Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    The Ravens very abruptly turned back into a pumpkin. They feasted on a terrible division and a generally low quality of competition in the AFC to get here.

It's why I never bought this talk that they were a head and shoulders above the other 31 teams. I always figured that 49ers game was no fluke and if SF is "not actually that good" then neither is Baltimore.
    Yeah 49ers was also not full healthy against the Baltimore team I think, only Kittle was back as I remember, and it was a close one.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post
    Yeah 49ers was also not full healthy against the Baltimore team I think, only Kittle was back as I remember, and it was a close one.
    Yeah they needed a late game field goal in that. Which was also very low scoring if I recall.

They weren't an all-time offense. They were an above-average offense and an above-average defense. I picked SF to beat them in the rematch in my start of playoffs bracket.

Also let's be honest they were another victim of the "peaked too early" problem at least one team seems to run into every year.

Also let me just say I don't think this is any kind of proof that "Lamar Jackson can't win in the Playoffs" though I'm sure that'll be the narrative stuck to him now until he does it. I'm a Packers fan, and this Titans team is reminding me of the 2010 Packers that got in as a 6 seed and just went on a berserker rampage to a ring.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2020-01-12 at 04:43 AM.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    The Ravens very abruptly turned back into a pumpkin. They feasted on a terrible division and a generally low quality of competition in the AFC to get here.

It's why I never bought this talk that they were a head and shoulders above the other 31 teams. I always figured that 49ers game was no fluke and if SF is "not actually that good" then neither is Baltimore.
    Again, I stated they were overrated. I never thought they were the best team in the AFC, they just lucked out because Mahomes was injured for a while and Brady is no longer the same Brady. Even though the Steelers had an outside chance at the playoffs, they weren't the Steelers of old.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

At this point, I gotta cheer for Mahomes. Gotta cheer for once-potential Bills QBs that we passed on, and I don't think Watson (who we also passed on) will beat KC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I would hate my life having to tackle Henry.
    I think about this comment every time he comes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think you can stop Derrick Henry while he is this hot.

You just need to outscore the Titans. The other teams left can do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Don't think you can stop Derrick Henry while he is this hot.

You just need to outscore the Titans. The other teams left can do that.
    Question is how long can he keep running like this? Can a single RB put an entire offense on his back for 4 games in a row in 2020?

10+ Year Old Account
    Question is how long can he keep running like this? Can a single RB put an entire offense on his back for 4 games in a row in 2020?
    That's the weakness for the Titans. Every one is kind of hyping them after two upsets, but I'm going to pump the breaks here.

Does Derrick Henry belong in the playoffs on fire. Definitely, but the rest of the Titans team is not good enough. No secret the Patriots had a weak offense and couldn't outscore them. Without an interception it's actually inches close with arguably the worse offense for playoffs in the Patriots.

Ravens handed them multiple touchdowns with turnovers. Titans imo will get squashed when they face a better rounded team that gets the lead on them early.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their defense just held the Ravens to 12 points...

Also Henry only had two more carries per game than the rest of the top RB's in the league, during the regular season. And he's not a receiving back, so more than likely his workload is the same, if not less, than a player like Zeke or McCaffrey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quoth the Raven

"Never Score"
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Since Ravens lost to the Titans I think we have to ask the question: is Lamar Jackson washed up? Should the team move on from him? A reliable source says both Jackson and Harbaugh could be leaving the team in the off-season.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch. That was a big drop.
    No Lamar isn't washed up. Only NFL fans are this reactionary and its not a good look for the league. Only in the NFL, and somewhat in CFB, are people quick to throw otherwise good teams/athletes under the bus for dips. The NFL is a league where a bad day can 'ruin' your entire season. No way the Titans are a better team but they deserved their win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    I think you missed a bit of sarcasm in the washed up comment above :P I don't think he was being serious with that question.

Good points though, regardless.
    If you go on Twitter people are dead ass serious. Maybe he is being sarcastic, I hope he is...but a lot of people are dead serious when they say stuff like that as if the Titans were dominating all season and the Ravens stumbled into the playoffs.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I was furiously rooting for the Titans after Earl Thomas said his defense wouldn't let Henry walk all over them like the Patriots did.

Glad ol' Earl got a taste of Derrick Henry in his full splendor. His defense gave up 2x the points the Patriots defense did.

Funny thing is that the Titans have now beaten 2 good teams and people are STILL writing them off. Wake up call people, Titans are just a good team suffering from an 2-4 start with another QB.

I hope they go all the way to the Superbowl now.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I was furiously rooting for the Titans after Earl Thomas said his defense wouldn't let Henry walk all over them like the Patriots did.

Glad ol' Earl got a taste of Derrick Henry in his full splendor. His defense gave up 2x the points the Patriots defense did.

Funny thing is that the Titans have now beaten 2 good teams and people are STILL writing them off. Wake up call people, Titans are just a good team suffering from an 2-4 start with another QB.

I hope they go all the way to the Superbowl now.
    Speaking for myself (who is skeptic still)--it's Tannehill. Throwing for 70/80 yards a playoff game, and winning, shouldn't be sustainable. At some point, he's going to need to contribute more and win with his arm and I'm not convinced he can do it. I know what the QBR numbers (and other stats) say, but the eye test says otherwise. Historically (2000+), teams like the Titans just don't win a lot of Superbowls (2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2015 Broncos) as it requires a lot to go right without having a QB who can ball out if needed.

That said--teams like the Titans obviously have won, so I'm not sitting here saying "no chance". A lot needs to come together defensively and I'm just playing the percentages of what has happened historically. It's certainly fun to watch Derrick Henry terrorize everyone and watch them shock the world each week they keep going. It's a nice change of pace from seeing the usual suspects win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Speaking for myself (who is skeptic still)--it's Tannehill. Throwing for 70/80 yards a playoff game, and winning, shouldn't be sustainable. At some point, he's going to need to contribute more and win with his arm and I'm not convinced he can do it. I know what the QBR numbers (and other stats) say, but the eye test says otherwise. Historically (2000+), teams like the Titans just don't win a lot of Superbowls (2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2015 Broncos) as it requires a lot to go right without having a QB who can ball out if needed.

That said--teams like the Titans obviously have won, so I'm not sitting here saying "no chance". A lot needs to come together defensively and I'm just playing the percentages of what has happened historically. It's certainly fun to watch Derrick Henry terrorize everyone and watch them shock the world each week they keep going.
    Yeah, but who in the AFC is going to force them to throw it? The Chiefs might if they get off to a fast start, but the Chiefs also do not really have the defense to stop Henry, so the Titans might just run all over them too. The Texans are in the same division as the Titans, which would be interesting and the game would be in Houston. Texans beat them when it was legit, so there's reason to think the Texans might do it again, but then the Titans might have a little revenge in mind too.

I like their chances of making it to the Superbowl in this particular AFC field.

It's a nice change of pace from seeing the usual suspects win.
    We'll have to agree to disagree

I would have definitely preferred the Patriots to still be in it xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I think about this comment every time he comes up.
    So did Earl Thomas yesterday. That was pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah, but who in the AFC is going to force them to throw it? The Chiefs might if they get off to a fast start, but the Chiefs also do not really have the defense to stop Henry, so the Titans might just run all over them too. The Texans are in the same division as the Titans, which would be interesting and the game would be in Houston. Texans beat them when it was legit, so there's reason to think the Texans might do it again, but then the Titans might have a little revenge in mind too.

I like their chances of making it to the Superbowl in this particular AFC field.

We'll have to agree to disagree

I would have definitely preferred the Patriots to still be in it xD
    Chiefs are about the only team I think. And I have my questions about if the Titans even WOULD throw it while behind with how Henry is playing. Honestly San Francisco is about the one team left that I'd say could shut down Henry.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Browns hiring Stefanski.

This is why bad organizations stay bad. They went into the offseason saying "we have a roster of extremely volatile stars, our last young first year coach failed, we need a veteran guy that can handle these stars and has the credibility to be listened to." Then they go out and just hire their #2 choice from last offseason, another young first year coach that has never had to deal with guys like OBJ.

Willing to bet McDaniels backed out on them and they didn't want to wait on Salah, so they went to their best available.

Probably the only good news here is this was apparently DePodesta's pick, not Haslam's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy that they seem complacent with failure. McDaniels wanted to tear it down, they didn't want that. Also didn't want to wait to hire Salah, who I believe to be the best remaining option for them. Looks like the 9ers defense will keep their guy unless theres a surprise firing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Crazy that they seem complacent with failure. McDaniels wanted to tear it down, they didn't want that. Also didn't want to wait to hire Salah, who I believe to be the best remaining option for them. Looks like the 9ers defense will keep their guy unless theres a surprise firing.
    Roman, Salah, Bienimy, and McDaniels all stay home.

What a nutty hiring cycle that the top 4 guys all didn't get jobs.

I wonder if you can look up "blown coverage" and it would be already updated with that Texans TD
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I wonder if you can look up "blown coverage" and it would be already updated with that Texans TD
    The AFC is absolutely on fire.

Honestly I'm starting to believe if we somehow beat the 49ers, even the Packers could win this Super Bowl.