Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Speaking for myself (who is skeptic still)--it's Tannehill. Throwing for 70/80 yards a playoff game, and winning, shouldn't be sustainable. At some point, he's going to need to contribute more and win with his arm and I'm not convinced he can do it. I know what the QBR numbers (and other stats) say, but the eye test says otherwise. Historically (2000+), teams like the Titans just don't win a lot of Superbowls (2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2015 Broncos) as it requires a lot to go right without having a QB who can ball out if needed.

That said--teams like the Titans obviously have won, so I'm not sitting here saying "no chance". A lot needs to come together defensively and I'm just playing the percentages of what has happened historically. It's certainly fun to watch Derrick Henry terrorize everyone and watch them shock the world each week they keep going.
    Yeah, but who in the AFC is going to force them to throw it? The Chiefs might if they get off to a fast start, but the Chiefs also do not really have the defense to stop Henry, so the Titans might just run all over them too. The Texans are in the same division as the Titans, which would be interesting and the game would be in Houston. Texans beat them when it was legit, so there's reason to think the Texans might do it again, but then the Titans might have a little revenge in mind too.

I like their chances of making it to the Superbowl in this particular AFC field.

It's a nice change of pace from seeing the usual suspects win.
    We'll have to agree to disagree

I would have definitely preferred the Patriots to still be in it xD

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I think about this comment every time he comes up.
    So did Earl Thomas yesterday. That was pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I thought the same thing ... you are down by 22, you need 3 TDs ... if you go for 2, yeah, you are 2 TD and 2 Extra points away from a tied score ... but if you miss it, you are down 16 points which still needs 2 TDs but 2 2 pt conversations ... it didn't make sense.

But if they made it, it would be labelled as one of those genius plays ... no, just because a bad decision works out doesn't make it genius.
    If you know it's highly likely that you're going to need to make a 2 point conversion, it's always better to go for it early so you can adjust if you don't actually make it.

In this case, if you wait until the third touchdown to try and miss it, you're behind. But if you try on the first touchdown and miss, you can then go for it on each of the next two, and if you make both, you're good. Also, if you miss the first two, you then know earlier that you need 4 scores instead of 3.

The more interesting case is if you're down 14 and you score a TD. If you go for two in that situation, and conversion is a 50%, proposition, here's what it does (assuming you then score the second TD):

50% of the time, you make the first two point conversion, then make the second TD and win by 1.
    25% of the time, you miss the first and make the second, ending up tied.
    25% of the time, you miss both and lose by 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I was furiously rooting for the Titans after Earl Thomas said his defense wouldn't let Henry walk all over them like the Patriots did.

Glad ol' Earl got a taste of Derrick Henry in his full splendor. His defense gave up 2x the points the Patriots defense did.

Funny thing is that the Titans have now beaten 2 good teams and people are STILL writing them off. Wake up call people, Titans are just a good team suffering from an 2-4 start with another QB.

I hope they go all the way to the Superbowl now.
    I'm mystified by Derrick Henry. He looks totally unstoppable, but he's been in the league for 4 years and never been this good (except for 3-4 games at the end of last year). The question is, where is this coming from?
    Last edited by Scrod; 2020-01-12 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    It's not supposed to be fun, we are not in 2009. It's supposed to be frustrating and keep you hooked longer.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah, but who in the AFC is going to force them to throw it? The Chiefs might if they get off to a fast start, but the Chiefs also do not really have the defense to stop Henry, so the Titans might just run all over them too. The Texans are in the same division as the Titans, which would be interesting and the game would be in Houston. Texans beat them when it was legit, so there's reason to think the Texans might do it again, but then the Titans might have a little revenge in mind too.

I like their chances of making it to the Superbowl in this particular AFC field.

We'll have to agree to disagree

I would have definitely preferred the Patriots to still be in it xD
    Chiefs are about the only team I think. And I have my questions about if the Titans even WOULD throw it while behind with how Henry is playing. Honestly San Francisco is about the one team left that I'd say could shut down Henry.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Browns hiring Stefanski.

This is why bad organizations stay bad. They went into the offseason saying "we have a roster of extremely volatile stars, our last young first year coach failed, we need a veteran guy that can handle these stars and has the credibility to be listened to." Then they go out and just hire their #2 choice from last offseason, another young first year coach that has never had to deal with guys like OBJ.

Willing to bet McDaniels backed out on them and they didn't want to wait on Salah, so they went to their best available.

Probably the only good news here is this was apparently DePodesta's pick, not Haslam's.
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

Crazy that they seem complacent with failure. McDaniels wanted to tear it down, they didn't want that. Also didn't want to wait to hire Salah, who I believe to be the best remaining option for them. Looks like the 9ers defense will keep their guy unless theres a surprise firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Crazy that they seem complacent with failure. McDaniels wanted to tear it down, they didn't want that. Also didn't want to wait to hire Salah, who I believe to be the best remaining option for them. Looks like the 9ers defense will keep their guy unless theres a surprise firing.
    Roman, Salah, Bienimy, and McDaniels all stay home.

What a nutty hiring cycle that the top 4 guys all didn't get jobs.

Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

I wonder if you can look up "blown coverage" and it would be already updated with that Texans TD
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    -H.L. Mencken, 1920

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I wonder if you can look up "blown coverage" and it would be already updated with that Texans TD
    The AFC is absolutely on fire.

Honestly I'm starting to believe if we somehow beat the 49ers, even the Packers could win this Super Bowl.

Either Texans or Titans could make the SB, can you believe that?

Damn that is a quick 14 by the Texans...

Wow, what a terrible start for the Chiefs
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    -H.L. Mencken, 1920

Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post
    Either Texans or Titans could make the SB, can you believe that?

Damn that is a quick 14 by the Texans...
    The AFC Championship may very well be in Houston. Just let that sink in.

The Texans will host an AFC Championship while the Cowboys haven't been to an NFC Championship since the 90s.

I'm so aggravated that it seems like the Bills could have been in this position. What the literal fuck.

If the AFC championship is Houston vs. the Titans, I'm going against type and cheering for the NFC.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'm so aggravated that it seems like the Bills could have been in this position. What the literal fuck.

If the AFC championship is Houston vs. the Titans, I'm going against type and cheering for the NFC.
    How can you cheer against the possibility of a team going to their first ever Super Bowl? I would love to see the Texans make the Super Bowl. I am even Okay with the Titans. I would love to see Texans/Titans vs 49'ers in the Super Bowl.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Has the NFL flexed the AFC Championship to Thursday night yet?

- - - Updated - - -

How can you cheer against the possibility of a team going to their first ever Super Bowl? I would love to see the Texans make the Super Bowl. I am even Okay with the Titans. I would love to see Texans/Titans vs 49'ers in the Super Bowl.
    Honestly that's the one matchup I don't want to see. Because the 49ers will absolutely blow either of those teams out. I'd rather see Texans/Titans VS Packers/Seahawks. At least that game will be competative even if I'll still pick the NFC by a touchdown.

Because Bill O'Brien is a trash coach who's been skating by on the backs of generational talents in Watt, Clowney (before this year), and now Watson.

And the Titans beat us in '99 on a forward lateral pass which I will never forgive.

Herald of the Titans ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Jesus christ! I wake up to the Texans up by 21 in the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Chiefs are getting absolutely murdered.

Because Bill O'Brien is a trash coach who's been skating by on the backs of generational talents in Watt, Clowney (before this year), and now Watson.

And the Titans beat us in '99 on a forward lateral pass which I will never forgive.
    Maybe BOB has had his Riverboat Ron moment.

- - - Updated - - -

The Broncos have... fired their OC. The OC that some people thought might get head coaching buzz with how Drew Lock looked.

Herald of the Titans ProphetFlume's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    The AFC Championship may very well be in Houston. Just let that sink in.

The Texans will host an AFC Championship while the Cowboys haven't been to an NFC Championship since the 90s.
    I'm sure the Houston fans would love some nice revenge against the team that left them, at home even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Ehh that call was bad...

Still long game to go, Cheifs could make a fast attack and bring the game closer.