10+ Year Old Account

Upgrade now, or wait til summer?

First, a couple of things:
    -Cost is no more an issue now than it will be in summer
    -Don't bother suggesting Intel, I am team Ryzen.
    - WoW/Diablo is essentially 90% of my pc gaming, so extolling the virtues of other game benchmarks on certain cards is a non-topic.

With all of the nasty fine print aside:

I am currently running a Ryzen 2600x (OC to 4.1ghz), DeepCool Captain 120mm rad system, Gigabyte x370 K5 board, 16gb Vengeance DDR4 @3000mhz, Gigabyte Windforce OC 1050ti (long story, wasn't the GPU I started with).

The SSD/HDD stuff is less important for this discussion.

So it comes down to this. My system is not broken, or super old (as you can see). that said, I want to upgrade. After the tentative announcement/leak of Ryzen 2 and Navi launching in the summer of this year I am torn between dropping money now for a GPU that a generation behind, and knowing I intend to upgrade the CPU/MB to R5 3600/x570, or waiting until the summer (keeping the 1050ti running) and upgrade both CPU/GPU at the same time. I don't want to drop 250-350 on a "stop-gap" in the form of a 580/590. As someone who doesn't play anything that even has RT in future options, I am not enamored with any of the RTX cards.

I considered the GTX 1660, but if Navi meets even close to it's desired outcome (challenging the higher tier Nvidia cards) I want to def be a part of that.

I do some streaming and video production which means the GPU won't be wasted, but I am not 100% sold on release-day function of the R2. I remember when Ryzen came out and how it took several updates to get things straight and so I AM a bit concerned about that.

Thoughts? Would I really be better off dollar-for-dollar getting a 1660ti? Should I stick to waiting? My current gaming performance doesn't really suffer.. Outside of not raiding at Max settings (which I have never done, needless visuals that distract and nothing else). Any suggestions I may be overlooking (or even super cheap stopgap for GPU)?
    Last edited by bowchikabow; 2019-02-27 at 04:00 AM. Reason: incorrect cpu clock. good catch potis
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Question 1)

Why would you OC a 2600X to 3.9Ghz when it literally runs on 4.25 , 24/7 if running any application? Unless you mean 2600 and not 2600x.

I mean,i know it fluctuates a lot when all 6 cores run, but it doesnt go down to 3.9Ghz if i recall so whats the point exactly?

Or maybe better motherboards? I dont know, i build a few 2600X these past few months and testing all 6 cores i dont remember it ever actually dropping that low so really asking why.

Question 2)

Why would you change anything in that PC for the stuff you use it for?

Neither Diablo or WoW require much higher than 1050 Ti (Ignoring render scales and dumbass AA settings in WoW).

Save your money, for a much longer time than you are thinking and wait for whatever AMD might release after summer.

That will either drop the 2060 price, or the Navi GPU will actually be something new and exciting.

Question 3)

What does RTX has to do with anything with what you are gonna purchase?

RTX is just another gimmick that in 2-3 card generations and lots of tuning from companies (If it catches up) it will be another feature that no one cares about, while your card will still run the older settings just fine.

Why gimp your build because of that reasoning?

Its literally like saying back in 2008-9 "Well i will stick to my 7600 GT cause fuck PhysX"

Question 4)

What exactly do you expect from Ryzen 2 that will excuse the cost of upgrading for a very awesome CPU like the 2600X?

That they will magically solve all their heating problems that they have been having in all of their products in the last 10 years and produce some amazing 20 core 5Ghz CPU at 300$?

Save your money, wait for Navi for 2060 to drop to a more normal price and go for that, your 1050 Ti can handle your stuff just fine , or get the Navi equivalent.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-02-27 at 12:08 AM.

If your main game is WoW get a Intel.
    If you want better graphics get a GTX 1660ti its a ok card and it will take a few years till we get a big performance jump from 7nm.
    Vega VII is showing that AMD isnt ready for a good Mid-Tier GPU atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    If your main game is WoW get a Intel.
    If you want better graphics get a GTX 1660ti its a ok card and it will take a few years till we get a big performance jump from 7nm.
    Vega VII is showing that AMD isnt ready for a good Mid-Tier GPU atm.
    that was only a vega refresh.. Navi is specifically built on a new process on 7nm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Question 1)

Why would you OC a 2600X to 3.9Ghz when it literally runs on 4.25 , 24/7 if running any application? Unless you mean 2600 and not 2600x.

I mean,i know it fluctuates a lot when all 6 cores run, but it doesnt go down to 3.9Ghz if i recall so whats the point exactly?

Or maybe better motherboards? I dont know, i build a few 2600X these past few months and testing all 6 cores i dont remember it ever actually dropping that low so really asking why.
    good catch, wrote that one wrong.. is supposed to be 4.1ghz. I am not comfortable pushing too far into the voltage/clock here.. This is a happy limit me. Also, the cooler doesn't like it when I go too high too long.

Question 2)

Why would you change anything in that PC for the stuff you use it for?

Neither Diablo or WoW require much higher than 1050 Ti (Ignoring render scales and dumbass AA settings in WoW).

Save your money, for a much longer time than you are thinking and wait for whatever AMD might release after summer.

That will either drop the 2060 price, or the Navi GPU will actually be something new and exciting.
    first: I use dual monitors and performance drops alot when I push refresh rates higher than 60hz. Also, as I said.. I do streaming and vid editing/production. 1050ti CAN do it.. but it is a very distinct difference.

Question 3)

What does RTX has to do with anything with what you are gonna purchase?

RTX is just another gimmick that in 2-3 card generations and lots of tuning from companies (If it catches up) it will be another feature that no one cares about, while your card will still run the older settings just fine.

Why gimp your build because of that reasoning?

Its literally like saying back in 2008-9 "Well i will stick to my 7600 GT cause fuck PhysX"
    This stemmed from a conversation with a tech friend who spent the entire time going on and on and on and on about the RTX cards and how I needed them. Non-stop. And I just got tired of it. Given that the value proposition of buying something which not only contains.. but almost based on the use of.. Something I have no interest or use in.. is ridiculous. It's like telling someone to get a 1080ti to plants vs zombies.

Question 4)

What exactly do you expect from Ryzen 2 that will excuse the cost of upgrading for a very awesome CPU like the 2600X?

That they will magically solve all their heating problems that they have been having in all of their products in the last 10 years and produce some amazing 20 core 5Ghz CPU at 300$?
    umm.. IPC/raw clock speed increases in single thread for toe-to-toe against intel but at lower price point. reduced power.. I am replacing my cooling system so heat is less of a issue, if I were itemizing "concerns".

Save your money, wait for Navi for 2060 to drop to a more normal price and go for that, your 1050 Ti can handle your stuff just fine , or get the Navi equivalent.
    That is what I was looking for. A concise opinion about whether to wait or not.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    "Dont bother suggesting a better product, particularly since money is not an issue, I am a fanboi who doesn't actually care if he gets better performance".

Great way to start.

- WoW/Diablo is essentially 90% of my pc gaming, so extolling the virtues of other game benchmarks on certain cards is a non-topic.

With all of the nasty fine print aside:

I am currently running a Ryzen 2600x (OC to 4.1ghz), DeepCool Captain 120mm rad system, Gigabyte x370 K5 board, 16gb Vengeance DDR4 @3000mhz, Gigabyte Windforce OC 1050ti (long story, wasn't the GPU I started with).

The SSD/HDD stuff is less important for this discussion.

So it comes down to this. My system is not broken, or super old (as you can see). that said, I want to upgrade. After the tentative announcement/leak of Ryzen 2 and Navi launching in the summer of this year I am torn between dropping money now for a GPU that a generation behind, and knowing I intend to upgrade the CPU/MB to R5 3600/x570, or waiting until the summer (keeping the 1050ti running) and upgrade both CPU/GPU at the same time. I don't want to drop 250-350 on a "stop-gap" in the form of a 580/590. As someone who doesn't play anything that even has RT in future options, I am not enamored with any of the RTX cards.

I considered the GTX 1660, but if Navi meets even close to it's desired outcome (challenging the higher tier Nvidia cards) I want to def be a part of that.
    You... want to be part of an utter fantasy? Navi isn't going to have high-end cards. During and after the release of Radeon VII, Lisa Su confirmed straight up that Radeon VII is the high end card for the forseeable future. Navi is going to replace the RX 500 series cards. I mean, its not even a rumor. She said it. In plain English. On stage.

I do some streaming and video production which means the GPU won't be wasted, but I am not 100% sold on release-day function of the R2. I remember when Ryzen came out and how it took several updates to get things straight and so I AM a bit concerned about that.

Thoughts? Would I really be better off dollar-for-dollar getting a 1660ti? Should I stick to waiting? My current gaming performance doesn't really suffer.. Outside of not raiding at Max settings (which I have never done, needless visuals that distract and nothing else). Any suggestions I may be overlooking (or even super cheap stopgap for GPU)?
    The 1660Ti is a stellar performer for its price. At best, the Navi card at its price range will probably equal its performance.

If you're actually concerned about a good future-proofier card purchase, i'd be grabbing an RTX 2060. And no, not because its got RTX or DLSS - just because at the MSRP its unlikely Navi is going to compete, or be any better, and you dont have to wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    So you primarily play WoW, but don't want an objectively better CPU for it? Okay.

Wait for Ryzen 2 then, it's the only chance you have of getting close to intel in Blizzard's titles.

As for GPU: From what I've heard, Vega VII is intended to be AMD's high-end for this generation. They aren't very good at making high end cards, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Navi