Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    People still out here talking this subjectivity bullshit like there isn't a clear correlation between looks and favorable genes. Or how having unfavorable characteristics through life choices (like being unfit) is repulsive due to our very biology making it so.

Some men like women with big asses, others don't. I personally find fat asses ugly... it is all subjective, but I ain't going to speak down on someone just because; that's just pathetic.

On the otherhand, when it comes to health choices and making it as a norm I won't remain quiet about. Such as obese PlusSize being beautiful and to be proud of. Fuck that. Should we let drug users to be proud of their addictions? Thought not... it is destructive behaviour, and should not be encouraged!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-02-28 at 12:09 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i mean, i don't see why eugenics for a greater good is a bad thing. i'd be the first one in line if i was told i needed it.
    Eugenics is already working properly. Parents can abort a fetus if a disorder is found early enough.

Positive selection eugenics can't work because it requires the geneticist to pick a criteria to improve at the cost of all the other criteria.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Not really. But I dunno I do tend to keep in mind people who want people with genetic disorders sterilized.
    What I find awkward about it is that eugenics was primarily developed as a form of racial hygiene and has repeatedly been brought forward by pro-ethnostate groups for the last 100~years as a form of racial cleansing that they can try and sell as scientifically reasonable and acceptable (Note, for any racists: It very much isn't reasonable or acceptable). Yet, even while knowing this, there's no humility when people bring up eugenics as a concept, they just throw it out there as though it's an acceptable suggestion in any situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Eugenics is already working properly. Parents can abort a fetus if a disorder is found early enough.

Positive selection eugenics can't work because it requires the geneticist to pick a criteria to improve at the cost of all the other criteria.
    That's not what eugenics is. Eugenics is in regards to breeding and eliminating people with undesirable traits from the breeding pool, not parents having the ability to abort offspring with genetic defects.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    People still out here talking this subjectivity bullshit like there isn't a clear correlation between looks and favorable genes. Or how having unfavorable characteristics through life choices (like being unfit) is repulsive due to our very biology making it so.
    It's the plague of relativism. Because we don't yet know about the laws of aesthetics, some people jump to the conclusion that all things are equally beautiful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    You mean rocket science. Looks ain't all that matters. Not to everyone.
    No, he means rocket appliances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Uh, what? Stars in the sky? More like dirt in the face.
    Freckles are cute as fuck on girls, what are you on about.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusp View Post
    I take it you're not a romantic, then?
    I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

Freckles are cute as fuck on girls, what are you on about.
    Looks like there's dirt in the face.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    What I find awkward about it is that eugenics was primarily developed as a form of racial hygiene and has repeatedly been brought forward by pro-ethnostate groups for the last 100~years as a form of racial cleansing that they can try and sell as scientifically reasonable and acceptable (Note, for any racists: It very much isn't reasonable or acceptable). Yet, even while knowing this, there's no humility when people bring up eugenics as a concept, they just throw it out there as though it's an acceptable suggestion in any situation.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not what eugenics is. Eugenics is in regards to breeding and eliminating people with undesirable traits from the breeding pool, not parents having the ability to abort offspring with genetic defects.
    Depends which definition you use. Some of them don't clarify that eugenics only refers to those already born.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen someone with an aesthetically pleasing pattern of distinctly individual specks of dirt on their face. Freckles don't look anything like dirt.

Not that people without freckles are unattractive either, freckles are a complete non-game-changer for me.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP are you having self- esteem issues ?

real talk , coming here to this website to speak about it was an absolute horrible choice.

if somebody (or many people ) have called you beautiful when you think you 're not , there is an issue deeper at play here that cannot be answered as easily as "why do say ugly people are pretty "

let me ask YOU a question: do YOU do that? if not , why do you feel being brutally honest to a sensitive subject is the best course of action ?

not a well thought out post OP , not at all.

I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean that rather than seeing the beauty in freckles, you only see the negative. Hence, dirt in the face.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?
    People just like to be nice.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was born with a few conditions that made me quite ugly... I have no shame in accepting that fact, but I also don't go out of my way to call others ugly even if they are. But my wife of 8+ years insists that I don't look ugly, so I'm sure there's always perception to beauty.

Physical attraction is extremely subjective as countless others have pointed out.

10+ Year Old Account
    eye of the beholder. What you consider ugly I might see as very appealing.

though tbh this thread started in such a shallow way without even an example of the standard the op meant, so can guess thats not a deep well.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Beauty is highly subjective.

Lying is easy and benefits both parties emotionally.
    Actually physical beauty is quantifiable, and is linked to symmetry. That being said, having a kind heart and being thoughtful and selfless are much more desirable traits in a friend/mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?
    We need photographic examples here.

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    explain what is ugly.

is it someones face you find ugly? or is it because someone is fat and obese ?

in case one, its not something they can change or something they chose.

in other case, im with you! obesity is a problem and encouraging people who have it to do nothing is a bad thing.
    Beauty is subjective but it does have some common elements. Proportional and symmetry. It is possible to program a computer that will predict how attractive you are based on the researched proportions. Ugliness is how far away you are from these golden proportions and symmetry.

Pretty simple actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roxfm View Post
    I was born with a few conditions that made me quite ugly... I have no shame in accepting that fact, but I also don't go out of my way to call others ugly even if they are. But my wife of 8+ years insists that I don't look ugly, so I'm sure there's always perception to beauty.

Physical attraction is extremely subjective as countless others have pointed out.
    Science disagrees. There is some subjectivity but it is small. Not extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Actually physical beauty is quantifiable,
    But know one knows how to.

and is linked to symmetry. That being said, having a kind heart and being thoughtful and selfless are much more desirable traits in a friend/mate.
    I'm not sure if symmetry is the basis of beauty. Many things are symmetric and lack beauty. Spiders have symmetry yet are hideously disgusting. Asymmetric flowers can also be very aesthetically pleasing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you're ugly on the inside.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Because calling people ugly is proven to often have the opposite effect than a simple person who doesn't understand basic human psychology would think.

When you call someone ugly, that person usually doesn't use that as fuel to get better. They drive themselves mentally further downwards, and likely to eating or laziness or if it's purely a part of their physical features that are unsightly they'll just become even more self-conscious. They likely know that many people see them as ugly, and your input isn't valuable to them.