Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    So what? We have censorship on certain things here in South Korea as well although the only one I've encountered personally is porn pages being blocked. It's pretty common for countries in Asia to censor a lot of things on internet, not something unique to China. For example, Thailand prevented access to the Daily Mail because they were posting inappropriate pictures members of royal family.

    You act like they're being kept in ignorance of the world, that's simply not the case. Plenty have relatives abroad, plenty have lived abroad, plenty have have traveled the world and experienced other countries.
    Unusual point of view when you are from a country split in half and kept that way for the last 30 years by China.

  2. #142
    Dreadlord wunksta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    1. Not a dictatorship.
    Under Xi, a lot of changes have been made which may end up with him becoming a dictator. We will see what he does in 2022.

    There is nothing wrong with China.
    Imprisoning someone because they called Xi a 'steambun' seems like there is something wrong.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    China isn't occupying another country.

    And posting news from Taiwan about China is just.. sigh.
    It's much better to post news from China written personally by Chinese apparatchiks, amirite?


    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    1. Not a dictatorship.
    2. Not a one party system.
    3. Okay, so they censor? I really don't care.
    1. Ahahahaha. You are so full of it. Here, Article 1 of Chinese constitution. Text from the version including the latest amendments from 2018.
    The People's Republic of China is a socialist state under the people's democratic DICTATORSHIP led by the working class and based on the alliance of workers and peasants.
    If you want to dedicate your life to shilling for China, at least read their fundamental law so you have a clue what you are talking about. Or at least the first goddamn article of it.
    2. Riiiight. United Front is "only" outright managed and subservient to the CPC, and must accept its leading role in the government as a condition of their very existence. True political pluralism right there.
    3. So you don't care about human rights of people in China? How pro-Chinese people of you. And even more left wing of you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    There is nothing wrong with China.
    It might be hard to grasp for fanatics like you, but in the worldwide stage they are not the bad guys. WE ARE.
    You just admitted they use censorship. But hey, nothing wrong with China. Mistreatment of Uyghurs? That some of your own sources admitted (when you tried to dismiss that notion altogether)? Nah, that's swell. Xi Jinping getting rid of term limits so he can be president for life, despite those limits having in put in place specifically to prevent another Mao is also fantastic. So is their aggressive expansionism in South China Sea. Or their economic expansion to Africa and South America, in order to made countries there dependent on them in a neo-colonial bid for global influence. Or their deliberate devaluation of currencies to destabilize financial markets. Or invasion of Tibet.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You do know it's forbidden according to the forum rules to accuse people of trolling?
    So is peddling conspiracy theories. Just saying.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    You act like they're being kept in ignorance of the world, that's simply not the case. Plenty have relatives abroad, plenty have lived abroad, plenty have have traveled the world and experienced other countries.
    It's fascinating that you try to defend Chinese government's behavior here with "welp, the people that leave China are not ignorant about the world!". Great argument. Too bad for the untold millions of Chinese people that don't do that and are subjected to the glorious great firewall of China that has the exact purpose of keeping the population ignorant about what the Chinese government doesn't want them to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Slant is an extremist, willing to sacrifice the lives of everyone to keep his wet dream of the EU alive.
    You shouldn't support people like him, it's like supporting ISIS.

  4. #144
    1 thing we can all agree on in the states is that Trump is right being tough on China. Disgusting anti-human rights anti-democracy country.

  5. #145
    Scarab Lord Zoranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolbybolton View Post
    1 thing we can all agree on in the states is that Trump is right being tough on China. Disgusting anti-human rights anti-democracy country.
    The funniest thing is that China, unlike some other dictatorships does not even bother to hide that is it not democratic, I mean their constitution outright states so. Of course that does not stop deluded western leftists from claiming otherwise.

    Oh well, goes to prove yet again how despicable the far left is.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

  6. #146
    Over 9000! Freighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    It's fascinating that you try to defend Chinese government's behavior here with "welp, the people that leave China are not ignorant about the world!". Great argument. Too bad for the untold millions of Chinese people that don't do that and are subjected to the glorious great firewall of China that has the exact purpose of keeping the population ignorant about what the Chinese government doesn't want them to know.
    Your reply is simply straying into conspiracy theory territory, either that or gross ignorance. I can't access porn sites in South Korea, yet I know about them. Amazing, isn't it? How can I know about them even though it's blocked here? It's impossible that I could know of them because they're blocked.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-02-23 at 12:27 AM.

  7. #147
    Scarab Lord bungeebungee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC
    Posts
    4,930
    @Jinro Unpossible! The Great Firewall is very effective. It keeps Chinese universities from hiring foreigners to teach things like US Constitutional Law, to Chinese students. There are also no foreign universities with programs in China and no exchange programs. Chinese high schools never use programs like Cambridge International Examinations or AP. Relatives returning home from overseas for things like Spring Festival never talk or share pictures. There are no Chinese working for foreign companies in China, and they certainly never go abroad to work. Chinese students never come back to work in China after studying abroad. There are no Chinese tourists, and foreigners in China never sit around and talk with Chinese.

    Cisco did a hell of a job, eh?

    Edit: For a dated assessment that still seems to me on point: https://cs.stanford.edu/people/erobe...n-2/index.html

    The short version, their conclusion, runs as follows:
    The power of Chinese citizens cannot be underestimated, and the agency the average citizen has as a result of the internet, no matter how censored it may be, cannot be underestimated. In general rhetoric the image of the Chinese citizen is one of subservience to all-powerful and overwhelming government oppression. In truth, as always, the situation is a bit more complicated. With the ability of the internet to stir up outrage and uncover information, as well as connect disconnected parties, the Chinese citizen can still speak out and effect change against their government.
    Last edited by bungeebungee; 2019-02-23 at 02:26 AM.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

  8. #148
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Jinro Unpossible! The Great Firewall is very effective. It keeps Chinese universities from hiring foreigners to teach things like US Constitutional Law, to Chinese students. There are also no foreign universities with programs in China and no exchange programs. Chinese high schools never use programs like Cambridge International Examinations or AP. Relatives returning home from overseas for things like Spring Festival never talk or share pictures. There are no Chinese working for foreign companies in China, and they certainly never go abroad to work. Chinese students never come back to work in China after studying abroad. There are no Chinese tourists, and foreigners in China never sit around and talk with Chinese.

    Cisco did a hell of a job, eh?

    Edit: For a dated assessment that still seems to me on point: https://cs.stanford.edu/people/erobe...n-2/index.html

    The short version, their conclusion, runs as follows:
    I have a friend living in China, she gets around every block by connecting to a VPN set up by her brother at her home. They've managed to block it 2 times but he just has to disconnect and change some things and it's up and running again.

  9. #149
    Scarab Lord bungeebungee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dongbei, PRC
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Sparkie
    I have a friend living in China, she gets around every block by connecting to a VPN set up by her brother at her home. They've managed to block it 2 times but he just has to disconnect and change some things and it's up and running again.
    Yep, I'm a dinosaur for not using one. For me, it serves as a floor -- if I'm getting the information, with my Internet connection registered to a Chinese friend, I feel there is no excuse for my students not being able to dig up the same information with a bit of creative searching.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Wtf? No weapons? xD What is this? Restricted training environment?
    Commenting on "anything goes" for martial arts and self defense

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Your reply is simply straying into conspiracy theory territory, either that or gross ignorance. I can't access porn sites in South Korea, yet I know about them. Amazing, isn't it? How can I know about them even though it's blocked here? It's impossible that I could know of them because they're blocked.
    And yours is straying into a non-argument and beyond. It in no way addresses the fact that Chinese government is actively trying to stifle whatever information they don't like. Yay, you know about porn sites. The mere general fact that it's a thing that exists somewhere. But since they are blocked in your country, you have to go out of your way to actually know what's in them. Now apply that to news, where that difference is even more important. Dat access to information.


    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Jinro Unpossible! The Great Firewall is very effective. It keeps Chinese universities from hiring foreigners to teach things like US Constitutional Law, to Chinese students. There are also no foreign universities with programs in China and no exchange programs. Chinese high schools never use programs like Cambridge International Examinations or AP. Relatives returning home from overseas for things like Spring Festival never talk or share pictures. There are no Chinese working for foreign companies in China, and they certainly never go abroad to work. Chinese students never come back to work in China after studying abroad. There are no Chinese tourists, and foreigners in China never sit around and talk with Chinese.

    Cisco did a hell of a job, eh?
    You did even better job constructing this monumental straw-man. To the point the latter half of your brilliant non-arguments are examples of Chinese people leaving China, which is what Jinro said in the first place. With my reply being about the Chinese that don't do so for one reason or another. But hey, who'd care about reading things if you can champion how fantastic China is instead, amirite?


    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Edit: For a dated assessment that still seems to me on point: https://cs.stanford.edu/people/erobe...n-2/index.html

    The short version, their conclusion, runs as follows:
    The power of Chinese citizens cannot be underestimated, and the agency the average citizen has as a result of the internet, no matter how censored it may be, cannot be underestimated. In general rhetoric the image of the Chinese citizen is one of subservience to all-powerful and overwhelming government oppression. In truth, as always, the situation is a bit more complicated. With the ability of the internet to stir up outrage and uncover information, as well as connect disconnected parties, the Chinese citizen can still speak out and effect change against their government.
    You do realize your very source supposed to counter me explicitly admits that Chinese government is trying to keep people in the dark on numerous issues with its censorship? Which is what Jinro denied happening and which is what I actually replied to (and I can't recall saying it's 100% effective)? So thanks. Your post was entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Slant is an extremist, willing to sacrifice the lives of everyone to keep his wet dream of the EU alive.
    You shouldn't support people like him, it's like supporting ISIS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •