10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Getting that close to making a 64 yard FG on a baseball field is pretty impressive.
    If this was in Denver he could have kicked a record with that attempt.

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping Conley is okay, that looked a nasty freak accident.

- - - Updated - - -

Great opening win, really hoping the Conley injury isn't serious.

This team will continue to upset a few experts this year.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

lol Broncos

If I didn't know better I would have thought this was a game from the last 2 years, didn't look any different.

Actually, Garett Bolles didn't false start or tackle anyone in the backfield so at least something improved.

lol Broncos

If I didn't know better I would have thought this was a game from the last 2 years, didn't look any different.

Actually, Garett Bolles didn't false start or tackle anyone in the backfield so at least something improved.
    I don't know how to tell you this, but John Elway has to go. I know it's hard, if Jim Kelly was our GM even I'd be hesitant to fire him, even if he did totally screw up the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The rules are the rules, and the review was initiated at :26 - from where they need to initiate the runoff. As far as I can tell. I wasn't paying too much attention, but it's weird they did a runoff, when the clock was already running from the previous play. I would imagine the rule is for when he was ruled out of bounds/incomplete and the clock was stopped.

Either way, I find it hilarious that Saints fans boo anything the refs do, without any knowledge of the actual rule. And a good chunk of them are dressed as refs tonight for some reason, I guess they can't get over one bad call and then saddling the whole NFL with the worst replay rule of all time.
    So do you come back and eat some crow on this post when they even showed the mistakes the ref made with the timing of the clock? I'm sorry but Saints fans (including me) have a right to be pissed off at the refs for those 2 blown calls in the championship game. You do realize the rules for a replay right? When a replay happens they review the entire play and ALSO put the proper time back on the clock and THEN do the run off. They failed to put the proper time back before doing the run off. Guess what happened? It cost the Saints time at the end of the half and made the FG attempt that much harder.

Here are a few other things, the clock was stopped at 26 because the Saints were running the next play (QB Sneak) as the whistles were getting blown so they missed the proper timing as I said, on top of that a runoff happens because any time a review happens with a current running clock (player tackled in bounds thus a running clock) they are simulating time being run for the offense to get back to the line of scrimmage for the next play. The rule is really in place to stop a review from benefiting the offense on a long play where the offense has to rush up to the line and snap the ball.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol Broncos

I don't understand what happened to your pass rush. Von Miller looked toothless, and Chubb was none better either.

I use to fear Carr being eaten by that defence, last night he could pick on a couple of players, mostly Yiadom, and threw it about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Former Raiders and Gators LB Neiron Ball passed away after years of health complications. He was 27 years old.

Absolutely gutted after the joy that was last night's game, I knew he'd never play football again but I hoped for a better ending to his story than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    So do you come back and eat some crow on this post when they even showed the mistakes the ref made with the timing of the clock? I'm sorry but Saints fans (including me) have a right to be pissed off at the refs for those 2 blown calls in the championship game. You do realize the rules for a replay right? When a replay happens they review the entire play and ALSO put the proper time back on the clock and THEN do the run off. They failed to put the proper time back before doing the run off. Guess what happened? It cost the Saints time at the end of the half and made the FG attempt that much harder.

Here are a few other things, the clock was stopped at 26 because the Saints were running the next play (QB Sneak) as the whistles were getting blown so they missed the proper timing as I said, on top of that a runoff happens because any time a review happens with a current running clock (player tackled in bounds thus a running clock) they are simulating time being run for the offense to get back to the line of scrimmage for the next play. The rule is really in place to stop a review from benefiting the offense on a long play where the offense has to rush up to the line and snap the ball.
    I admitted as much in the original post it didn't make much sense to me why they ran off the clock. I know they went on-air to correct it later, but here's my issue: They were going to run the play at :26........if they reviewed, overturned, and ran the 10s off from the previous clock of like, :42, they essentially give 6s back to the Saints, who will have gotten their correct personnel in, called a play, and be ready to snap immediately. Which is what the commentary booth suggested should have been the correction?

Either way, it would be dumb. As I understand it from the clarification they did later, they should have just set it back to :26.

And yes, you should be over blown calls in the NFC Championship game by now. But moreover, your coach shouldn't have pushed one of the shittiest replay rules on the whole league because of a hissy fit. The new rule is so subjective it's now at the point that even when there IS no flag, you have to worry some coach is going to challenge that there SHOULD be a flag. And if you can judge that there SHOULD be a flag for PI, why not other penalties?

Example: Yesterday, the Jets were inside the Bills 5. They called a run play. It was clearly a run play. One of our defenders blew up the backfield pretty instantly, so Darnold didn't hand it off. Instead, he scrambled and threw a short pass for a TD. Problem was, every single lineman was down the field, run blocking, but no "ineligible man downfield" call was flagged. Bills were rightly pissed, but they couldn't challenge the no-call of ineligible man downfield. So then, because it's a scoring play, the play is reviewed anyways. And the whole line being downfield couldn't be flagged on the replay even though it was clear as day, but luckily, they *could* call OPI on the TE setting the edge more than 1 yard downfield.......yes, that's right, the TE was called for offensive pass interference......for run blocking a guy further than 1 yard past the LOS. If he hadn't.....well, that TD would have counted.

It's a fucking dumb rule, and shouldn't be in the game, and is solely in the game because of the whining of New Orleans. And that's a call that benefited the Bills.

I don't know how to tell you this, but John Elway has to go. I know it's hard, if Jim Kelly was our GM even I'd be hesitant to fire him, even if he did totally screw up the franchise.
    I don't think it is Elway himself that is the problem, it is the people he has around him. When you fail as many early round picks and FA signings as they have, that is on the personnel guys, and the head of that is his drinking buddy. Hard to get him to make needed changes when you have no owner. Also doesn't help changing coaches every 2 years, they don't get a chance to have players that fit their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I don't understand what happened to your pass rush. Von Miller looked toothless, and Chubb was none better either.

I use to fear Carr being eaten by that defence, last night he could pick on a couple of players, mostly Yiadom, and threw it about.
    At least one of them was in coverage most pass plays, and when they did rush Carr got rid of the ball really quick and someone was open every play because of how bad Simmons and Yiadom were playing. The Raiders chipped them a lot too, makes it impossible to get there in the amount of time they had. Especially when the d-line (mainly Wolfe) were getting pushed around pretty bad.

I admitted as much in the original post it didn't make much sense to me why they ran off the clock. I know they went on-air to correct it later, but here's my issue: They were going to run the play at :26........if they reviewed, overturned, and ran the 10s off from the previous clock of like, :42, they essentially give 6s back to the Saints, who will have gotten their correct personnel in, called a play, and be ready to snap immediately. Which is what the commentary booth suggested should have been the correction?

Either way, it would be dumb. As I understand it from the clarification they did later, they should have just set it back to :26.

And yes, you should be over blown calls in the NFC Championship game by now. But moreover, your coach shouldn't have pushed one of the shittiest replay rules on the whole league because of a hissy fit. The new rule is so subjective it's now at the point that even when there IS no flag, you have to worry some coach is going to challenge that there SHOULD be a flag. And if you can judge that there SHOULD be a flag for PI, why not other penalties?

Example: Yesterday, the Jets were inside the Bills 5. They called a run play. It was clearly a run play. One of our defenders blew up the backfield pretty instantly, so Darnold didn't hand it off. Instead, he scrambled and threw a short pass for a TD. Problem was, every single lineman was down the field, run blocking, but no "ineligible man downfield" call was flagged. Bills were rightly pissed, but they couldn't challenge the no-call of ineligible man downfield. So then, because it's a scoring play, the play is reviewed anyways. And the whole line being downfield couldn't be flagged on the replay even though it was clear as day, but luckily, they *could* call OPI on the TE setting the edge more than 1 yard downfield.......yes, that's right, the TE was called for offensive pass interference......for run blocking a guy further than 1 yard past the LOS. If he hadn't.....well, that TD would have counted.

It's a fucking dumb rule, and shouldn't be in the game, and is solely in the game because of the whining of New Orleans. And that's a call that benefited the Bills.
    I'm totally fine with the rule being in, it will correct obvious missed 'judgement' calls from old and slow referees. Sorry, the CFL has had this rule in for like 5 years and it works just fine, I think the NFL can handle it.

If it was your team that had such a blown call against it last year I wonder if you'd be over it, maybe, maybe not. That call cost my team a Super Bowl appearance so I'm a bit jaded about it. I could go on a rant about how things could be improved to help refs, like why do we still need a chain gang and a metal chain to determine 10 yards in this day and age.

If it was the Bills, our fanbase would be asking why we needed last second points against a team that went on to put up 3 points in the Super Bowl against a middling New England defense. There's no one play in a game which is responsible for a win or loss.

Although we're still pretty salty 20 years later about the No-Goal that lost us the Stanley Cup in overtime of Game 6, and the Immaculate Deception the same year (known to most as "the Music City Miracle"), though even now most of us can see that the forward pass/lateral by Wycheck was really too close to conclusively overturn if such a thing was reviewable back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was the Bills, our fanbase would be asking why we needed last second points against a team that went on to put up 3 points in the Super Bowl against a middling New England defense. There's no one play in a game which is responsible for a win or loss.

Although we're still pretty salty 20 years later about the No-Goal that lost us the Stanley Cup in overtime of Game 6, and the Immaculate Deception the same year (known to most as "the Music City Miracle"), though even now most of us can see that the forward pass/lateral by Wycheck was really too close to conclusively overturn if such a thing was reviewable back then.
    When major mistakes or controversies happen I want to see the leagues take steps to prevent them happening again, the NHL worked on its terrible crease rule, the NFL added replay, etc.. Its better than waiting eleven years to repeal the "tuck rule".

I know I'm over it with the bad PI non-call, wish they didn't fucking mention it 500 times before the game though, but terrible coverage is the norm with ESPN.

Also, I compiled a list of my favorite quotes from Booger last night

Yes.

Yes. Yes.

Yes.Yes.Yes.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    When major mistakes or controversies happen I want to see the leagues take steps to prevent them happening again, the NHL worked on its terrible crease rule, the NFL added replay, etc.. Its better than waiting eleven years to repeal the "tuck rule".

I know I'm over it with the bad PI non-call, wish they didn't fucking mention it 500 times before the game though, but terrible coverage is the norm with ESPN.

Also, I compiled a list of my favorite quotes from Booger last night
    There is a silver lining at least. At least it wasn't +Witten and the +BoogerMobile. I still think the two in the booth are pretty awful but at least they didn't make the viewing experience even worse by having Witten around.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah sure, I mean it isn't easy playing against 11 defenders and a referee who lets players run up and destroy a player as the ball is coming in. I know I'd have loved to see an entertaining super bowl of New England vs New Orleans instead we got that shit fest with the Rams team who shouldn't have been there and then played like it.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pats trading Demarius Thomas to the Jets. Yup, in division.

They're really confident in this AB thing I guess.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/sta...20584871636995
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Demaryius Thomas was traded to the Jets. I wanted to see him do well, so that sucks.

Tim Patrick has a broken hand as a result of one of the times he slipped and fell, and they think Ju'Wuan James has a serious knee injury. Going to be interesting when Leary inevitably misses games, the person who would replace James was the backup at 4 positions.
    Last edited by Grube; 2019-09-10 at 08:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Pats trading Demarius Thomas to the Jets. Yup, in division.
    Bill Belichick is one of the most prolific traders in the NFL and he had NEVER traded with the Jets in all his time in New England. That's pretty amazing.

Demaryius Thomas was traded to the Jets. I wanted to see him do well, so that sucks.
    I think DT might do pretty well with the Jets actually. They don't really have anyone that can play outside, and the Jets offense was awful last week mostly because Darnold and the playcalling kept going for plays near the line of scrimmage. With DT there, he probably gives them the opportunity to go outside the numbers a bit more and he'll soak up all those balls, or near enough. He could be really productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Yeah sure, I mean it isn't easy playing against 11 defenders and a referee who lets players run up and destroy a player as the ball is coming in. I know I'd have loved to see an entertaining super bowl of New England vs New Orleans instead we got that shit fest with the Rams team who shouldn't have been there and then played like it.
    Ok--I'll bite. What makes you think the Saints would have put on a better show than the Rams? After all, they couldn't beat them.

Stop the whiny bullshit about the refs costing them the game. So many (not everyone) insufferable fans of NO--and I'm a Philly fan.

Did the calls hurt them? Absolutely.
    Did the Saints have plenty of opportunity to win the game despite that? Absolutely. Maybe don't throw an interception in OT. Maybe don't blow a 13-0 lead. Maybe don't blow 2 easy 3rd down conversions in a row.

They barely got by the Eagles (starting their 9th string DBs) and choked horribly against the Rams. So again--What makes you think they would have put on a better show against the Patriots?

AB accused of three separate incidents of sexual assault/rape, from the NYTimes:

https://twitter.com/benshpigel/statu...81904669368325

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If that's legit that may help explain why the Raiders were so willing to just cut him days before the season.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    If hard knocks couldn't get anything good with antonio brown on the team what is even the point of the show?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Ok--I'll bite. What makes you think the Saints would have put on a better show than the Rams? After all, they couldn't beat them.

Stop the whiny bullshit about the refs costing them the game. So many (not everyone) insufferable fans of NO--and I'm a Philly fan.

Did the Saints have plenty of opportunity to win the game despite that? Absolutely. Maybe don't throw an interception in OT. Maybe don't blow a 13-0 lead. Maybe don't blow 2 easy 3rd down conversions in a row.

They barely got by the Eagles (starting their 9th string DBs) and choked horribly against the Rams. So again--What makes you think they would have put on a better show against the Patriots?
    Yeah the Saints would NEVER have such a poor showing. Especially in a prime time game!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401030899
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post

I mean I don't think it would have been hard to put on a better show than the Rams. The Saints have been there before at least at the key positions QB/Coach and Payton wouldn't have been as intimidated with his play calling like McVay was in the super bowl imo. That was one of the worst super bowls since the blowouts of the late 80s/early 90s.

As far as the 'whiny bullshit', get over it. I don't get what being a Philly fan does for you, is that like a badge of honor or something?

Did the call hurt them? Well the game would likely have been over if the call was made.
    Did the Saints have plenty of opportunities to win despite that? Sure, don't forget there was also the missed PI on the overtime interception if you remember. Brees got hit as he threw the ball but the ball was not touched by a Rams player but that didn't stop a defender from hitting the receiver on the play and then making the interception. Go and watch both of them and tell me if you were a fan of the team that got hosed by those two calls if you'd not be a bit angry at the Refs and ticked off your team got robbed, twice. It is one thing to beat a good team, it is another thing entirely to beat a good team and a team of bad refs.

Are you serious? As I said damn near any team could have put on a better show than that snooze fest. At least there is some karma in that the Rams were woefully outmatched in the Super Bowl they shouldn't have even been in and got to lose it. I'll take some solace in that.