Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

why do we say ugly people are beautiful?

why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?

What is getting better from calling someone ugly? Can they stop being ugly?

Beauty is highly subjective.

Lying is easy and benefits both parties emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?
    explain what is ugly.

is it someones face you find ugly? or is it because someone is fat and obese ?

in case one, its not something they can change or something they chose.

in other case, im with you! obesity is a problem and encouraging people who have it to do nothing is a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    What is getting better from calling someone ugly? Can they stop being ugly?
    Lying to ourselves and others is risky, even if we think it's innocuous. It's generally better not to lie. Maybe in this case, it's not better, but I think it's more helpful for people to be realistic with themselves so they can develop other parts of their persona to make up for inherent disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    What is getting better from calling someone ugly?
    Feel better about yourself.

"I may be ugly, but I ain't that ugly!"

Can they stop being ugly?
    Yes, but it takes time and lots of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    explain what is ugly.

There are general concepts, like asymmetry or disease state indicators (red bumps everywhere, for example), that people don't find attractive. Lots of traits are subjective.

It sounds like a cliché, but attractiveness is largely subjective based on different personal influences and cultural backgrounds.

Granted there are some traits are considered universally desireable traits like symmetric faces but they're a minority relative to many external factors.

Because those are subjective terms, ugly and beautiful both. Just because something meets a standard of beauty for a majority of people doesn't truly define it as beauty. Beauty to a lot of people doesn't make in unequivocally beautiful. Some find beauty in what others find ugly. It happens all the time.

Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled. I don't know.

because a trait is desirable, again, doesn't define something as beautiful. You can have desirable traits and be seen as ugly and vice versa. Beauty gets dulled down in the modern world, similar to worlds like Amazing, Hilarious, Perfect etc. But beauty is a concept that encompasses a lot beyond a few desirable things. Can those things lead to a definition of beauty.

There's no need to say it. But there's also no need to lie to their face by saying they're beautiful when they're not.

I sometimes say to my youngest child, who is about to turn 2, that "I really hope that you grow into your face." I am also an asshole some of the time in real life.

To people that I am not close with, I praise their strengths, rather than tear down their deficiencies. To keep things civil and besides, I don't want someone pointing out my own weaknesses, I imagine that they feel the same way.

Everyone is ugly to someone out there, and everyone is attractive to someone out there.

It's pretty subjective. Also, why be an asshole and insult people? Better to not say anything at all rather than lie OR needlessly insult someone.

Because why would I want to be mean to you? You can't help it

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    OP you are beautiful.
    shut up...

7+ Year Old Account
    Because for me, as cheese as it sounds, physical attractiveness is not really what i wanna call beautiful anymore. It differs from person to person.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Also, why be an asshole and insult people? Better to not say anything at all rather than lie OR needlessly insult someone.

The immortal words of thumper.
    What have the years of your life taught you to be?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    explain what is ugly.

in case one, its not something they can change or something they chose.

in other case, im with you! obesity is a problem and encouraging people who have it to do nothing is a bad thing.
    Lets say being obese is ugly. It is not because they can't change it that it isnt ugly. Whether you are a nice person has nothing to do with how good looking you are. Stop with this bs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because thinking someone is beautiful is their own personal opinion which can't really be compared?
    Some people..

Maybe because they're kind, and care about the persons feelings? And telling someone they're ugly is cruel, even if it's true? Maybe because looks aren't the only aspect about a person that matter? Maybe they want to make them feel good? Maybe they want them to be happy because they care? Maybe despite them not being a 10/10, they still somehow think they're beautiful in a subjective way?
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Calling someone ugly seems unnecessarily cruel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusp View Post
    Maybe because they're kind, and care about the persons feelings? And telling someone they're ugly is cruel, even if it's true? Maybe because looks aren't the only aspect about a person that matter? Maybe they want to make them feel good? Maybe they want them to be happy because they care? Maybe despite them not being a 10/10, they still somehow think they're beautiful in a subjective way?

why is it cruel? u are just saying the truth...