Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The only way to stop global climate change is for the human race to revert back to a pre-industrial state. I'm talking medieval, substance farming levels. Otherwise, we just create too much pollution as a species. Of course in order to get to a sustainable state like that we are going to need to let a couple of billion people die. Two-thirds of the earth's population should do, get to the right level and just stay there. No more progress, no more striving for something new. Just maintain the status quo, people can live to the ripe old age of mid-thirties then die.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

Kids today have far more exposure to everything now compared to the adults of today that were kids a decade+ ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you were even remotely interested in approaching this honestly, you'd have seen the link in that post, which would have taken you to all the information you're claiming I didn't provide.

Maybe try reading posts before making up accusations that aren't remotely true.
    They don't make any specific predictions though. How am I suppose to inspect their predictive methodology when they don't release it for third party reproduction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    They don't make any specific predictions though. How am I suppose to inspect their predictive methodology when they don't release it for third party reproduction.
    First, define "specific predictions", because if you think they'll specify precise locations and figures, then you've mistaken scientists for fortune tellers, which is hilariously wrong. Scientists can't literally see the future, and they've never claimed to be able to, and expecting that to be the standard is absolute fucking nonsense that nobody will take seriously.

Second, once we're past the above bump, you're completely incorrect. Plenty of specificity and data to be had, you just can't be arsed to look for it, hence this bullshit and factually incorrect response you've posted.

I never understood the hatred for people who want the overall planet to be better and more sustainable. Come out west and see how beautiful the areas are and embrace the outdoor life for a bit and get why it is so important to protect it. Just looking at pictures of flying into New York or L.A with the smog and disgusting taste that was not to long ago ( the 1970s ). Even if they find that the effects wont be felt for 3-4 generations down the road why not make it as less impactful for them while we can?

7+ Year Old Account
    First, define "specific predictions", because if you think they'll specify precise locations and figures, then you've mistaken scientists for fortune tellers, which is hilariously wrong. Scientists can't literally see the future, and they've never claimed to be able to, and expecting that to be the standard is absolute fucking nonsense that nobody will take seriously.

Second, once we're past the above bump, you're completely incorrect. Plenty of specificity and data to be had, you just can't be arsed to look for it, hence this bullshit and factually incorrect response you've posted.
    Okay well if they are not going to predict how it will effect quantities like population, GDP, agricultural output, etc, then i'll wait till they have more specific information. I'm not interested in vague prophecy. I'm interested in verifiable predictions in which we can track each year or even five years to see whether or not their forecasts of the future matches reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    I never understood the hatred for people who want the overall planet to be better and more sustainable. Come out west and see how beautiful the areas are and embrace the outdoor life for a bit and get why it is so important to protect it. Just looking at pictures of flying into New York or L.A with the smog and disgusting taste that was not to long ago ( the 1970s ). Even if they find that the effects wont be felt for 3-4 generations down the road why not make it as less impactful for them while we can?
    They think their $400 in Exxon stock will make them millionaires if not for environmental regulations.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay well if they are not going to predict how it will effect quantities like population, GDP, agricultural output, etc, then i'll wait till they have more specific information. I'm not interested in vague prophecy. I'm interested in verifiable predictions in which we can track each year or even five years to see whether or not their forecasts of the future matches reality.
    They literally do.

You're not bothering to check the source, and then you're posting here to lie about it.

7+ Year Old Account
    They literally do.

You're not bothering to check the source, and then you're posting here to lie about it.
    Dude I looked at the PDF, they don't give any predictive methodologies for any of the key parameters I mentioned. I guarantee you that governments are not going to do anything non-trivial based on a report this vague.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude I looked at the PDF, they don't give any predictive methodologies for any of the key parameters I mentioned. I guarantee you that governments are not going to do anything non-trivial based on a report this vague.
    Unless your standard is "can literally see the future like a psychic claims to", they provide exactly the information you're claiming they don't. You might have to follow through to source material to get the full details, but, well, welcome to academic writing. This will be true for basically everything written for any academic field.

The report isn't "vague". You are continuously and unrepentantly lying about the facts, here. This is what climate change denial looks like, folks.

As a case in point for how blatantly you're lying about this, Section 7.4 provides plenty of info on agricultural projections, Chapter 10 breaks down economic impacts sector-by-sector, getting way deeper than just GDP, Chapter 11 deals entirely with impacts to human health, etc. The information's there. If you bother to look, and aren't just hand-waving it away, like you are.

It's only a little over 1100 pages of dense technical analysis, I'm sure you parsed through the whole thing in detail in the few minutes you took. Just for the report itself, not considering the tens of thousands of pages of cited source material.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-05-25 at 03:58 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Unless your standard is "can literally see the future like a psychic claims to", they provide exactly the information you're claiming they don't. You might have to follow through to source material to get the full details, but, well, welcome to academic writing. This will be true for basically everything written for any academic field.

The report isn't "vague". You are continuously and unrepentantly lying about the facts, here. This is what climate change denial looks like, folks.
    Okay if these reports start with the disclosure that "the future is unpredictable in principle" that's all I'm asking for. Mainly relating to macro-economics. When we have 7 billion problem solvers waking up each day and getting slightly better each day, you would have to be a complete fool to think anyone can pre-determine the aggregate effect of this process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay if these reports start with the disclosure that "the future is unpredictable in principle" that's all I'm asking for. Mainly relating to macro-economics. When we have 7 billion problem solvers waking up each day and getting slightly better each day, you would have to be a complete fool to think anyone can pre-determine the aggregate effect of this process.
    Like I said, you're confusing science with literal magic. No scientist can perfectly predict the future, and none of them make such claims. This is a nonsense standard that shows a complete failure to grasp what science is and how it works.

You're accusing scientists of claiming to see the future, and getting it wrong. Literally none of that is true.

There is no such thing about freaking out too much about climate change.

7+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, you're confusing science with literal magic. No scientist can perfectly predict the future, and none of them make such claims. This is a nonsense standard that shows a complete failure to grasp what science is and how it works.

You're accusing scientists of claiming to see the future, and getting it wrong. Literally none of that is true.
    Nah I'm just reminding you of the vast limitations of science in making predictions where human subjects are in the equation. All the supercomputers in the world running climate simulations tells us almost nothing about the future livability of a planet that is being constantly reshaped and refined by us, on a daily basis, to make it more hospitable for more people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Nope. But they are wasting their time, no one will listen ... politicians have the facts but they don't care. We are doomed, not just from climate change but from pollution overall.
    When will the doom start kicking in? When is population going to plummet? When will the GDP decrease? Surely you have some kind of methodology that backs up your prediction.

This entire thing recalls the Children's Crusade. This is far from the first time some appeal was made to the moral authority of children, untainted by the compromises of the world. The entire symbolism of the Children's crusade was to evidence the importance of the crusade cause itself to commoners, and not just the nobility of Middle Ages Europe.

And yet tens of thousands of Children in the Children's Crusade were sold into slavery.

This is not a particularly good stunt. It's never really worked. It won't work this time either. The problem of Climate Change is beyond dispute, but absolutionist solutions, brought on by Children expressing the urgency of it en masse is laughable. Climate Change solutions have to take into account the different political and economic scales (local, regional, national, continental, global), the different levels of development, the different political systems, the different agendas the leading parties have that may supercede Climate Concerns.

Emphasis on its importance isn't enough. It's not really anything. The Children's Climate Change Crusade isn't going to change how Climate plays into US-Chinese friction, of which Climate is but one part of an incredible complex relationship.

So no. The Children don't know best. They don't know anything. And stunts should be taken seriously. Anyone serious about climate change should be more alarmed that the system of addressing global problems with global solutions seems to be badly breaking down - something that will effect things well beyond Climate concerns as well - rather than being distressed at failing the children.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Population decline will take a long while but we'll start seeing serious irreversible consequences in about 300 years probably.
    Most GHGs will probably be obsolete in 60(?) years, meaning a lot GHGs would be leached out of the atmosphere in the following century. Assuming we don't outright find technology that let's us micro-manage the atmospheres composition.

To be fair they'll have to live it, whereas I'm probably going to be dead before the worst of it so it's easy for me to shrug off.

No, of course they aren't. This is something that will seriously affect the next generations. They have every right to be upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    Not really, Children are told half truths and lies. And I consider anyone under 30 to be a child.

The reality is 80% of the entire worlds pollution happens in China, India, and Russia. The US doesn't amount to shit all. Neither does the UK.

It's fear mongering at it's best. Designed to get Children afraid of something so bad that they'll let the government go in and regulate the shit out of it and control it.

It's literally the same tatic they used on Guns.
    Itbhappens in those countries, but a significant reason the west doesn't contribute is they outsource and import products made in those countries too. You cut those factories or regulate and sure, pollution goes down, but so does your economy.