to do gaming with find some other gamers.

Did you type this out in 2001 and just hit post today?

Yes, so that you can learn from their good things and avoid their bad things. When traveling in other countries, I meet different types of people, and it gives me both good and bad experience. When I come back, I become a better version of myself. I also often play free multiplayer games on mantigames to expose myself to different global players - a great chance to socialize abroad without spending much money.

No. You should live your whole life in an echo chamber filled with people that agree with 100% of the things you believe in. Anything 99% or less is problematic and they are probably a bigot.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Let's turn this around and just ask in response: When was segregation good for anyone?
    Yah it's a complex question, but the answer except when you get to extremes is yes, exposure to otherness is usually positive in that it broadens your horizons and your understanding of the world at large.
    How can seeing life from a different angle not increase your awareness/understanding?
    (again, barring extremes)
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

I live in a state with the highest population density in the USA. I meet all kinds of people.

I think it’s really cool. For example my children’s friends had a birthday party at their house. They were too young to be the “drop off - pick up” age. So I stayed and chilled. The host was fucking dope.

He was Romanian. He cooked his country’s staple foods and was constantly telling me about them. It went on and on, we ended up taking shots of Romanian liquor and got hammered. I’m a historian, so I was really enjoying his cultural knowledge.

My wife was surprised AF because I usually keep to myself. This guy saw me and made sure my experience was great. I enjoyed that.

Now .. I have tons of those experiences. Various ethnicities. Beautiful stuff. M

Each culture has a thing that ticks you off sometimes lol, not getting into it. It’s just funny to me but that’s life.

Define different?

Different in their life experiences, perceptions, education, culture, upbringing, expertise? Good

Different in that you only see them different due to their appearance? Makes no difference

That's why diversity quotas are BS, one's appearance, skin colour, or what they have between their legs is a poor indicator of competence, intelligence or whether they are a good person. There's more diversity within groups than across them.

I work with and employ plenty of people from different backgrounds. It's nice to hear perspectives from all kinds of people, it makes you richer
    Last edited by Th3Scourge; 2019-02-15 at 03:32 AM.

Look at diets. We know that certain diets are bad for us. But what about something not so easily quantifiable, such as people? Let's say, for example, that you're an intellectual. You begin gaming and are now surrounded by crass, anti-intellectual gamers.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...i-Intellectual

I feel like you're projecting.

Yes.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to truly understand what your beliefs and values are- and why you believe them- is to understand, to the best of your ability, the beliefs and values of others.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Depends how different they are.
    This. The old saying," bad company corrupts good morals" comes to mind.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams