Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Pit Lord msdos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    they are stereotypes for a reason.
    And what reason would that be?

  2. #122
    Pandaren Monk smityx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Walmart Basment FEMA Camp 7
    Posts
    1,949
    Such a beautiful soul


  3. #123
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    39,244
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    For years, classical Greek sculpture was believed to be a perfectionist fantasy - an impossible ideal, but we now think a number of the exquisite statues from the 5th to the 3rd Centuries BC were in fact cast from life - a real person was covered with plaster, and the mould created was then used to make the sculpture.

    For the Greeks a beautiful body was considered direct evidence of a beautiful mind. They even had a word for it - kaloskagathos - which meant being gorgeous to look at, and hence being a good person.

    Beauty was frequently a competitive sport. Beauty contests - kallisteia - were a regular fixture in the training grounds of the Olympics at Elis and on the islands of Tenedos and Lesbos, where women were judged as they walked to and fro

    There was even a contest in honour of Aphrodite Kallipugos - Aphrodite of the beautiful buttocks, where women were judged based on their butts

    Let's try Ancient Rome! Beauty masks and makeup :
    To keep their skin beautiful, women put at night a mask called tectorium (traditionally invented by Popea, Emperor Nero's wife), which they would remove the next day with milk. They exfoliated their bodies by smearing olive oil and then applying calcium carbonate or with pumice stones. Then they rinsed the mixture with water or with scented oils (cedar, myrrh, pine, lily, saffron, quince, jara, violet or roses). Women had to be careful with cosmetics because applying them too much was considered only proper for lupae (prostitutes)

    The most used cosmetic was colour for the cheeks, which was considered healthy (although Plutarch advises to not use too much)
    Long eyelashes were considered very beautiful (from the writings of Pliny, some women were totally obsessed with them). Eyes were shaped as big as possible with black antimony powder

    Anything sounds familiar?
    I stand by the statement. Not much has changed the last 2000 years
    Nah just circumstancial nonsense. Like looking at PornHub as a premise of defining beauty or sex. When porn by its definition is manufactured. Made up art.

    You can't draw anymore conclusions about objective beauty in Grece by such a standard either.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    oh, i'm all about sexual freedom. be as much of a degenerate as you want.

    but at least consider not cursing another person to live with a problem they had no choice in having.
    I will dont worry.

    I have no intention of breeding. But forcing people I've grown up around to be sterilized given some of them would make better parents than most people have is fucking wrong. The people I dont know deserve a shot too. Can you at least backtrack on the force or coercive side of your point so I can move on instead of being reminded that people still want to do the whole eugenics thing?

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Cute af. Reminds me of my pug.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Unless you subscribe also to the thinking behind that purported myth that white people are objectively the most attractive. Which is precisely where that bullshit comes from.
    Uhh, what? I'm talking about how different (environmental) factors can influence different cultures on what they largely perceive to be attractive and how they have changed for different human societies across millennia.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'm saying that just because something or someone is ugly, doesn't mean it can't be attractive.

    it's ugly, objectively. attraction to it doesn't change the fact.

    http://i.imgur.com/rN9bCPD.jpg

    ^that is objectively ugly. there's still some sick motherfucker out there that'd fuck it.
    "It"? You realize that's a human being and not a rock, right?

    Well, this is when this turns into semantics.

    Typically when one person is attracted to another, the very idea of the attraction makes the person they're attracted to "attractive". That person may not be attractive to you, but if people truly go off of personality over looks, then that person could still be a nice person and be someone that someone else could date and find appealing.

    Or putting it in a more relatable way, maybe he's a supportive and loving guy and he has an equally well-rounded partner who doesn't mind that he's on the larger side.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?
    Because we don't all share your specific tastes.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    And what reason would that be?
    That majority think X is more beautiful than Y thus X will be portraited as the standard for beauty.
    It's not rocket surgery.

  10. #130
    Bloodsail Admiral Korlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    1,113
    Cause you are beautiful.
    In every single way.....

    words....


    can't..........



    bbbbrrrriiiinnn...........ggg....
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    You forgot the whole bra thing
    Bras don't always help.

  12. #132
    Pit Lord msdos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    That majority think X is more beautiful than Y thus X will be portraited as the standard for beauty.
    It's not rocket surgery.
    Why did you add the "its not rocket surgery" part in? Why do the combative people respond to me?

    You're so brilliant and smart, is that what you're looking for?

    Standard for beauty
    I never thought like this. That's what I mean by stereotype. You have to be stereotyping in the first place for there to even be a "standard", which is a social construct in the first place.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    That majority think X is more beautiful than Y thus X will be portraited as the standard for beauty.
    It's not rocket surgery.
    You mean rocket science. Looks ain't all that matters. Not to everyone.

  14. #134
    The Undying Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    39,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Uhh, what? I'm talking about how different (environmental) factors can influence different cultures on what they largely perceive to be attractive and how they have changed for different human societies across millennia.
    No none of that is true. And to suggest as much is as much unscientific thinking as anything else. Even animals and primates to not follow the patterns you're talking about.

    Sure some features could lead to physical attraction at first sight as being attractive. But that in no way corerelates to objective views of beauty. Like at all.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Calling someone ugly seems unnecessarily cruel.
    This.

    Just don't say anything at all. No need to randomly pointing out hurtful observations.
    Instead of seeing see you later to old people do you say "Might see later if you haven't died. You know, because you're old and stuff".

  16. #136
    Herald of the Titans Alex86el's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Greece-EU
    Posts
    2,642
    some people are overly sensitive.
    some people want to be liked.
    some do it to not sadden the other person.
    some people like to avoid (potential) confrontation.

    it's silly. but it's not "bad". it is what it is.

    and no, for the most part beauty is not "highly subjective", you're just lying to yourself.
    yes, there are differences from culture to culture, but certain characteristics, are instinctively considered better-looking or not.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    People have stereotyped ideas of beauty.

    I discovered this growing up and realizing that 9 out 10 of my male friends thought features that I found attractive in women were repulsive:
    Freckles, "horse face", long noses, bug eyes, no boobs but a nice backside, average looking girls in general.

    Eventually I would just name all the features I thought were stigmas just to see what dudes would say and it's pretty obvious they all draw from blonde bimbo stereotype or the nubian queen or the latina firecracker or the traditional asian, since they all rule out the same stuff everytime and all find the most typical stuff attractive (big boobs, pretty, flawless skin, straight hair, perfect proportions all around, trendy perfection).
    I mean not every guy is like that obviously, but you see it a lot.
    Flaws like this make people more interesting and distinctive, throwing a wrench in the gears of overall objective beauty. The fact that you can still fit all the criteria you mentioned with the other stereotypes and still have these genetic flaws helps to back that up. (Google "freckled models")
    Last edited by CritFromAfar; 2019-02-27 at 11:05 PM.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Bras don't always help.
    I was talking more about the cost of larger bra sizes not the fact that they help or not

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Why did you add the "its not rocket surgery" part in? Why do the combative people respond to me?

    You're so brilliant and smart, is that what you're looking for?


    I never thought like this. That's what I mean by stereotype. You have to be stereotyping in the first place for there to even be a "standard", which is a social construct in the first place.
    Standards for beatuy is a social construct, yes. Not sure what your point is. My point is that it becomes a standard and thus a stereotype because there will always be traits that majority find attractive.

  20. #140
    Pit Lord msdos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusp View Post
    Flaws like this make people more interesting and distinctive, throwing a wrench in the gears of overall objective beauty. The fact that you can still fit all the criteria you mentioned with the other stereotypes and still have these genetic flaws helps to back that up.
    It's backed up even more when you over-analyze it.

    People say freckles are ugly, but what do freckles resemble? Stars in the sky. So surely people must think star filled skies are ugly as well? Freckles resemble a lot of things and whatever your mind perceives is 100% your idea. This is like the Laymen explanation of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

    They find their ideal image of beauty to be the only thing that's beautiful because they just haven't felt anything else?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •