Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?
    You randomly walk up to people to tell them if they're ugly or beautiful? If someone asks if you think they're ugly or beautiful, sure, go ahead and give them the straight dope, but other than that, dunno what you would gain by being overtly blunt.

This is from someone who prefers straight talk btw. "Does my ass look big in jeans?", "Nah, girl, your ass IS big".
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

As a person who is ugly (and overweight, thought been trying to work on the latter), I think it's born from a place of good intention, but winds up making things feel... worse.

I mean, I know how I look. I obsess over my appearance and how I don't like how I look, so when people make comments of looking "handsome" or "beautiful", it feels like it's just reinforcing my own self-hating thoughts, because clearly *they're* aware of it.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm "okay" with being called ugly, either. Truth be told, growing up my cousins constantly beat me up and made fun of me for being "the ugly one" in the family (they're all beautiful, tanned and flawless skin, versus me, I'm a pale ginger). As I said, I dwell on my appearance constantly, and it's probably the root of most of my personal problems.

I vastly prefer being commented on choices I've made. Like, "You're dressed sharp today" or "I like your watch/shoes/whatever". I mean, I prefer compliments on how hard I work (my work-ethic is one of the few things I take some pride in), but it is what it is.

As far as the "overweight" thing, I would say making fun of people of their weight is a pretty asshole thing to do. But, encouraging people to be healthier? For sure, that's great. For example, somebody calling me "skinny" (because I'm obviously not) feels kind of patronizing, whereas if someone asks how much weight I've lost, it feels more genuine.

7+ Year Old Account
    Figured it was another moronic Natto thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Random: The girl that your avatar is based off of? Definitely not ugly. She's super freaking gorgeous.
    Yeah she's a cutie. It's an anime version of Natalia Poklonskaya. I like your avatar too though!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    @Megitsune Thank you!

OT: Long story short, some people will call unattractive people 'beautiful' to help boost their confidence and make them feel better. Human empathy stuff.

why do we make them believe they are not ugly? if they are ugly... why should we not say they are ugly?
    To not hurt their feelings.

What is gained by going around calling people ugly?

If you don't have something nice to say... keep it to your f***ing self?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Beauty is subjective but it does have some common elements. Proportional and symmetry. It is possible to program a computer that will predict how attractive you are based on the researched proportions. Ugliness is how far away you are from these golden proportions and symmetry.

Pretty simple actually.

Science disagrees. There is some subjectivity but it is small. Not extreme.
    Honest question: how does this method gauge most of the supermodels that walk up the ramp these days? I find most of them super unattractive - some even ugly. Yet there's others who find them absolutely gorgeous. How does science measure that?

No need to add to someone's burden. Life is hard as it is.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    explain what is ugly.

is it someones face you find ugly? or is it because someone is fat and obese ?

in case one, its not something they can change or something they chose.

in other case, im with you! obesity is a problem and encouraging people who have it to do nothing is a bad thing.
    yes they can. I had 150kg by first day of this year. Two months gone and I've lost 15 kg by just shutting my mouth.

It's less about calling ugly people beautiful and more not picking on them for being ugly IMO.

nobody is calling an ugly male beautiful #doublestandarts

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Well, imagine someone comes and tell you that you are retarded. Do you think that you are?
    No he's not, and he's right.

We re being nice, so we can continue with our day without conflicts.
    If some ugly random person came up to me in the street and asked me if he/she was ugly, I'd say yes.

To friends I'd say, "yes, you ugly motherfucker, don't you have a mirror, lol"
    I'm somewhat ugly, too, at least I think so. I'm not a beautiful person, like in the movies or magazines, and I'm not a narcissist to think otherwise.

I have seen a picture of you before, why wouldn't you be called ugly? You are ugly, the same as most people on the "picture of you" thread.

Humiliating weaker/uglier/stupider people without their consent is what we call bullying which we don't like because we are also protective parents, friends, family members etc, this is true as well so you better be bringing a good spirit or people will likely counter you with fists of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    But know one knows how to.

I'm not sure if symmetry is the basis of beauty. Many things are symmetric and lack beauty. Spiders have symmetry yet are hideously disgusting. Asymmetric flowers can also be very aesthetically pleasing.
    stop arguing to be right. the studies have already been done, and are easily accessible. Physical beauty in humans is linked to symmetry. your personal opinions about spiders and flowers are irrelevant. Do you want a woman who looks like Gal Gadot? or the female version of sloth from The Goonies? symmetry is beauty

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    stop arguing to be right. the studies have already been done, and are easily accessible. Physical beauty in humans is linked to symmetry. your personal opinions about spiders and flowers are irrelevant. Do you want a woman who looks like Gal Gadot? or the female version of sloth from The Goonies? symmetry is beauty
    Lol yes symmetry is certainly important in people. I'm ashamed to say I wouldnt be as attracted to my wife if her face was all goofy assymetric looking.

Still though there are many other variables in which we don't know what the objective beauty standards are.

The whole point of calling "ugly" people "beautiful" is to shine a light on the problem of such labels in the first place. No one is denying that there are certain factors that contribute, on average, to the given ideal of physical attractiveness in a society; the point is that we should strive to see beyond the physical. Strive being the operative word here, because it's a continuous and never-ending process aimed at a level of holistic appreciation of a human being that can transcends singular foci.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't seem to understand that a person you see as ugly may not be ugly to another person. Another thing....you don't go around calling people ugly, you may fuck around with the wrong person, on the wrong day and get fucked up.