Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hehalol View Post
    WALLS ALWAYS WORK
    50% of the time walls work 100% of the time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Well, to build a wall at the border all the way, one would assume you need a road to get to the border (the machinery needs to be able to move there).

The road alone costs 5 million per mile. Half of the budget goes to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I think 10 million per mile is way underbudgeted to create an actual wall​ that has some kind of a deterrent.
    What ever do you mean puupi?! I thought I could drop a command center anywhere and begin building!
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I have absolutely no idea of your race, gender, or ethnicity or even location and regardless I can say "don't illegally cross a border then"? The reason I can say that without knowing anything about you is because if you were crossing the US border into Mexico or the Mexican border into the US, the comment would hold true regardless. If you were crossing the Russian border into China, same. If it was the Chinese border into Mongolia, same.

The point is, don't cross into a country illegally and you don't have to worry about these things.
    Well, I was not illegally crossing anywhere, so knowledge about me is kind of pointless. But he crossed the Iron Curtain, fleeing the Soviets. West Germany actually wanted him, it was the other side that shot at him.

have you ever heard of a country called Israel? China? Maybe do some research seeing as you have zero clue what u are talking about. WALLS ALWAYS WORK
    Huh? The great wall of China did not work lmao, they went around it and made holes through it. Israel is a forbidden topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    So the solution is to make it worse and transition into dictatorship? Interesting argument.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that. I do however think there needs to be some sort of... (yes, human nature makes this impossible) unbiased body above all of it. Something that can not really make, change or remove "laws" (that people think when they think laws) but a body that can alter fundamental things like...

1.) Can't run for office, while in office. This goes from a city level, to a federal level.
    2.) Drastically alter the way these "terms" and "sessions" work. From top-to-bottom, how the hell does it make sense to have a job and only have to work ~1/3 of the year?
    3.) Term limits.
    4.) Don't get paid when the government shuts down, and don't get back-pay when it reopens. Of course this applies only to congress/senate, not the workers themselves.
    5.) Can't do stupid shit like hold a bill up while talking bullshit because you don't want something to go to a vote.
    and countless more.

Have you ever heard people say meteorology is the only field you can be wrong, every day, and still have a job? If so, take that type of thought (and what it's trying to imply) and apply it to congress/senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Else they aint paying for shiiit. So US scumbag president bypasses congress to get shit done he cant get done democratically. How yall feel about that?
    Lets hope donny the idiot gets this to pass. than we have precedent in place that means we can use these emergency powers to combat climate change, gun control healthcare you name it all of which is true emergencies that are killing lots of people right now and in the case of climate change is a threat to the entire world.

So thank you republicans and donny for giving us progressive the tools we need to fix the problems when we get in power

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Well, I was not illegally crossing anywhere, so knowledge about me is kind of pointless. But he crossed the Iron Curtain, fleeing the Soviets. West Germany actually wanted him, it was the other side that shot at him.
    I didn't mean that about you specifically, everything I said applies to anyone and everyone, including your late father. He *still* tried/did cross a border illegally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that. I do however think there needs to be some sort of... (yes, human nature makes this impossible) unbiased body above all of it. Something that can not really make, change or remove "laws" (that people think when they think laws) but a body that can alter fundamental things like...

1.) Can't run for office, while in office. This goes from a city level, to a federal level.
    2.) Drastically alter the way these "terms" and "sessions" work. From top-to-bottom, how the hell does it make sense to have a job and only have to work ~1/3 of the year?
    3.) Term limits.
    4.) Don't get paid when the government shuts down, and don't get back-pay when it reopens. Of course this applies only to congress/senate, not the workers themselves.
    5.) Can't do stupid shit like hold a bill up while talking bullshit because you don't want something to go to a vote.
    and countless more.

Have you ever heard people say meteorology is the only field you can be wrong, every day, and still have a job? If so, take that type of thought (and what it's trying to imply) and apply it to congress/senate.
    I agree with all of these points without exception.

I didn't mean that about you specifically, everything I said applies to anyone and everyone, including your late father. He *still* tried/did cross a border illegally.
    Yeah, and he was aware of that. The point was more that shooting at desperate people fleeing violence is not something to joke about. They don't deserve that. Especially when the crossing itself is not necessarily illegal, as it would be in the case of the US. Coming over the border to ask for asylum is how the process works. The crossing itself is less the issue, living in a country in an undocumented fashion is. Shooting at people that want to claim asylum is one of the most monstrous things one can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    I agree with all of these points without exception.
    And you know why you would need some form of "oversight" body (yes, I know there's an oversight committee)? Because they can't be ass to do anything like that as it directly affects them.

Oh, another one, if you miss X votes, or attendance is low, you are removed from office.

Again, countless more things need to be change.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Yeah, and he was aware of that. The point was more that shooting at desperate people fleeing violence is not something to joke about. They don't deserve that. Especially when the crossing itself is not necessarily illegal, as it would be in the case of the US. Coming over the border to ask for asylum is how the process works. The crossing itself is less the issue, living in a country in an undocumented fashion is. Shooting at people that want to claim asylum is one of the most monstrous things one can do.
    So then walk through the ports of entry and calmly, and politely explain what you are doing, and you wouldn't have a problem? Of course this doesn't apply to your father, but I think you know what I'm trying to say.

However, if you want to go through (what I think everyone would consider?) a barren wasteland to get into the country, that's not really a good sign of you wanting to enter a country legally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Just try to imagine the fucking shit storm if Obama did some shit like this.
    I think it would depend on what he tried doing it with?

Do I think doing it for something as major as a border wall is different than something as silly as gun control? Absolutely. Healthcare? Absolutely.

At the same time, do I think it will do anything, compared to it's cost? Minimally. It's the same argument as banning all guns would have a minimal effect on gun violence.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I'm definitely gonna visit the wall after its built so I can see it in all its glory. Hope someone spray paints big tears on it lol
    You really sound like an absolute imbecile when you post stuff like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Huh? The great wall of China did not work lmao, they went around it and made holes through it. Israel is a forbidden topic.
    They went around it and made holes.... so you are saying it was pretty good at keeping people out lolololol. So dense. SO you agree it will help then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    Except it won't, because you're:
    A - Not factoring in annual maintenance but much more importantly

B - The majority of illegal immigrants enter legally and overstay their visa, which the wall will have 0 effect on. Any cost-benefit analysis which doesn't acknowledge this is deliberately skewed so as to be misleading.

And all of this assumes that the wall would be completed before Trump leaves office (dubious, given the scale, even assuming he wins a second term) and that some future president doesn't cut funding to use the money for something else, leaving us with a partially finished national embarrassment crumbling away in the desert.
    You are wrong, only 42% are visa overstays, making the majority of illegal immigrants border crossings.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    You are wrong, only 42% are visa overstays, making the majority of illegal immigrants border crossings.
    lol the guy thinks a concrete wall will take extensive money to maintain man. Dont even try changing his mind.

They went around it and made holes.... so you are saying it was pretty good at keeping people out lolololol. So dense. SO you agree it will help then.
    I never said it would not help lol. I am just saying they always get abandoned for one reason or another, and in this day and age expect terrorist acts to take it down.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I never said it would not help lol. I am just saying they always get abandoned for one reason or another, and in this day and age expect terrorist acts to take it down.
    expect there to be people with guns at the wall shooting people at some point as well then too lol. Seems like the wall is working exactly like it always has....

And you know why you would need some form of "oversight" body (yes, I know there's an oversight committee)? Because they can't be ass to do anything like that as it directly affects them.

Oh, another one, if you miss X votes, or attendance is low, you are removed from office.

Again, countless more things need to be change.

- - - Updated - - -

So then walk through the ports of entry and calmly, and politely explain what you are doing, and you wouldn't have a problem? Of course this doesn't apply to your father, but I think you know what I'm trying to say.

However, if you want to go through (what I think everyone would consider?) a barren wasteland to get into the country, that's not really a good sign of you wanting to enter a country legally.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it would depend on what he tried doing it with?

Do I think doing it for something as major as a border wall is different than something as silly as gun control? Absolutely. Healthcare? Absolutely.

At the same time, do I think it will do anything, compared to it's cost? Minimally. It's the same argument as banning all guns would have a minimal effect on gun violence.
    I think part of it is that at legal points of entry, you can get turned away before you come in. At least that came up in relation to that caravan.
    I mean, I might be wrong about US law and someone else might know better, but as far as I understand it, it works like this.
    - You can only apply for asylum once you are inside the US.
    - At crossings, officials can turn you away before you enter, or they might just close the station completely.
    - Turning someone away from entering the country is not the same as denying asylum, skipping the whole seeking process and needing less of a reason.

Basically, once you are inside, they actually have to look at your application and let you make it, but at the station they can just tell you to go away or wait indefinitely.

expect there to be people with guns at the wall shooting people at some point as well then too lol. Seems like the wall is working exactly like it always has....
    You can load up an undetectable drone with enough explosive power to make a hole in any size wall they build. I am just playing devils advocate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    You really sound like an absolute imbecile when you post stuff like this.
    Some guy on the internet from Portland Oregon of all places thinks I sound like an imbecile Haha. Trust me, your opinion means nothing to me.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    In short, the Great Wall was very effective because
    - it limited the point of attack to (relatively) few gates instead anywhere along the Chinese northern border
    - it gave infantry dominated Chinese garrison a fighting chance against mostly cavalry-based nomadic invaders.
    - it in effect eliminated small scale raid inside the wall because Chinese garrison could seal off the gate and deal with invaders in Chinese's own turf. My limited knowledge in Chinese history, I have not recall any recorded raid inside the wall with less than 10,000 men.
    - The wall is not non-permeable. This perhaps is the one of major misconception that the Great Wall was not effective. The wall itself couldn't stop large-scale invasion. But even with large army, invading force either need to spare forces to keep the gate open (something nomads are not as good at doing so), or need to preserve enough strength to fight its way back. Thus makes laying a siege to a city inside the wall relatively difficult. There are numerous Mongols and Manchus' failed siege as examples.

go do research instead of posting your "hear-say" on this forum man.