Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Soon to be daddy. Gimme your parenting tips

Soon to be daddy here. Or well, soon. In 7 months. Intentionally, incase you were wondering.

So parents of Mmo, what are your tips for proper parenting? Latter on is fine aswell as a baby only eats poops and sleeps.
    My moms tip was dont listen to anyone and decide what fits you. So have at it!

Don't drop the baby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drop the baby.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your kid will roll off the bed, it happens.

Not a parent so take thast into account, but imho it's very important to leave your child some free time of their own so they learn to occupy themselves. While grades and productivity are important, I have seen quite a few sad cases of people being 100% dependent on others for entertainment or even life choices because their parents just never let them breathing space to learn to think for themselves.

Also, vaccinate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Soon to be daddy here. Or well, soon. In 7 months. Intentionally, incase you were wondering.

So parents of Mmo, what are your tips for proper parenting? Latter on is fine aswell as a baby only eats poops and sleeps.
    eats poops and sleeps...vomits, screams, crie,s destroys souls, has no concept of time...

Your mother probably put it best as your instinct will kick in and tell you what to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    stock up on caffeine , you 'll need it

Leave the country and start a new life.

Set and enforce sleep times. So many parents live the "i never get any sleep" bullshit because they cant let their kid cry for 20 min.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    No hard drugs until 5.
    AM or PM?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Research shows that authoritative parenting is the most effective parenting approach. Listen to the people who study this stuff for a living. Basically, teach your kids how to think and learn from their mistakes, so they become independent adults.

"What to expect when you're expecting" book is a great resource for you and the mom.

"The Optimistic Child" by Martin Seligman is an excellent resource for promoting resilience in children. For when the kid is older.

Make sure mom has low stress during pregnancy, stress can have a lifelong impact on a child.

Spend time with your kid.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

First class should probably be a druid since theyre easy enough to level.

1. Don't assign them a gender at birth, call them babyself.
    2. Refuse all vaccination.
    3. Ask for their consent before changing their diaper otherwise it's the very same as rape.
    4. If at 3 years old your baby wants to change gender, quickly put them on hormones and completely ignore their health because 3 years old babies know exactly what they want in life.
    5. Support their well educated baby decisions no matter what, don't teach them anything useful like the facts of life or discipline, it could trigger them.
    6. Point number 5 will most likely fail so pre-emptively give up your gaming room to make your kid a safe space.
    7. Buy everything they want, pay for everything, don't let them have a student job. Make sure your kid is spoiled and never have to work until they're like 25 or sumshit.
    8. ???
    9. Should be a stable adult at this point. Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post

well well:

1 > get family around. Think about reliable family that might be able to babysit. You will eventually need to rest. Kids are tiring and being able to go out with the wife/girlfriend for a cinema or meal without the kids is heaven. trust me

2> Do not worry.
    3> Do not worry
    4> Do not worry

5> your FIRST task is to allow your kid to learn to fall asleep by himself/herself. This means ALLOW the kid to cry to go to sleep. This is entirely not natural since we want to stop the kid from crying. read 6
    6> each cry is a way of talking. You will soon differentiate between the cry " I am hungry", "I have done a poopoo. change my nappy", "I am bored", "I am trying to fall asleep", "I am not feeling well, I have pain". Each cry is different. you will know how to tell which is which.
    7> You need a doctor for you kid, Do not miss appointments. do not miss the vaccinations.

8>talk to your kids, yes really.

and most importantly
    9> dont listen to everything I have written. Your mum is your best ally!

• Anything you do, positive and negative, will be recorded during the 12hrs prior to, and 12hrs after, delivery. Your SO will refer to this time period for the remainder of your life, so be very careful what you say, do, and do not do during this period.
    • Do not be alarmed if you do not immediately bond with your child. Your SO has had 9 months to carry it day and night, so this will be new to you and not to her.
    • Your happy future will depend greatly on your ability, willingness, and offers to change, feed, and cleanup after the baby. Do not underestimate the power of voluntary offers to do these things!
    • Sleep when you can, where you can, as often as you can. You never know when you'll be able to sleep, so if an opportunity presents itself, DO IT.
    • Kids will imitate you. If they get hurt, they look at your reaction to determine how they should react. If you freak out, then they'll freak out. Don't freak out.
    • When your kid is older you can get them past the fear of thunderstorms by getting excited about them. Every time we had a thunderstorm, I made a big deal of getting excited about it and sitting on the back porch chair with my kids and ooh'ing and ahh'ing at the lightning, and getting excited for every big boom. Took a little time, but they started loving thunderstorms.

Now some gamer-specific items ...
    • Forget about regular raiding and timed dungeons and so forth. You will be required to drop everything at a moment's notice for the next 2-4 years.
    • Play games you can save.
    • Sometimes you can make a deal with your SO to schedule a night of raiding/etc -- but be prepared to reciprocate!
    • My youngest daughter became a gamer and a geek. My oldest daughter wants nothing to do with it. No guarantees on that being inherited!

Don't ask at the hospital about their return policy, they don't have a sense of humor about it.

It's never too late to abort.

as a father of 2 young ones...get used to less sleep, and have beer available. I'll add that is the most rewarding experience of your life. Enjoy them while they are young, they grow up so fast.

Father of 2 boys here.....

Enjoy the next several months of sleep for they will be your last. Watching your wife grow pregnant has its ups and downs for her. Side effects vary, my wife was chundering for first few months of pregnancy for both. Her thyroid function went off the rails too and needed hormone pills to bring it within range. That is very important for the babies intelligence as the brain develops in the early months and the mothers thyroid hormones plays a crucial role.

Instinct will kick in for both of you unless you're both sub 80 iq, a lot of it comes naturally as you get experienced

Don't fall for the Bassinet meme, more infants die of sids in them than out. Depending on your country the laws for Bassinets can be pretty lax. For ours we used a portable cot with an upper level for the first couple months each so the infant is high up for ease of reach at night.

Speaking of the cot, let the cot be in your bedroom for now because its easier for the mum to tend to it about 500 times a night.

Don't drink coffee in front of your partner because if shes breast feeding she can't have any and she will get pissy at you

Changing an infant is really simple because it lays there and its poos are easy to manage. If it sharts constantly each nappy change then mum needs to watch what shes eating because something thats upsetting the baby is getting through her titties. Usually its dairy, for our 2nd its dairy and nuts that seem to upset him through the milk.

Speaking of changing nappies, if its a boy then something thats seldom told is that you occasionally need to clean its shit from out of the foreskin. Great fun /s
    I don't have a daughter but I imagine that must be even more fun to clean shit from places you don't ever want to go near.

I hate to say 'be a man and do x' as its usually code for getting us to do something that is not in our interest to do. But you need to help as much as possible cos Mum is going to be fucked right up until the baby can get into a sleep routine. Change nappies, wash and sterilise bottles and pump, wash clothing (your washing machine gonna go 24/7), help with all the things. It also brings the family unit together closer at this crucial time. Men aren't meant to do it, its hard for us to do it with our testosterone (you will know what I mean), but you must do it and do it with a smile on your face.

Your wife will more than likely get Post Natal Depression for the first child, allow her to get the help she needs - doctor, psychiatrist and your understanding.

Life as you know it has forever changed and you have become a True Adult™ who lives for your childrens well being. Like it or not but to a child the world revolves around them and YOU are their world. But its not all bad, occasionally you can get a date night going if you have parents on either side that can baby sit every so often. Next month we are going to our first metal gig in 5 years, yay!

Well theres a few tips for the first few months. Proper way to cradle the baby and support its neck etc will be shown to you by the hospital if no one else. Its quite instinctual, you end up being able to hold anyones baby like its 2nd nature!
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”