1. #1

    Does mastery have a cap?

    Like the title says does mastery cap at 100%?
    Socialism is the only economic system that requires billionaires to exist.
    https://i.redditmedia.com/P8UE8DAGeB...c1ef120404fdbd
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Like the title says does mastery cap at 100%?
    No /10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    'Hardcore' raiders remind me of my two-year-old. "Yes, I put it down and I'm not playing with it anymore, but YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT MINE MINE MINE MINE!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    i find it hard to believe some random raid from BFA would draw in more players than the battleground patch in classic

  3. #3
    There is, for all specs, a point at which stacking mastery becomes less useful than adding haste or crit (as those values them multiply the value of your mastery) but i have no idea what the current "softcap" numbers are.

  4. #4
    Legendary! Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    6,303
    For Warlocks, no. There are caps for other classes (Elemental Shaman can only go up to 100% chance to proc an overload, Prot Warriors can only go up to 100% chance to block, ect), but it's unrealistic to actually hit those caps outside of the +25% mastery buff found on the Timeless Isle (Which adds a flat +25% to all masteries)

    What everyone has instead are various "soft" caps, in which its better to get more haste, crit, or rarely even versa rather than mastery.
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    For Warlocks, no. There are caps for other classes (Elemental Shaman can only go up to 100% chance to proc an overload, Prot Warriors can only go up to 100% chance to block, ect), but it's unrealistic to actually hit those caps outside of the +25% mastery buff found on the Timeless Isle (Which adds a flat +25% to all masteries)

    What everyone has instead are various "soft" caps, in which its better to get more haste, crit, or rarely even versa rather than mastery.
    Im at 114% when I use trinket.
    Socialism is the only economic system that requires billionaires to exist.
    https://i.redditmedia.com/P8UE8DAGeB...c1ef120404fdbd
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  6. #6
    Legendary! Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    6,303
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Im at 114% when I use trinket.
    Aaaand... Your point? I'm assuming you are a warlock. Warlocks have no cap - In theory, you could go into the millions of bonus damage to whatever have you.

    Whats more, different classes get different mileage from their mastery. Affliction gets a signficant boost to their DoT damage from their mastery, whereas Destro gets several smaller boosts (24% increased DoT damage last I checked for Affliction, whereas Destro gets 8% all-out boost, and up to 8% RNG boost. Dunno bout Demo cuz [email protected]#$ dat).

    So yea, the +% bonus that mastery gives people is very different depending on spec, with the specs that actually DO have a hard cap generally needing to stack unobtainable amounts of mastery to hit that cap (Protection, for instance, could have pure mastery on EVERY piece, double mastery trinkets, and would still sit at only 50% or so block chance, though they will critically block every hit). I mentioned the TI Chi-Ji buff because it actually adds a flat +25%, not a multiplicative 25%
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  7. #7
    mastery just amps ur dmg for every spec it doesnt matter if ur at 20% or 1000%, however it does diminish as others mentioned

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Aaaand... Your point?
    My point is I wanted to know if going past 100% was beneficial which others have answered already. Thanks though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tramzh View Post
    mastery just amps ur dmg for every spec it doesnt matter if ur at 20% or 1000%, however it does diminish as others mentioned
    Well if you read what others posted it doesnt diminish apparently for affliction which was my question.
    Socialism is the only economic system that requires billionaires to exist.
    https://i.redditmedia.com/P8UE8DAGeB...c1ef120404fdbd
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  9. #9
    Banned FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    17,476
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Like the title says does mastery cap at 100%?
    nope back in wod when destro wanted ABSOLUTE FUCKTONS of mastery, i had i think 147% mastery?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Well if you read what others posted it doesnt diminish apparently for affliction which was my question.
    It does diminish in a sense that the more you put in the stat and less in others the less value it will have, but if you assume perfect stat balance it doesn't matter

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    nope back in wod when destro wanted ABSOLUTE FUCKTONS of mastery, i had i think 147% mastery?
    Ill remember that the next time I'm playing WOD expac.
    Socialism is the only economic system that requires billionaires to exist.
    https://i.redditmedia.com/P8UE8DAGeB...c1ef120404fdbd
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Well if you read what others posted it doesnt diminish apparently for affliction which was my question.
    It does diminish. It is a pure math problem. Imagine 2 hypothetical scenarios:
    1. A Warlock has 100% mastery
    2. A Warlock has 50% mastery
    If you add 2% to mastery for each of them, case 1 is going to get a +2% boost to mastery damage contribution, while case 2 is going to get a +4% to mastery damage contribution. Basically, the less mastery you have, the more effective each point is. That is what causes diminishing returns. It is the reason why you have to sim your character every time you want to upgrade your gear - your stats are in a constant flux with each other. A hypothetical warlock with 10000000000% mastery will still get a benefit by adding 2% to it, but would get much more by adding a 0.1% crit or haste.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    It does diminish. It is a pure math problem. Imagine 2 hypothetical scenarios:
    1. A Warlock has 100% mastery
    2. A Warlock has 50% mastery
    If you add 2% to mastery for each of them, case 1 is going to get a +2% boost to mastery damage contribution, while case 2 is going to get a +4% to mastery damage contribution. Basically, the less mastery you have, the more effective each point is. That is what causes diminishing returns. It is the reason why you have to sim your character every time you want to upgrade your gear - your stats are in a constant flux with each other. A hypothetical warlock with 10000000000% mastery will still get a benefit by adding 2% to it, but would get much more by adding a 0.1% crit or haste.
    This is incorrect. The dps contribution in a linear system such as mastery is the same no matter how much you have. The example you’re giving only applies to systems that have a max ie haste and crit.


    Let’s suppose you do 1000 dps with no mastery.

    If you have 0% mastery you do 1000 dps adding 2% will result is 1020 dps a gain of 20 dps.

    If you have 500% mastery you do 5000 dps adding 2% will result in 5020 dps a gain of 20 dps.

    The relative difference you describe doesn’t exist. You are correct in saying that at higher mastery crit and haste gain value your reasoning is just wrong. Crit and haste become more valuable because they increase in value at higher mastery not because mastery decreases in value.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by donko View Post
    This is incorrect. The dps contribution in a linear system such as mastery is the same no matter how much you have. The example you’re giving only applies to systems that have a max ie haste and crit.


    Let’s suppose you do 1000 dps with no mastery.

    If you have 0% mastery you do 1000 dps adding 2% will result is 1020 dps a gain of 20 dps.

    If you have 500% mastery you do 5000 dps adding 2% will result in 5020 dps a gain of 20 dps.

    The relative difference you describe doesn’t exist. You are correct in saying that at higher mastery crit and haste gain value your reasoning is just wrong. Crit and haste become more valuable because they increase in value at higher mastery not because mastery decreases in value.
    Look, it is not like this is a brand new concept. My explanation is actually correct and current simulations take this simple concept into account. Mastery value does diminish, despite it having no cap. That is why at different mastery levels values for this parameter shifts constantly. You do not have to believe me, just check simulation data. All else being equal, if you decrease mastery its value goes up and vice versa. That happens not because the DPS amout for each point of mastery diminishes (as you incorrectly assumed), but because the TOTAL contribution from each consecutive point of mastery becomes smaller and smaller compared to your TOTAL damage output. Using your example:
    At 0% mastery you add 2% and do 1000=>1020 dps. That is a flat 2% gain to your damage output.
    At 500% mastery you add 2% and do 5000 =>5020 dps. That is a flat 0.4% gain to your damage output
    In essence, you had spent the same amount of points, but in the first case your gain was a significant 2%, while in the latter case it was just 0.4%. You are correct that the gain is identical in terms of actual numbers. But diminishing returns account for your overall increase in performance. And in the second case a point of mastery has only a fifth of the value from the first scenario. That is what a diminishing return is - a decrease in value as you accumulate a certain stat.

  15. #15
    Stood in the Fire meekus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweland
    Posts
    417
    To summarize:
    -No mastery cap
    -Scales linearly
    -The more you have of it, the better crit and haste becomes
    -Sim your character!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by meekus View Post
    To summarize:
    -No mastery cap
    -Scales linearly
    -The more you have of it, the better crit and haste becomes
    -Sim your character!
    This.

    Mastery has no cap and it's value does not diminish the more mastery you get. However, the more you have of one stat, the better the other stats become relatively.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •