Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese
    What name did you change yourself from so you could shitpost in this thread?

I think he's trying for edgy and doin' it wrong. Using that avatar and sig in this thread is about like going to a Trump rally and boldly yelling "lock her up!"
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Newsflash: Nobody gives a fuck what exchange students think. About anything. They exist to spend money.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

This whole thread really devolved into pointless whataboutism.

Regardless of where you fall on the issue of Tibet, I'd like to think any rational adult would agree treating a college student the way this one has been treated, just because of her religion/ethnicity, isn't really acceptable. If she won the student government election, she must have had a lot more votes than just the handful of Tibetan students on campus. Maybe the Chinese student body there should focus on integrating and reaching out better and getting a Chinese student elected.

Build yourselves up, don't tear someone else down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys
    Newsflash: Nobody gives a fuck what exchange students think. About anything. They exist to spend money.
    Ah, you must be in university administration! If you were a student you'd know they're there to dress in ethnic garb and sell ethnic food (and alcohol where permitted) at international student events.

@Stelio Kontos It doesn't matter why, it doesn't matter who. Law and academic rules should be enforced across the board. If there is a threat of criminal violence (or other criminal act), it doesn't matter if it is a Chinese student or a guy from Calgary just playing the troll, it should be investigated and handled as a crime. If it falls under academic rules, then the university should enforce those. It is small consolation, but if the abuse violated Facebook policy (I recall some things included attacks on Facebook), then those policies should be enforced.

As far as I can tell, we know things were said that might break one or all of those conditions. In fairness, I can't say that I've seen anything *yet* (I would hope this is an ongoing investigation) that establishes who said things. It could be the troll from Calgary, it could be a snarky grandma in Sichuan, it could be students but not students at that campus. Still, to the extent the various remedies can be applied, they should be.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    What name did you change yourself from so you could shitpost in this thread?
    I have used many names on this message board. I think that there is actually a way to look it up on my profile. But where am I "shitposting"? Everything I said is pretty much the truth.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2019-02-19 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    To be fair Americans think the same way even without propaganda.
    And here goes another person, who just couldn't refrain from using whataboutism. This is about China and their citizens, not USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie the Pooh Xi View Post
    I have used many names on this message board. I think that there is actually a way to look it up on my profile. But where am I "shitposting"? Everything I said is pretty much the truth.
    There isn't. And you know that. Otherwise you wouldn't be changing your name constantly because you want to avoid criticism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    There isn't. And you know that. Otherwise you wouldn't be changing your name constantly because you want to avoid criticism.
    What is the purpose of hiding a already anonymous identity with another one? It isn't like I established rapport with anyone here.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2019-02-20 at 12:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo
    This is about China and their citizens, not USA.
    A discussion -- as opposed to an echo chamber -- usually needs more than one side. What's the discussion then, in this thread? Bash China? Dump on Chinese/Asians? That's not a discussion and it would need to be closed since nation bashing threads, like race threads, are banned topics. The OP is phrased as a "have you stopped beating your wife yet" style question, leaving what you dismiss as whataboutism as the only avenue for discussion.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chinese apparently are the modern day Nazi Snowflakes. I can't believe the stuff that these privileged Chinese students are saying. The University of Toronto should be expelling these hateful cretins for all the threats made. Imagine if this were a group of white people saying these exact same kind of things to a black student president?

It is sad to see that a over a billion Chinese have turned into nationalistic cunts.
    They've been like that for a long time. I'd honestly prefer if these students get expelled and removed from Canada, but the universities are chicken shit and won't stand up to their own equality standards because they care more about the money that foreign students spend for an education than they do about their own principles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    A discussion -- as opposed to an echo chamber -- usually needs more than one side. What's the discussion then, in this thread? Bash China? Dump on Chinese/Asians? That's not a discussion and it would need to be closed since nation bashing threads, like race threads, are banned topics. The OP is phrased as a "have you stopped beating your wife yet" style question, leaving what you dismiss as whataboutism as the only avenue for discussion.
    Whataboutism is never a valid arguement and is generally used by someone who has already lost the debate whether they know it or not. I see the same shit in "anti putin" threads.

I also invoke Godwin because bashing the Chinese government would be like bashing Nazi Germany or North Korea. To be honest I do not know which one is worse.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2019-02-19 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I fail to see any reason why bashing on the current state of China would be bad. There is no love lost for autocratic regimes nor should there ever be.
    We also have to consider China and by proxy their citizens being unable to accept any criticism, no matter how valid.
    Half of this thread is just "but but but America/Americans do this and that" anyway, so... it all started with whataboutism in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also invoke Godwin because bashing the Chinese government would be like bashing Nazi Germany or North Korea. To be honest I do not know which one is worse.
    Are you misusing Godwin's law, or have you failed to expand enough on your point to make it clear?

Godwin’s law is the proposition that the longer an internet argument goes on, the higher the probability becomes that something or someone will be compared to Adolf Hitler.
    Whataboutism is never a valid arguement
    Making an imbalanced assertion and then trying to control discussion by invoking "whataboutism" is a rhetorical device to avoid addressing awkward omissions or comparisons. It is essentially a variation on the "no true Scotsman" fallacy:

No true Scotsman or appeal to purity is an informal fallacy in which one attempts to protect a universal generalization from counterexamples by changing the definition in an ad hoc fashion to exclude the counterexample.[1][2] Rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no true Scotsman would do such a thing"; i.e., those who perform that action are not part of our group and thus criticism of that action is not criticism of the group).[3]
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Calling that out is necessary or all that exists is an echo chamber. This thread, for example, uses a source that omits that the student in question is Canadian (see infra), to set up the proposition that it is unquestionable that Tibet is an occupied nation. There could easily have been a discussion, based on the article, of the way she was treated. In the alternative, it could have been spun off into a discussion of Tibet's status, but that wasn't done either. Should all comparisons or counter examples be blindly accepted? No, no more than they should be blindly dismissed. A rational discussion uses facts or examples that can be checked to explain and bolster opinions and disagreements should be similarly supported.

By noon, her phone was buzzing incessantly with notifications. But instead of messages of congratulations, Lhamo — a Canadian citizen of Tibetan origin — realized a photo she’d posted on Instagram for the Lunar New Year was attracting thousands of hateful comments, most rife with anti-Tibet sentiment, some threatening.
    Source: https://multiculturalmeanderings.com...ign-influence/

Quote Originally Posted by Easo
    We also have to consider China and by proxy their citizens being unable to accept any criticism, no matter how valid.
    That's a pretty sweeping generalization there, capped with a hefty assumption. That you believe something to be valid does not make it necessarily so, nor are either of us in the position to know what roughly a billion and a half people think.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2019-02-20 at 01:21 AM.

Why is this forum filled with idiots who wants to dictate how people in other countries should live according to their own cultural perspectives? You can't accept that people might be happy with the way things are in other countries? They must be living in fear? Be oppressed? Because they're not opposing it? Not everyone have to live by your culture and political system. Fucking idiots who think their culture and system is superior just because they agree with it and are incapable of seeing that others might want other ways to live than they do, other things they value in life, other goals. Having a different culture and system does not mean someone is living in fear or is oppressed.

- - - Updated - - -

The BIG fucking difference here (and I mean its a big fucking difference) is that Americans have the right to protest about a war. Try the same thing in China and you are sent to a prison camp or massacred by the military.
    No, you won't be sent to prison camp or be massacred if you protest about a war. Just don't be an idiot about it.
    Last edited by Katie N; 2019-02-20 at 10:27 AM.

I can't even muster any anger, it's just hearbreakingly sad really. Imagine living in a dictatorship where the regime brainwashes you daily. You're don't even stand a chance from birth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Why is this forum filled with idiots who wants to dictate how people in other countries should live according to their own cultural perspectives? You can't accept that people might be happy with the way things are in other countries? They must be living in fear? Be oppressed? Because they're not opposing it? Not everyone have to live by your culture and political system. Fucking idiots who think their culture and system is superior just because they agree with it and are incapable of seeing that others might want other ways to live than they do, other things they value in life, other goals. Having a different culture and system does not mean someone is living in fear or is oppressed.

No, you won't be sent to prison camp or be massacred if you protest about a war. Just don't be an idiot about it.
    Because this is the 21st century and totalitarian dictatorships (and the people who support them) should be criticized and judged by the rest of the civilized world. This is esp true if said dictatorship has the power to wipe all life off the face of the earth.

Warning if you live in China, do not click the link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_T...quare_protests

Warning if you live in China, do not click the link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_T...quare_protests
    What the fuck? @bungeebungee has linked that in past discussions, quoted from the supposedly banned content. Nothing has happened to him for that. I think you don't have any idea about China, to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    What the fuck? @bungeebungee has linked that in past discussions, quoted from the supposedly banned content. Nothing has happened to him for that. I think you don't have any idea about China, to be honest.
    It says within the Wiki link that China has been censoring the massacre for decades. It marks the end of China's free press and the beginning of state run media. I was posting a friendly warning that is all.

Obligatory "fuck china" post.

Tibet must be free, just like Taiwan must be free.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    It's pretty simple. China is a dictatorship run under a one party system where information is severely censored and limited. Claiming that there's no problem is practically saying it's fine to censor shit. That you in the S.K. are doing this, makes me wonder if you actually are even reading your own posts. You know, N.K. is majorly supported by china and they would like nothing more than to plow your freedoms into the sea.

Also, we have no proof that bungeebungee is actually a person who can post what he wants, when he wants. There's plenty of russian propaganda posters around here, no reason to think there's no chinese propaganda posters.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"