Page 1 of 194
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2019-2020 NFL Thread

Welcome everyone to the 2019-2020 NFL & XFL Thread

Where we discuss the 2019-2020 NFL season from the pre-Combine days in February, all the way to the Superbowl of this season on Sunday February 2, 2020 in Miami Gardens, Florida, with all the news and all the games that go on in between as well as any news and information about the XFL, the new professional football league.

Thread Rules:

There aren't many specific rules in this thread other than the normal forum rules that apply everywhere. We expect people to follow the spirit of the thread and the forum, mostly by respecting that every one has a favorite team and is entitled to cheer for them. Some banter is fine, insulting and trolling is not.

We also ask to keep the discussion largely centered around the current season and to leave in depth discussions about which team or player from yesteryear was better than which other team/player to threads made to discuss such a topic.

Let's start off with some things from last year's thread:

Links to previous seasons threads:

2010-2013 thread: link
    2013-2014 thread: link
    2014-2015 thread: link
    2015-2016 thread: link
    2016-2017 thread: link
    2017-2018 thread: link
    2018-2019 thread: link

Some of the numbers of the NFL thread over the years:

Total pages:

2014: 428
    2015: 662
    2016: 506
    2017: 442*
    2018: 314

Total posts:

2014: 8,547
    2015: 13,238
    2016: 10,119
    2017: 8,829*
    2018: 6,270

Posts per day:

2014: 23.54
    2015: 36.56
    2016: 27.72
    2017: 25.33*
    2018: 17.27

*=truncated year

Top 10 posters of the last thread:

Interesting facts of the 2019-2020 season:

This season will be the 100th season of the National Football League.

This season will be the Buffalo Bills 60th season as a professional football team and it's 50th in the NFL.

This season will be the Miami Dolphins 50th season in the NFL.

This season will be the New England Patriots 60th season as a professional football team and it's 50th in the NFL.

This season will be the New York Jets 60th season as a professional football team and it's 50th in the NFL.

This season will be the Cincinatti Bengals 50th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Jacksonville Jaguars 25th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Tennessee Titans 50th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Denver Broncos 60th season as a professional football team and it's 50th in the NFL.

This season will be the Kansas City Chiefs 60th season as a professional football team and it's 50th in the NFL.

This season will be the L.A. Chargers 60th season as a professional football team and it's 50th in the NFL.

This season will be the Oakland Raiders 60th season as a professional football team and it's 50th in the NFL.

This season will be the Dallas Cowboys 60th season in the NFL.

This season will be the New York Giants 95th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Chicago Bears 100th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Detroit Lions 90th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Green Bay Packers 100th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Carolina Panthers 25th season in the NFL.

This season will be the Arizona Cardinals 100th season in the NFL.

This season will be the San Francisco 49'ers 70th season in the NFL.

This season will be Pittsburgh Steelers 20th season under GM Kevin Colbert.

This season will be New England Patriots 20th season under HC Bill Belichick.

There should be no Christmas or New Year's interference with the schedule.

NFL London Games:

Four games will be played in London:

Houston Texans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Cincinnati Bengals vs. Los Angeles Rams
    Carolina Panthers vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Chicago Bears vs. Oakland Raiders.

NFL Mexico Game:

The NFL will play one game at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City in 2019:

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Los Angeles Chargers.

Superbowl odds for this season:

So, what can we expect in this coming year?

February 19, 2019 - First day for teams to designate Franchise or Transition Tag

February 26 - March 4, 2019 - 2019 NFL Scouting Combine

March 5, 2019 - Franchise/Transition Tag Deadline
    March 11, 2019 - “Legal Tampering” period begins

March 13, 2019, 4PM ET - New league year begins. Free agency opens.

March 24-27, 2019 - Annual League Meeting

April 1, 2019 - Teams with a new head coach may begin offseason programs.
    April 15, 2019 - Teams with returning head coaches may begin offseason programs.

Mid April - New 2019-2020 NFL schedule release.

April 19, 2019 - Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets

April 25-27, 2019 - The NFL Draft takes place in Nashville, Tennessee

April 29, 2019 - Phase Two of offseason programs begins

Phase Two of the offseason program consists of three weeks of on-field individual drills and team practice, but must be conducted on a “separates” basis (meaning no offense vs. defense) with no live contact permitted.

May 3, 2019 - Deadline for teams to designate their 5th-year option on 2016 first-round picks.

May 3-6, 2019 - Teams may elect to hold their 3-day rookie minicamp either Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday.
    May 10-13, 2019 - The other option for teams to elect to hold their 3-day rookie minicamp, again either Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday. Only one 3-day rookie minicamp may be held.
    May 13, 2019 - Rookie Football Development Program begins.
    May 16-19, 2019 - NFLPA Rookie Premiere.

May 20, 2019 - Phase Three of offseason program begins.

Phase Three of the NFL’s offseason program is the final phase, four weeks in length, during which teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity (“OTAs”). Although live contact is prohibited, 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.

Mid-late June - Teams break for “offseason” ahead of training camp.
    Mid-July - Training Camp opens.

August 1, 2019 - Hall of Fame Game.

The official start of the 2019 NFL Preseason kicks off with the Hall of Fame game on August 1st.

August 31, 2019, 4PM ET - Teams must reduce their rosters to 53 players.
    September 1, 2019, 12PM ET - Waiver claims process.
    September 5, 2019 - Regular season Week 1 kicks off with Thursday Night Football.

Lastly:

We hope everyone that likes football will join us as we go on the journey to learn who will eventually follow last year's winners the New England Patriots as the 2019-2020 NFL Superbowl LIV winners.

Have at it, ladies and gentlemen!

signed, the mods.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2019-06-25 at 03:05 PM.

Big year in terms of milestones. 100 of the league, 50 since the NFL/AFL merger. Hopefully the end of Tom Brady.

10+ Year Old Account
    and thus we begin the new thread with a "fuck Tom Brady" post. rofl.

I'm hopeful that Moore will be able to breathe new life into the Dallas O.

At this point, I think it's "Tom Brady's fucked me, and I want it to be over."

10+ Year Old Account
    New thread hype!

Speculation that the opening game will be Packers v Bears. But who knows for it being the 100th season and doing something special.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    and thus we begin the new thread with a "fuck Tom Brady" post. rofl.

I'm hopeful that Moore will be able to breathe new life into the Dallas O.
    I mean, how else should it be done? Indeed fuck Tom Brady.

10+ Year Old Account
    That San Diego Fleet RB Gardner is going to be in some team's NFL training camp this year I bet. He looked great this game.

As to Tom Brady, he said he wanted 1 more Super Bowl win, he's got that now, so that's at least 1 major motivation gone for him. We are going to have to assume that his other main motivation is to beat Peyton, Favre and maybe Brees in a few statistical categories that are not in his name yet. So that kind of may depend on when Brees retires (who seems to have no interest in stopping either).

He can pass Peyton in career completions, career yards and TD's this season (needs 122 completions, 23 TD's and 1427 yards to beat Peyton) and Favre in completions if he has a good full year, but he has Brees ahead of him in yards and TD's categories, so he would probably need to play 1 more season after Brees retires to pass Brees and become the all time leader. I doubt that happens for completions though, cause Brees is like 2 seasons of completions ahead of Brady. Truly staggering number for Brees (who's already career leader in this category).

Going to be fun watching the continued friendly rivalry between Brees and Brady the coming years in this regard. I think they will both say they don't really care about the records, but I'm also fairly sure they both want to end up on top in the end.

I mean, neither of these guys really NEED these records and neither of these guys will stay ahead in these categories with the way the league works now and how guys like Mahomes are throwing it, but I think it's just something they want to feel they accomplished when they retire finally. I don't think it's a coincedence that Peyton stayed one more year and beat Favre in several categories before calling it a career. Same goes for Brees and Brady.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Speculation that the opening game will be Packers v Bears. But who knows for it being the 100th season and doing something special.
    That would actually be kind of cool, to have a meaningful rivalry game between 2 of the 3 teams who have been around since the start. I was kind of bummed that the Patriots wouldn't open the season (by rumour), but in this context I'd actually approve. That's a cool way to start off the festivities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I rather have Peyton and Brees keep their records. Pats shouldnt have everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I think I rather have Peyton and Brees keep their records. Pats shouldnt have everything.
    Well yes, it would be nice if a guy like Brees, who has gotten criminally little recognition for his career in terms of awards would end up the winner in this stuff, but Brady is just hyper competitive, in basically everything. That doesn't just stop with winning football games, that goes into everything, including this. He wants to win this too.

Just look at the silly 1000 yard rushing for a career thing. Patriots and Brady are not about stats, but 1) he knew about this milestone 2) openly mentioned it despite not being about stats officially 3) knew EXACTLY when he had broken it 4) then went out of his way at the end of the game to make sure he kept it and even went so far as to point it out at the officials that he had stepped forward with his kneeldown.

The guy just has absolutely zero chill when it comes to things he wants to accomplish, so if he's set out to accomplish being the career leader in yards and TD's, you can bet your ass he's going to do everything he can to actually do that.

If I'm honest, I kind of worry about Brady in retirement. What he will do when he no longer has the easy stimulus of preparing for and wining football games. How he's going to feed that internal fire. I hope he finds something to do and sink his maniacal energy into, cause that kind of thing could seriously fuck a person up if it's not channeled into something healthy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, by the way, reason I started the thread now, was that the new Franchise tags can start going out on Tuesday, so I expect the news cycle about them to probably start on Monday with previews and early rumours.

I wanted to catch that in the season thread, since it's basically the first relevant thing to the new season (and since there's nothing to discuss about the old season anyway).

10+ Year Old Account
    Grazed over the old threads and saw myself, void of seething hot taeks.

We'll get reviews of pass interference, but refs will still suck and nothing will change. Kickoffs get nerfed more.

Antonio Brown won't get dealt, and will hold out.

Earl Thomas doesn't play for Dallas. 9ers will sign him.

Seahawks draft a kicker in the 2nd round, after trading out of the 1st.

The Rams will suck this year.

Chiefs will remain hot, Titans 2nd seed. AFC East still a steaming pile of garbage, Steelers make the playoffs at 7-9 this year. Chargers regress, still a WC team.

Seahawks win the west, but don't get a bye over the Saints and Eagles. 9ers make WC

Cam Newton doesn't play this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how the Chiefs have better odds to win right now than the Rams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Grazed over the old threads and saw myself, void of seething hot taeks.

We'll get reviews of pass interference, but refs will still suck and nothing will change. Kickoffs get nerfed more.

Antonio Brown won't get dealt, and will hold out.

Earl Thomas doesn't play for Dallas. 9ers will sign him.

Seahawks draft a kicker in the 2nd round, after trading out of the 1st.

The Rams will suck this year.

Chiefs will remain hot, Titans 2nd seed. AFC East still a steaming pile of garbage, Steelers make the playoffs at 7-9 this year. Chargers regress, still a WC team.

Seahawks win the west, but don't get a bye over the Saints and Eagles. 9ers make WC

Cam Newton doesn't play this year.
    Lot to unpack here.

I think part of it is just you saying the worst things that could possibly happen for the Seahawks, probably in hopes that they won't happen then. (Like ET to the Niners)

Rams will be an interesting datapoint in the "Super Bowl hang over" category. They have lots of turnover expected so it might not be fair to blame everything on the Super Bowl.

Cam Newton not playing is based on what? I've not heard anything to suggest he's not making a full recovery. Would be the biggest surprise on this list for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Lot to unpack here.

I think part of it is just you saying the worst things that could possibly happen for the Seahawks, probably in hopes that they won't happen then. (Like ET to the Niners)

Rams will be an interesting datapoint in the "Super Bowl hang over" category. They have lots of turnover expected so it might not be fair to blame everything on the Super Bowl.

Cam Newton not playing is based on what? I've not heard anything to suggest he's not making a full recovery. Would be the biggest surprise on this list for me.
    ET to the niners is much more likely than to Dallas, where they have to pay Dak. 9ers already (((overpaid))) their QB and have more cap room than Dallas. Seahawks are a kicker away from making the playoffs in 2017, and winning a playoff game in 2018. They need one, don't really care if they reach. However, I could see them using another stopgap and going after Matt Bryant.

Rams scored 3 points behind the NFL offensive revolutionary offensive genius of McVay in the super bowl. That'll have serious ramifications.

Andrew Luck 2.0.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    ET to the niners is much more likely than to Dallas, where they have to pay Dak. 9ers already (((overpaid))) their QB and have more cap room than Dallas.
    True, and I guess Dallas must have been pretty happy with their defense anyway AND they have to pay or replace Demarcus Lawrence.

Seahawks are a kicker away from making the playoffs in 2017, and winning a playoff game in 2018. They need one, don't really care if they reach. However, I could see them using another stopgap and going after Matt Bryant.
    Fair enough, I can see both things happening, but the second round is such a meme.

Rams scored 3 points behind the NFL offensive revolutionary offensive genius of McVay in the super bowl. That'll have serious ramifications.
    RAM-ifications.

Andrew Luck 2.0.
    Yeah, not seeing it. Luck was a really uncommon occurance.

I should do a hot taek post too, I'll need to think of some first though.

Hot take: Josh Allen is the next Brady, Brady's game falls off a cliff, incoming 20 years of Bills dominating the AFC East.

I mean, that's how you do the hot takes, right?

Speaking of Josh Allen, I hope the Bills and Broncos draft Josh Allen and Connor McGovern. Too many people already confuse the 2 Brandon Marshalls, it would be even better for them to be on the same team. Bonus points for McGovern also being a guard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Hot take: Josh Allen is the next Brady, Brady's game falls off a cliff, incoming 20 years of Bills dominating the AFC East.

I mean, that's how you do the hot takes, right?
    Bonafide E!SPN material, well done.

Mine:

Browns will win the North and compete for a Play Off bye.

Washington will stay healthy for a change and win the NFC East.

Packers will have a slow start to the season, but get hot down the stretch, with Rodgers winning MVP in a tight race with Brees.

Chiefs will still flounder on defense, but also still have the offensive power to stay on top in the AFC West.

Saints will finally make the Superbowl and win it, with a ridiculous event going their way for a change instead of against them.

Cardinals will trade the no. 1 pick and will still dwell in the cellar of the league due to no O-line.

The Giants will NOT pick a QB this draft and end up with the no. 1 pick in next year's draft.

Jameis Winston will start out as the MVP of September, before completely blowing it down the stretch and getting benched and the Bucs still ending up with a top 10 pick in the next draft.

The AFC East will be better than people expect, with no team going below 5 wins.

The Rams will regress and just miss out on the playoffs in the last week of the season in a head to head battle with another NFC West team (probably Seahawks).

Jacksonville will get a new QB and look better and sneak in as a Wild Card.

Colts and Luck will be the off-season winners, with a rich free agent haul and a big draft. They'll have a first round bye and fail to deliver in the playoffs.

Ravens will be injury ravaged, but still compete hard. (this is an evergreen statement not so much a hot take)

Patriots are on some kind of odd-year/even-year bullshit, and with it being an odd year, Edelman gets hurt again and they struggle to replace him and they don't win the Super Bowl (everyone rejoice).

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it time for Hot Takes, I got a few:

- Antonio Brown doesn't get delt, the Steelers Transition Tag Lev Bell who sits out the year again, and the locker room implodes so bad it gets Tomlin fired. Setting up Mike McCarthy to coach up the successor to Big Ben and I think we all know where this story is going.

- Speaking of McCarthy, his old team will fail to make the playoffs for the third straight year. Setting the Wisconsin Sports Callers hair on fire with calls to trade Rodgers for the #1 overall pick and draft an unproven rookie that is guaranteed to not be an improvement.

- This year will not feature a "worst to first" team. No 4th place team from 2018 will win their division next year. I'm tempted to say no 4th place 2018 team even makes the playoffs this year but I could see Jacksonville doing it if Big Dick Nick returns to BDN form.

- The LA Chargers will get the first seed in the AFC, and proceed to lose their Divisional Round game. Setting up a Foxboro AFC Championship yet again.

- The Bills will fire their coach by Week 10.

- No QBs go in the top 10 of the draft. The Broncos traded for Flacco, the Giants decide to punt on the Eli Manning problem another year, the Buccs don't want to "break Jameis," the Raiders see my next point, and the Jaguars sign Nick Foles.

- The Oakland Raiders become the first NFL team to embrace tanking down the stretch, trade Carr midseason, lock up 2020's #1 pick, and draft Tua.

- Everyone bets on the Browns making the playoffs. They post a 7-9 season and everyone says "maybe next year."

- Everybody in New York gets swept out next year. Jets GM, Jets Coach, Giants GM, Giants Coach. Also bonus mention to Gregg Williams who might be fired by Week 2.

- The Super Bowl will be Bears - Patriots, the Bears win it. Tom Brady, who plays merely okay and looks clearly on the decline, will announce after the game he's coming back for the 2020 season. In which the Patriots mask him with a run-heavy defense-led supporting cast and win a 7th Super Bowl, which finally convinces Brady to retire.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Is it time for Hot Takes, I got a few:

- Antonio Brown doesn't get delt, the Steelers Transition Tag Lev Bell who sits out the year again, and the locker room implodes so bad it gets Tomlin fired. Setting up Mike McCarthy to coach up the successor to Big Ben and I think we all know where this story is going.

- Speaking of McCarthy, his old team will fail to make the playoffs for the third straight year. Setting the Wisconsin Sports Callers hair on fire with calls to trade Rodgers for the #1 overall pick and draft an unproven rookie that is guaranteed to not be an improvement.

- This year will not feature a "worst to first" team. No 4th place team from 2018 will win their division next year. I'm tempted to say no 4th place 2018 team even makes the playoffs this year but I could see Jacksonville doing it if Big Dick Nick returns to BDN form.

- The LA Chargers will get the first seed in the AFC, and proceed to lose their Divisional Round game. Setting up a Foxboro AFC Championship yet again.

- The Bills will fire their coach by Week 10.

- No QBs go in the top 10 of the draft. The Broncos traded for Flacco, the Giants decide to punt on the Eli Manning problem another year, the Buccs don't want to "break Jameis," the Raiders see my next point, and the Jaguars sign Nick Foles.

- The Oakland Raiders become the first NFL team to embrace tanking down the stretch, trade Carr midseason, lock up 2020's #1 pick, and draft Tua.

- Everyone bets on the Browns making the playoffs. They post a 7-9 season and everyone says "maybe next year."

- Everybody in New York gets swept out next year. Jets GM, Jets Coach, Giants GM, Giants Coach. Also bonus mention to Gregg Williams who might be fired by Week 2.

- The Super Bowl will be Bears - Patriots, the Bears win it. Tom Brady, who plays merely okay and looks clearly on the decline, will announce after the game he's coming back for the 2020 season. In which the Patriots mask him with a run-heavy defense-led supporting cast and win a 7th Super Bowl, which finally convinces Brady to retire.
    Spicy. Jets already changed coach this year though, so it would be unusual for them to change again this soon.

I also like the Bears in the Super Bowl. They have precisely the kind of blend of talent and experience to make it work. If they get an upgrade at kicker that is...

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Spicy. Jets already changed coach this year though, so it would be unusual for them to change again this soon.

I also like the Bears in the Super Bowl. They have precisely the kind of blend of talent and experience to make it work. If they get an upgrade at kicker that is...
    I just get the feeling the Jets situation has already imploded. At the very least I think their GM and Williams are out after this season, with Gase potentially hanging on because the Jets don't want to have to pay for two fired coaches. But if he was their 4th choice this cycle I could see a house cleaning and a collapsed relationship with his coaching staff doing him in in favor of the Jets taking another stab at landing a top-tier QB guy for Darnold.

As for the Bears, I'm a Packers fan so that should tell you how strongly I think of the Bears. I see them on a similar trajectory as the Rams, but better. The Rams had to go out last offseason and totally rebuild their secondary. I don't think the Bears need to totally rebuild any part of their team. Maybe beef up their run defense, maybe sign an extra corner, maybe get another receiver in the rotation. They can be picky in free agency, and they're going to be a popular destination.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah here's another hot take I forgot about.

The Saints won't win the South, may not even make the playoffs. Two stunning playoff exits in a row is going to take a toll on you eventually, and the Panthers and Falcons are both still lurking as good if they can get over their own playoff-induced boogymen.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)