Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

China: Tibetan elected student president in Canada, Chinese students enraged

Chemi Lhamo, who studies at the University of Toronto’s Scarborough Campus, posted the following message on her Instagram page Sunday following news of her victory:

“Thank you to everyone for all the support and love. I’m honoured to share that I will be serving as the President of the University of Toronto Scarborough Student’s Union starting May 1st once ratified. Driven by my own values of wisdom and compassion, I’m looking forward to this new step.”

In the three days since the message was published, all of Lhamo’s Instagram posts have been flooded with inflammatory comments declaring support for China's occupation of Tibet, and denouncing her as a “religious whore” and “opportunistic traitor” among countless other insults.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3637320

Do you care that China is occupying another country?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

this shit will continue as long as the world just lets china do whatever it wants.

they want to close off from us if we don't do everything to their desires? good, fuck them, we don't nee china.

should sanction china till it's nothing but a fucking ruin.

I've always enjoyed teasing my Chinese SOs about these matters. Most of them were so brainwashed and out of touch with reality it was funny, if somewhat disturbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap
    About as much as I care that the US is. Come to think of it, China's relationship with Tibet is probably more complicated than our history with Hawaii and I'd find the latter more egregious. Funny, nobody ever wants to talk about how we got Hawaii or what has been done to Hawaiian language and culture since then.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

She was elected by the students, they can suck it?

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    About as much as I care that the US is. Come to think of it, China's relationship with Tibet is probably more complicated than our history with Hawaii and I'd find the latter more egregious. Funny, nobody ever wants to talk about how we got Hawaii or what has been done to Hawaiian language and culture since then.

Not even close to the same thing
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    How about Irish Clans in New England, or the Italian Mob, Other cultures have made pockets and communities of a same or similar culture.

Mostly due to rabid hostility of immigrants or refugees by native born, who they themselves have sliced up their own pockets in the same way. But suddenly it's a problem NOW?

Shit talk about selective rage.

No I don't think it's ever a good idea, I don't think people should sell drugs, I don't think people should speed, I don't think people should...

The reason it's happening is more important than just the fact it maybe happening and only examining that would remedy the situations, if it seen as needing one. The problem here is nobody feels they need one for everybody.

Just those people over there, they are really the problem.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    this shit will continue as long as the world just lets china do whatever it wants.

they want to close off from us if we don't do everything to their desires? good, fuck them, we don't nee china.

is there anything the world can do ?

were all pretty closely tied to china's success, from economy to production to finance. certain country's are linchpin's to our globalised world, china is one of the big ones.

typo

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

While your enthusiasm is endearing, that would not end the way you think it would. 40 million starving impoverished people must eventually capitulate to reasonable demands. 1.4 billion starving people with a million man standing army will eventually take what they need.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2019-02-16 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber
    Not even close to the same thing
    OK, I'm willing to listen to an explanation, compare the two objectively.

How did Hawaii, formerly an independent kingdom that was internationally recognized, get annexed by the US? For my position, I'll adopt what the US government itself has said:

The Congress—

(1) on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the illegal overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii on January 17, 1893, acknowledges the historical significance of this event which resulted in the suppression of the inherent sovereignty of the Native Hawaiian people;

(2) recognizes and commends efforts of reconciliation initiated by the State of Hawaii and the United Church of Christ with Native Hawaiians;

(3) apologizes to Native Hawaiians on behalf of the people of the United States for the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii on January 17, 1893 with the participation of agents and citizens of the United States, and the deprivation of the rights of Native Hawaiians to self-determination;

(4) expresses its commitment to acknowledge the ramifications of the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii, in order to provide a proper foundation for reconciliation between the United States and the Native Hawaiian people; and

(5) urges the President of the United States to also acknowledge the ramifications of the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii and to support reconciliation efforts between the United States and the Native Hawaiian people.
    Source: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...107-Pg1510.pdf

Hawaii became a state August 21, 1959. China has designated March 28, 1959 Tibetan Serf Emancipation Day. Whether one gives any weight to China's historical interaction with Tibet prior to the founding of the PRC, what remains is that the US aided a wealthy elite in the overthrow of a sovereign kingdom and China emancipated a group of serfs that constituted somewhere around 90% of the Tibetan population.

That the Tibetan theocracy were not really nice people is, oddly enough, something that made an impression on me as a child because of grainy black and white films in 4th grade Geography classes in Canada. My interest in how Hawaii became a state stems from having been born just months after that happened. One could easily question my views since I'm an American expat living in China, but I wonder if American sources are fully objective given the history of CIA involvement with the Dalai Lama -- check German media a few years back for a wider discussion of that.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

And Chinese students raged when the Dalai Lama was the commencement speaker at UC San Diego. Too bad, so sad.

I look at Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, etc. and can hardly imagine how much better the world would be had China not succumbed to communism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    While your enthusiasm is endearing, that would not end the way you think it would. 40 million starving impoverished people must eventually capitulate to reasonable demands. 1.4 billion starving people with a million man standing army will eventually take what they need.
    And do what? Swim over to the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    so online trolls constitute "occupying" of another country now? this is low even by your exceptionally minor standards.

Even if they're not brainwashed by the state, chinese students have an unspoken obligation to uphold the official stance publicly - else they risk being put on the 'bad list' - that includes even being in the social circle of students with 'alternative opinions'.
    China monitors them, especially on social media. They risk not being able to return to Canada after their first visit home, or social score penalties on their family.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    OK, I'm willing to listen to an explanation, compare the two objectively.

How did Hawaii, formerly an independent kingdom that was internationally recognized, get annexed by the US? For my position, I'll adopt what the US government itself has said:

Source: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...107-Pg1510.pdf

Hawaii became a state August 21, 1959. China has designated March 28, 1959 Tibetan Serf Emancipation Day. Whether one gives any weight to China's historical interaction with Tibet prior to the founding of the PRC, what remains is that the US aided a wealthy elite in the overthrow of a sovereign kingdom and China emancipated a group of serfs that constituted somewhere around 90% of the Tibetan population.

That the Tibetan theocracy were not really nice people is, oddly enough, something that made an impression on me as a child because of grainy black and white films in 4th grade Geography classes in Canada. My interest in how Hawaii became a state stems from having been born just months after that happened. One could easily question my views since I'm an American expat living in China, but I wonder if American sources are fully objective given the history of CIA involvement with the Dalai Lama -- check German media a few years back for a wider discussion of that.

Hi chose to stay, Tibet didnt. Thats all that matters
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally wouldn't mind if the university started expelling Chinese students and sending them back to their dump of a country ruled by a dictator. They don't deserve to be here and considering how much the Chinese keep meddling in our economy and their own businesses support a terrorist regime like Iran, fuck them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind if the university started expelling Chinese students and sending them back to their dump of a country ruled by a dictator. They don't deserve to be here and considering how much the Chinese keep meddling in our economy and their own businesses support a terrorist regime like Iran, fuck them all.
    Ask yourself, what's the chinese social class that can afford studying overseas? Most of their parents are usually the big cash cows for the universities. They'll get a slap on the wrist.

https://nationalpost.com/news/uyghur...geting-her-son

Chinese are really racist when it comes to this sort of stuff. And they contact their government for orders on what to do.

A shame Canadian universities won't punish them as harsh as they would, just imagine if this where white college students and a black woman. There would be a lot of outrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm waiting for our resident China apologists to show up to spin this in China's favor.

Will they:

A) Say that the Tibetan controversy is a conspiracy theory
    B) Say that the world is being unfair to China, and provide Chinese sources as to outline why
    C) Say that Tibet should be thankful to China

or

D) Blame the US

Double your money on betting "all of the above!"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.