Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    The reality is, Amazon didn't need a second HQ. Amazon has stated they are not pursuing the creation of a second HQ somewhere else and are instead planning to expand at existing locales. That means they basically ran a scam.

They got what they wanted, heaps of data from every city that licked their boots in hope to get their business - https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...OmeK4uicml7M8A
    Another interesting quote, from a different article, that supports your thesis is that Amazon made an official comment about continuing to hire more and more New Yorkers over time. Apparently, Amazon is just not angry at the fact that the NY deal did not go through.

If this is the reality of it all, then the political battle that has happened is absolutely in their best interest (they don't care who wins, just that the battle is fought) since it allows them to take their data in peace. Get the middle class and working class people to fight each other so that they can take their spoils undeterred.

This also explains why corporate America loves Fox News so much. Fox News divides the country so that they can take our money. Actually, it is really worse than this. Fox News watchers tend to go full out defending whatever Corporate America wants, and often this is very much at the expense of the middle class and working class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    While Amazon might have been good for NY's economy in the short term you have to remember what they do to local businesses and the people that work for them. The more you think about it the more fucked it gets. Businesses in NY also were expecting Amazon to move in and were negatively effected. Real estate dropped 40% alone in some areas because they cancelled their move.

I don't like Amazon. I don't like AOC either, she's even worse. She's a fucking moron and is the left's new darling and can do no wrong it seems.
    We need to start with why Cortez is being attached to this at all. Cortez has nothing to do with Amazon's choice. She's a representative of New York to the national Congress. Her opinions may reflect that she has better insight into what's going on locally, but she does not control local policy. She votes on national policy. If Amazon courts her vote, they're doing so for the benefit of their national entity, not their local office.

When Amazon says, "a number of state and local politicians have made it clear that they oppose our presence," they are not referring to Cortez, because a positive relationship with Cortez will have no impact on Amazon's business. They are talking about the fact that nearly every local and state official - except the governor and the mayor - has lambasted the deal as costly to taxpayers while giving little to offset that cost beyond a nebulous statement of "Amazon makes a lot of money, somehow that money will trickle down to you because, you know, tech, Amazon, reasons..."

OP and others claiming they're not stirring up intellectually dishonest horseshit need to remember to wipe it off their feet at the door first. It's just sloppy to bring up someone who only gets attention from one side of the aisle, and who has no attachment to this deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems states being played out against each other benefits nobody but the companies. The nation loses money as a whole on top of that.

Also Cortez got elected recently in a district, so how does she even effect things like this in progress for how long? My, my you people are really scared shitless of her aren't you?

This is just a larger scale NFL team stadium deals and nothing more. This is a win for the people who would lose out to gentrification, inflated housing costs and a loss of identity. Corporate blowjobs should not be a thing anymore its becoming another case of the Robber Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    Oh no, a company that is reported to have paid $0 on federal taxes this year couldn't get a deal to pay $0 in state taxes
    This is so misleading I'm not at all surprised gullible idiots bought into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemente Feliz View Post
    This is so misleading I'm not at all surprised gullible idiots bought into it.

The HAVE paid $0 Federal Taxes over the last 2 years, and they ARE working to pay $0 in state taxes as well. What he wrote seems completely accurate.

Conservatives have called for the elimination of corporate taxes for a long time. If anything, you should be applauding this as a goal accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    The HAVE paid $0 Federal Taxes over the last 2 years, and they ARE working to pay $0 in state taxes as well. What he wrote seems completely accurate.

Conservatives have called for the elimination of corporate taxes for a long time. If anything, you should be applauding this as a goal accomplished.
    They are writing off taxes from the losses that came from their expansion. They are doing exactly what we want them to do lol.

Bullshit peddlers ofc don't want you to know this.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2019-02-16 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are writing off taxes from the losses that came from their expansion. They are doing exactly what we want them to do lol.
    If you as a tax payer tried to play the system as corporations do the IRS wouldn't simply let you proceed. So what they are doing considering corporations are now people in the US is simply abusing the system.

Such financial advantages should not be granted to such big companies with immense capital behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    If you as a tax payer tried to play the system as corporations do the IRS wouldn't simply let you proceed. So what they are doing considering corporations are now people in the US is simply abusing the system.

Such financial advantages should not be granted to such big companies with immense capital behind them.
    If you are losing money from your investment you can write that off from your taxes too.

Its something anyone can do, it is not new. I'm sorry that you fall for the lies fabricated by bullshit peddlers.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are losing money from your investment you can write that off from your taxes too.

Its something anyone can do, it is not new. I'm sorry that you fall for the lies fabricated by bullshit peddlers.
    Investments into what your business? You are again then speaking of businesses. I am speaking of employees not employers. I'm sorry that rather obvious bit wasn't obvious enough for you to comprehend.

Investments into what your business? You are again then speaking of businesses. I am speaking of employees not employers. I'm sorry that rather obvious bit wasn't obvious enough for you to comprehend.
    Investments in general. If you donate to a charity you can write that off, take a loan to buy a house deduct it. Americans have plenty of stuff that they can write off from their taxes, that they take advantage of them is another story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Investments in general. If you donate to a charity you can write that off, take a loan to buy a house deduct it. Americans have plenty of stuff that they can write off from their taxes, that they take advantage of them is another story.
    Charity is without a doubt capped. And a regular american doesn't have the capital to buy enough houses each year to reduce their taxes to nothing and i'm fairly certain that is also capped.

So it's not the same thing. Why are you defending practices that you don't benefit from but actually have to pay more for?

So, the company that pays $0 in taxes wanted even more handouts from the government and people told them to fuck off?

Good. Fuck Amazon.

The majority of Americans don't have access to things that can be deducted from taxes. Ironically, tax deductions are largely aimed at people who don't have problems paying their taxes. People don't realize that the "tax loopholes" often cited are a fairy tale, because people and companies aren't exploiting loopholes - they're exploiting explicit tax code written in their favor that simply don't exist for the lower classes. (This whole sidetrack is also disingenuous horse shit.)
    Last edited by Grapemask; 2019-02-17 at 12:41 AM.

Oh, so she's the convenient scapegoat now that Hillary is no longer a viable target? Good to know.

If Amazon ever said that, it was damage control. A major multinational such as them don't give two shits if some Congressional representative slings mud at them. They ran a cost/benefit analysis or twelve, it didn't pan out, the projected slowing down of the economy probably didn't help, thus they stopped the project.

Probably good for them as well, a second major HQ sounds like a logistical nightmare to me.

Charity is without a doubt capped. And a regular american doesn't have the capital to buy enough houses each year to reduce their taxes to nothing and i'm fairly certain that is also capped.
    If you are poor then your tax burden is significantly less than someone that is wealthier. Again, I don't really see the problem.

I don't like the deductions, but its because I don't like what they are subsidizing (homeownership).

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I like how the tax subsidy works so that the corporation doesn't pay taxes but DONT WORRY! The employees pay for that subsidy through their income taxes. Really great system. Are the problems amazon was facing that big a deal if the mayor and governor and 70% of the citizens in New York support it? Although if more representatives become people like Ocasio and centrist democrats get outed Amazon could gen in a bad position.
    Much like sport stadiums it seldom net benefits the tax payers, but always look good for the politician in the headlines that does these deals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Oh, so she's the convenient scapegoat now that Hillary is no longer a viable target? Good to know.
    If AOC cured cancer, they'd be bitching that she put Big Pharma out of work.
    Putin khuliyo

But none of those are losses, which is what your last comment was about.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are poor then your tax burden is significantly less than someone that is wealthier. Again, I don't really see the problem.

I don't like the deductions, but its because I don't like what they are subsidizing (homeownership).
    This is false due to how taxes are setup especially in the US. I suggest you to actually look into this. As for you disliking personal home ownership that's another oddity considering the size of the US.

But i'm not going to further debate this with a person who i doubt their intentions are honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    But none of those are losses, which is what your last comment was about.
    Either the person doesn't know what he is talking about throwing everything together on one big pile or they are trying to make an argument by being obtuse, that's the general vibe i get from mittens.