Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    IDK why they can't just design zones with flying in mind like Storm Peaks and Icecrown?
    Yes exactly. Or Deepholm.

Compromise would be give us flying at max level as in TbC, WothlK and Pandaria (Cata we could fly from the start) - but throw in the exploration achivement too so you've been "immersed in the landscape" before being allowed to see it from above.

Although from a "rp/logical" (for lack of better terms) it makes little sense. We learned to fly in TbC; how come we keep "forgetting" it every so often, well except from taxi birds and bombing quests (at least WotlK had "cold weather" as excuse)??

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The point being that if a player has the power of flying available to them, they're able to consume content faster. Mostly because Blizzard refuses to change how flight works, or alter content to take flight into consideration when designing it.
    I already ate that content. It's in my belly.

I just farted, and it smells a little bit like that content, but mostly like a fart. Several hours later, I will go to the bathroom and poop out that content.

In summary, the content has been consumed.

Yes, it makes alts faster, going through the exact same content I already completed multiple times. That isn't consuming new content, it's regurgitating and then eating your vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post

I just farted, and it smells a little bit like that content, but mostly like a fart. Several hours later, I will go to the bathroom and poop out that content.

Yes, it makes alts faster, going through the exact same content I already completed multiple times. That isn't consuming new content, it's regurgitating and then eating your vomit.
    LMFAO this is facts. Disgusting analogy, but that is the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Better compromise:

Put in all the pathfinder achievements from the start and let people unlock it at whatever speed they want. Majority of people have finished part 1 yonks ago and are now just waiting for them to release part two.

I get they want everyone to explore the world on foot but that's already all done in part 1 so what exactly is the reason for making people wait?
    I mean not only that but with shields and crafted items you can avoid being dismounted. Literally the only difference (with one caveat) between what we have now and flying was the dismounted by mobs thing.

The one caveat is when they abstractly put in some kind of mountain you have to climb but the ramp up the mountain is only in one spot so you have to run around and around and around until you find it. Because wasting time is an "experience" or something.

Also, the worst part is, when you get a gear upgrade that you don't have the azerite for, so you lose your shield and now get dismounted trying to do WQs for items that don't even help you. Sure, I can 2 shot most the WQ mobs at this point and can just feign death too, but... what is the point of inconveniencing people for fun?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    I like that. But realistically that would be very rage-inducing. I can hear the cries of pvpers saying they are being punished.
    There are no PVPers, first off. There are just PVEers trying to grind azerite and being griefed.

For two, we already have the "auto dismount a person" item, that has no purpose until flying is introduced. Effectively there will be no flying in warmode because of it.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Flying should unlock as soon as you get loremaster achievement of that expansion , you basically seen everything that expansion had to offer once and now should be able to enjoy flying on your character and future alts .

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    There are no PVPers, first off. There are just PVEers trying to grind azerite and being griefed.

For two, we already have the "auto dismount a person" item, that has no purpose until flying is introduced. Effectively there will be no flying in warmode because of it.
    I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. Some PvPers must exist... somewhere...

I assume you mean the Net-o-Matic 5000. Not everyone has it. Not everyone uses it. I wasn't aware it was a thing until you mentioned it. But I'm not a PvPer. Likewise other non-pvpers with war mode on may not know about it :P

Just give us flying at the start of the expansion.
    Sure, flying makes some content trivial, but BfA has no content to start off with so no loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post

/facepalm

Are you intentionally TRYING to not understand that what we're talking about is the situation where IF flying was available the FIRST time you consumed the content?
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-02-22 at 07:12 PM.
    In case it wasn't clear, I'm a fan of what Blizzard COULD be, not the ruins of what it is now.

I'm OK if they completely remove flying. You know what? Not only flying but also they should remove portals.

Make WOW Great Again!

Are you intentionally TRYING to not understand that what we're talking about is the situation where IF flying was available the FIRST time you consumed the content?
    No, I wasn't intentionally being obtuse, I had no clue that's what you were talking about. They clearly aren't going to do that ever again, and only did it in Cataclysm because they really had no choice due to how the zones were integrated into the existing world, so why bring it up?

We do have an answer. It's just not one the fanbois and apologists and sheep are willing to accept: Money.

If they keep flight withheld, it keeps you working on it. It keeps you anticipating it. In some cases it brings players back to the game in order to get it. It keeps players moving more slowly from objective to objective. It allows Blizzard better control and prediction of the rate that content gets consumed. It lets them cut corners with more simplistic encounter design and monster AI. It lets them economize every square inch of landscape. And a plethora of other minor reasons that all add up to stretching content and taking agency away from players and putting it in the hands of Blizzard.

Money.

Now...the counter argument is that Blizzard could make money by making a more enjoyable game. But sorry folks, fun is subjective. Controlling the pace at which content is consumed is not. Which do you think a corp as ruthless and calculating as Acti-Blizz is going to bank on? The subjective enjoyment of their players, or the hard numbers?

There is no other reason why flight isn't more present in WoW. Blizzard isn't interested in making a better game. They just want to milk players for as much money as possible before starting the entire cycle over with a new expansion and flipping all the sheep back onto the hype train for another run to the bank.
    We had higher sub numbers in WotLK and MoP than WoD which is when they started restricting flying.

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    Thats why they call it leveling, besides by the time Uldir launched the zones themselves were obsolete. Already revered with most, didnt need the currency, ap or the gear by that point so why ground us.....
    arbitrary time sink. when you spend more time travelling and less time doing useful shit, you'll spend more time in game to do what you could normally do in a fraction of the time.

The only compromise is to make flying threats. Without it flying will always be used to handicapped teleport to locations of importance.

Flying post TBC and wotlk (when it was used as location unlock) reminds me of noclipping to the end of level in half life
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

People consume faster than you do. Not their fault you take ages to complete shit.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Parhfinder is fine. You explore, you complete chain quests, you even search for something (treasures and so on). I do not agree with reputation prerequisites (unless you can complete them simply completing your way to pf, aka NO freaking emissaries, story quests only).

But when pf is finished, you unlock flying. No time gating.

Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    The whole purpose is to have people experience the zones before giving them the ability to just fly over all of it.
    We've experienced it have people get loremaster then you can fly it's pretty dang simple.

Quote Originally Posted by azka View Post
    I'm OK if they completely remove flying. You know what? Not only flying but also they should remove portals.

Make WOW Great Again!
    With 8.2 ground mounts will go away too. In 8.3 also running will be forbidden. By the end of the year we will only be able to walk at 0,5 speed, so we can better enjoy the environment (mythic timers will also double, don’t worry).

There needs to be more exploration in the sky, Flying cities, worm holes, air combat, whole zones in the sky that needs flying mounts to explore, at this point in the game I would bet everyone has a flying mount or a friend with a 2 seat'er. If worse comes to worse put fly points from one Fly point to the other, just up in the clouds, oh and where TF is there clouds in wow that you can fly through and be like holy shit look at all this awesomeness to explore above the clouds..not to mention cargo runs you could use your mounts for. The damn options open to improve flying in WOW is almost limitless but instead the devs can't come up with just 1 of those options so instead they just take it away. A child could come up with a better system.

I would have thought it was obvious by now.

They are going to keep trying to remove flying every xpac...because it saves money for them they don't need to develop it or code for it in later expansion which saves them money.
    IF the players make them cave they are going to implement it is a shit way to annoy as many people as possible in an attempt to disuade you from looking for it in later expansions.

They are going to keep trying to remove flying every xpac...because it saves money for them they don't need to develop it or code for it in later expansion which saves them money.
    Never have I seen someone so oblivious to how coding works. The flying system is the same since TBC. This is controlled by the world designers in the editor they use. When they create a zone they simply hit a checkbox to disable flying until X achivement is earned. It's 2 seconds of work.

Even if it's hardcoded they just reuse old flying pathfinder code and exchange the achivement unlock and which zones they affect. Takes maybe 2 min.