1. #1901
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,787
    Pretty bizarre game, coaches elected not to score points, Mariota elected not to attempt a comeback but still nearly killed one of his receivers during that low-effort drive.
    /s

  2. #1902
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Well, looks like the AFC is an easy set up for Pats vs. Chiefs in the AFC Championship again.
    Browns will be in the mix. Browns weakness is offensive line, but it is VERY common for OL play to drastically improve as the season wears on and they get more familiar with each other and the play calls. Somewhere around week 8-10, you might see that line suddenly click and the whole thing takes off.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    9 sacks is gross. How did this team blow out Cleveland by 30 in Cleveland?
    Doug Marrone is another Belichick. He is one of the elite head coaches in the NFL. The difference is that Marrone has never had a QB. That means Marrone might just get fired instead. That's kinda how it works. But if Marrone ever had a franchise QB, he'd win super bowls. Marrone already pushed a garbage Jaguars team to the AFC title game once though.

  3. #1903
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

    Doug Marrone is another Belichick. He is one of the elite head coaches in the NFL. The difference is that Marrone has never had a QB. That means Marrone might just get fired instead. That's kinda how it works. But if Marrone ever had a franchise QB, he'd win super bowls. Marrone already pushed a garbage Jaguars team to the AFC title game once though.
    Bro, as someone who's lived through being a fan of a Doug Marrone-coached team, he's not an "elite head coach." His insistence on continuing to rely on the run marks him as a dinosaur. He likes running against 8 man boxes. He's trash.

    He's certainly not Bellicheck. Defenses flare, on occasion. The 2000 Giants, the Ravens around that time, the Broncos from a few years back - they have one good year which ends up being an outlier in terms of what their defense can realistically do, and that's their one year to do their thing. For the Jags, "their thing" ended in the AFC Championship.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Edit: Hell, he should have been fired for how he coached that AFC Championship game. Up in the second half, he just turtles and then does nothing and the Pats come back and win it. Alllllllllllll his decisions in the 2nd half there were garbage. Bortles had somehow hit a hot streak against Pittsburgh the week before and had continued it in NE, it was time to ride the dragon.

  4. #1904
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Bro, as someone who's lived through being a fan of a Doug Marrone-coached team, he's not an "elite head coach." His insistence on continuing to rely on the run marks him as a dinosaur. He likes running against 8 man boxes. He's trash.

    He's certainly not Bellicheck. Defenses flare, on occasion. The 2000 Giants, the Ravens around that time, the Broncos from a few years back - they have one good year which ends up being an outlier in terms of what their defense can realistically do, and that's their one year to do their thing. For the Jags, "their thing" ended in the AFC Championship.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Edit: Hell, he should have been fired for how he coached that AFC Championship game. Up in the second half, he just turtles and then does nothing and the Pats come back and win it. Alllllllllllll his decisions in the 2nd half there were garbage. Bortles had somehow hit a hot streak against Pittsburgh the week before and had continued it in NE, it was time to ride the dragon.
    I lived in Cleveland in the early 1990s when Belichick coached there. He didn't have a QB when he started, so he ran like a madman too. That's what you do. If you don't have a QB, you are forced to run the football. That's smart. You can will the running game to work if you stay committed. It might take 4-6 games, but if you just keep pounding relentlessly, the running game will open up and you will start smashing teams in the face every week. I also remember Butch Davis doing the same thing in 2002. He kept pounding the ball in pass situations with William Green. The media said he was an idiot and called him a dinosaur just like you did to Marrone. Then in the second half of the season, the run game opened up and Green started finding huge holes as the OL gelled and started blocking a lot better. Then everyone shut up. (The Browns suffered catastrophic injuries every season after 2002 until Butch Davis had a nervous breakdown which is another story).

    Hell I remember when Marty Schottenheimer took over the Browns in 1985. He had no QB, so he pounded the ball so much both Kevin Mack and Ernest Byner rushed for 1000 yards. Again, its smart. Its not antiquated.

    Marrone has no QB. He MUST run the ball all day. He doesn't care if its 3 yards per carry. He must run it nonstop and the blocking will improve greatly. He is VERY smart. You, on the other hand, sound like someone that doesn't know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-09-20 at 06:06 AM.

  5. #1905
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Hell I remember when Marty Schottenheimer took over the Browns in 1985. He had no QB, so he pounded the ball so much both Kevin Mack and Ernest Byner rushed for 1000 yards. Again, its smart. Its not antiquated.
    Good grief, its hard to be more antiquated than Martyball.
    /s

  6. #1906
    Both Marty and the Bellicheck you're talking about coached more than 20 years ago. Doug Marrone coaches NOW. In a league where his 6th round, not-tall-enough, not-strong-arm-enough rookie QB managed to win a game for him and looks like he might be set up for success.

    I believe I read something about Fournette (and maybe Henry too, for the Titans) being among the backs with the highest percentage of runs against an 8+ man box. He has no scheme to play action or spread out of an 8 man box, he just hands it off and runs straight at it.

    He's straight trash. And the reason he won last night is because Mike Vrabel is straight trasher. It was obvious in the last 5 minutes of the game when a mediocre Mariota passing the ball was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more efficient than anything else they had done the rest of the night. And that's the lesson: even mediocre QB play is better than running against a team that knows you're going to run.

  7. #1907
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Browns will be in the mix. Browns weakness is offensive line, but it is VERY common for OL play to drastically improve as the season wears on and they get more familiar with each other and the play calls. Somewhere around week 8-10, you might see that line suddenly click and the whole thing takes off.
    I highly doubt the Browns will be in the mix as their penchant for self imploding like they did in Tennessee won't be solved anytime this season. Not to mention their next five games are freaking brutal. Rams, Ravens, Niners, Hawks and Pats. Yikes. Best case they go 1-4 in that stretch and may very well be 3-7 by week 10 (Note: Im actually worried for Baker next week as I can only imagine what Donald is going to do to that Browns O-line).

  8. #1908
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    34,066
    Cam Newton officially out this week. So begins another season of "will he or won't he play this week."

    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...17439732002817
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

    Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

    Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  9. #1909
    Nobody, but NOBODY is touching the Chiefs this year.

    That is all.

  10. #1910
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Untraceable
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryonas View Post
    Nobody, but NOBODY is touching the Chiefs this year.

    That is all.
    They will Choke as usual just like they always do

    They are getting some injuries too which could be concerning
    "We Choose Truth over Facts" - Joe Biden
    "You're too old to vote for me" - Joe Biden

  11. #1911
    And Antonio Brown was released by the Patriots.. boy the fun never ends

  12. #1912
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,787
    So that's another $10 mil flushed down the toilet.
    /s

  13. #1913
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    34,066
    AB is done. If he blew up the Raiders locker room, and the Patriots couldn't handle him, there's no team left desperate enough to sign him.
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

    Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

    Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  14. #1914
    Newton being out makes it team #8 (unless I can't count) using a backup QB now, and it is only week 3. That is rough.

    I'm waiting for Brown to sign with the Chiefs next. Andy Reid has a thing for trying to help people, and he would get along well with their special WR.

  15. #1915
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylecat15 View Post
    And Antonio Brown was released by the Patriots.. boy the fun never ends
    I usually give people the benefit of the doubt but...

    This couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

  16. #1916
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    25,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    AB is done. If he blew up the Raiders locker room, and the Patriots couldn't handle him, there's no team left desperate enough to sign him.
    Patriots handled him fine for as long as the many sexual harrassment skeletons were still in his closet. When those skeletons started coming out and he became more distraction than addition, the Patriots cut bait.


    I didn't like the AB signing even before the many skeletons, let alone after it. So good riddance I say. We didn't need him, he just made things even more ridiculous on offense. We'll no doubt do fine the rest of the season too, and even if we don't, I'd rather struggle without AB than succeed with him.

  17. #1917
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,787
    Hahahahaha.... the NFL has temporarily banned all on-field pyrotechnics.
    /s

  18. #1918
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    25,583
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Hahahahaha.... the NFL has temporarily banned all on-field pyrotechnics.
    Huh? why? Was there anything that happened that I missed?

  19. #1919
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    31,185
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Huh? why? Was there anything that happened that I missed?


    This field is on fiiiiiire.

  20. #1920
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,528
    Those contraptions are no joke. You can feel the heat sitting about 120 feet away when its 45 degrees out when they're going off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •