Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Uhh, what? I'm talking about how different (environmental) factors can influence different cultures on what they largely perceive to be attractive and how they have changed for different human societies across millennia.
    No none of that is true. And to suggest as much is as much unscientific thinking as anything else. Even animals and primates to not follow the patterns you're talking about.

Sure some features could lead to physical attraction at first sight as being attractive. But that in no way corerelates to objective views of beauty. Like at all.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Calling someone ugly seems unnecessarily cruel.
    This.

Just don't say anything at all. No need to randomly pointing out hurtful observations.
    Instead of seeing see you later to old people do you say "Might see later if you haven't died. You know, because you're old and stuff".

some people are overly sensitive.
    some people want to be liked.
    some do it to not sadden the other person.
    some people like to avoid (potential) confrontation.

it's silly. but it's not "bad". it is what it is.

and no, for the most part beauty is not "highly subjective", you're just lying to yourself.
    yes, there are differences from culture to culture, but certain characteristics, are instinctively considered better-looking or not.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    People have stereotyped ideas of beauty.

I discovered this growing up and realizing that 9 out 10 of my male friends thought features that I found attractive in women were repulsive:
    Freckles, "horse face", long noses, bug eyes, no boobs but a nice backside, average looking girls in general.

Eventually I would just name all the features I thought were stigmas just to see what dudes would say and it's pretty obvious they all draw from blonde bimbo stereotype or the nubian queen or the latina firecracker or the traditional asian, since they all rule out the same stuff everytime and all find the most typical stuff attractive (big boobs, pretty, flawless skin, straight hair, perfect proportions all around, trendy perfection).
    I mean not every guy is like that obviously, but you see it a lot.
    Flaws like this make people more interesting and distinctive, throwing a wrench in the gears of overall objective beauty. The fact that you can still fit all the criteria you mentioned with the other stereotypes and still have these genetic flaws helps to back that up. (Google "freckled models")
    Last edited by Seashore; 2019-02-27 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Bras don't always help.
    I was talking more about the cost of larger bra sizes not the fact that they help or not

Why did you add the "its not rocket surgery" part in? Why do the combative people respond to me?

You're so brilliant and smart, is that what you're looking for?

I never thought like this. That's what I mean by stereotype. You have to be stereotyping in the first place for there to even be a "standard", which is a social construct in the first place.
    Standards for beatuy is a social construct, yes. Not sure what your point is. My point is that it becomes a standard and thus a stereotype because there will always be traits that majority find attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusp View Post
    Flaws like this make people more interesting and distinctive, throwing a wrench in the gears of overall objective beauty. The fact that you can still fit all the criteria you mentioned with the other stereotypes and still have these genetic flaws helps to back that up.
    It's backed up even more when you over-analyze it.

People say freckles are ugly, but what do freckles resemble? Stars in the sky. So surely people must think star filled skies are ugly as well? Freckles resemble a lot of things and whatever your mind perceives is 100% your idea. This is like the Laymen explanation of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

They find their ideal image of beauty to be the only thing that's beautiful because they just haven't felt anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No none of that is true. And to suggest as much is as much unscientific thinking as anything else. Even animals and primates to not follow the patterns you're talking about.

Sure some features could lead to physical attraction at first sight as being attractive. But that in no way corerelates to objective views of beauty. Like at all.
    Dude, what are you smoking? I'm not saying that all traits we associate with a standard of beauty is objective. I literally outlined that fact in my OP.

What I am saying is that different factors influence different cultural standards of beauty. I'm...not sure how you can even argue against this...
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-02-27 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    My point is that it becomes a standard and thus a stereotype because there will always be traits that majority find attractive.
    So when you responded to me you were just repeating what I was saying? Okay then...

My point: stereotype isn't an indicator of beauty, it's an indicator of popular features.
    Last edited by msdos; 2019-02-27 at 11:11 PM.

You mean rocket science. Looks ain't all that matters. Not to everyone.
    it's a joke. And for the other point, haven't claimed such.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I was talking more about the cost of larger bra sizes not the fact that they help or not
    Also true. Ugh.

People say freckles are ugly, but what do freckles resemble? Stars in the sky. So surely people must think star filled skies are ugly as well? Freckles resemble a lot of things and whatever your mind perceives is 100% your idea. This is like the Laymen explanation of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

They find their ideal image of beauty to be the only thing that's beautiful because they just haven't felt anything else?
    Uh, what? Stars in the sky? More like dirt in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    We certainly know how certain traits become attractive. In many hunter-gatherer or other primitive societies, being overweight was seen as attractive because it meant that you had abundance. Long after humans first developed civilizations up to even modern day in some cultures, it became an attractive trait to be pale as that meant you did not have to work outside, but here in the West, many have come to find being darker or tan as more attractive to an event, because that must mean that person must have a lot of time for recreation.
    Yes there are evolutionary and memetic causes for attraction. But I'm more interested in the examples without those, for example why do I find some flowers beautiful when there's no genetic or cultural reason behind it. Nobody knows.

So when you responded to me you were just repeating what I was saying? Okay then...
    "Stereotyped ideas" made it sound like people like something because of a stereotype rather than it's a stereotype because people like it.

If that's not what you mean I guess I missunderstood.
    Curious what you meant by that comment if so.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-02-27 at 11:15 PM.

Also true. Ugh.
    Also the designs are generally bleh.

That sounds very poetic. I'm fairly certain you could probably find a plethora of poets that referred to the apple of their eye as having "eyes like sapphires" or "eyes like the ocean". Seeing someones flaws and insecurities as not flaws nor reasons to be insecure probably goes a long way in making someone like you, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Uh, what? Stars in the sky? More like dirt in the face.
    I take it you're not a romantic, then?

Also the designs are generally bleh.
    And never as comfy as sports bras...

because common decency used to be a thing
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

I will dont worry.

I have no intention of breeding. But forcing people I've grown up around to be sterilized given some of them would make better parents than most people have is fucking wrong. The people I dont know deserve a shot too. Can you at least backtrack on the force or coercive side of your point so I can move on instead of being reminded that people still want to do the whole eugenics thing?
    it was always an idea of "if cure is never an option"(and just a fanciful one at that, that i wouldn't even try to enact if i did ever have power, cause it'd just lead to conflict.)

never the first choice. i'm sure cures for just anything will be available eventually.

i mean, i don't see why eugenics for a greater good is a bad thing. i'd be the first one in line if i was told i needed it.

also, @Puupi is who i was referring to about the sig. couldn't remember his name.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2019-02-27 at 11:38 PM.
    https://imgur.com/FX4poT6

steve danuser - waifu cringelord

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?
    What makes you the judge of another's looks? What makes you believe they are ugly were others might not?

I don't always find models that beautiful either, but why should I call them ugly for that?
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!