Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Google found it was underpaying more men than women for similar jobs

In an effort to address wage equity among women and members of minority groups, Google studied its own practices as it does every year. But the results showed the company was underpaying more men than women for doing similar jobs in software engineering.

Google compensated 10,677 employees an extra $9.7 million to offset the underpaid wages found in the study, the company wrote in a blog post, though it's unclear what percentage of those recipients were men. In 2017, Google said it increased compensation for 228 employees it found were underpaid, spending a total of about $270,000.

Google's 2018 analysis found that in one group of lower-level software engineers men "received less discretionary funds than women," according to the post authored by Google's lead analyst for pay equity and people analytics, Lauren Barbato. Nearly half of the adjustment fund was spent on discrepancies in offers to new hires, Barbato wrote, which was the result of a new hire analysis Google conducted in the 2018 study.

Google outlined its methodology for the report, saying it runs statistical analysis to "look for unexplained differences in total compensation (salary, bonus, and equity) across demographic groups." Google analyzed every job group with at least 30 employees total and at least five per demographic group. The analysis included 91 percent of Google employees.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/04/goog...ge-equity.html

10+ Year Old Account
    So, when people got overwhelmed by equality treatment that you suddenly forget that the scale is tipping too much to the other side?

Why not just pay people depending on education, level of experience and years of experience? There, flatline, nothing else to be added on the list...
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

So, they went looking for wage inequality, found it, and then fixed it?
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2019-03-05 at 10:55 AM.

They were also found guilty of systemic pay discrepancies by TRUMP'S JUSTICE DEPARTMENT in 2017.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...nation/522411/

And I think there was a class action at the same time?

It was pretty hilarious that while the far right's little manifesto stunt was going on, back in the real world Google was in hot water over actual gender discrimination... the other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    So, when people got overwhelmed by equality treatment that you suddenly forget that the scale is tipping too much to the other side?

Why not just pay people depending on education, level of experience and years of experience? There, flatline, nothing else to be added on the list...
    Wasn't the "Women make 77c to mens $1" debunked many times at that? With it not only being overly large of a gap that no one could recreate, but also failing to take into account things such as mens tendency to take on more extra tasks and over time?
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    They were also found guilty of systemic pay discrepancies by TRUMP'S JUSTICE DEPARTMENT in 2017.

It was pretty hilarious that while the far right's little manifesto stunt was going on, back in the real world Google was in hot water over actual gender discrimination... the other way.
    Isn't Trump quoted saying that "Women should dress like women" and himself well known for benig discriminiatory towards women? Including in the white house? For instance his claiming the he's hired more women than any other white house, while actually having fewer women on his staff than the last three presidents?

If you're going to make this about Dems vs Republicans, then please be aware that even with the current administration, women are being shat on noticeably.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So, they went looking for wage inequality, found it, and then fixed it? Good job, Google.
    Want to hear a really funny one?

Amazon trained an AI to predict which resumes led to high performing workers (specifically, workers that went on to get a lot of promotions etc). So they fed it all their historical resume, hiring and performance data. They had to scrap the thing when they realised that the strongest predictor it found was gender.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1MK08G

They tried to stop the AI from selecting on gender lines, so it went with the next highest predictors: which were all proxies for gender. Eg, which college did they attend (downrank anyone who went to all-girls' colleges), or what kind of language patterns they use (it searched for language patterns favoured by women).

Basically the AI proved that the dataset they trained the AI on (ie, their company's history of hires and promotions) was riddled with systemic gender bias.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Good one. I know that in our company they look for education level and experience so that they can use it as another reason to pay you less.
    Lmao, what? You should quit then because they're retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    If you're going to make this about Dems vs Republicans, then please be aware that even with the current administration, women are being shat on noticeably.
    I wasn't, I was just incidentally pointing out the irony that the Justice Department happened to be in Republican hands at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't the "Women make 77c to mens $1" debunked many times at that? With it not only being overly large of a gap that no one could recreate, but also failing to take into account things such as mens tendency to take on more extra tasks and over time?
    It was debunked but some didn't believe it, was even proven that some were paid more than the male counterpart.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Good one. I know that in our company they look for education level and experience so that they can use it as another reason to pay you less.
    Wage should only rely on your education and experience. If you are paid less may be due to less experience.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

That's kind of funny and sad at the same time.

They completely ignored when it was wage inequality against women, but when it's against men it's an outrage.

This is not surprising: the wage gap is a flat out lie. So when morons try to fix a non-existent wage gap, they obtain the opposite result: women are paid more than their male counterparts, because reasons.

What is actually funny, is that the wage gap could actually become real (and it has become at some places apparently, it don't have proofs so i'll treat that as rumors) if things continue like this.

And meanwhile, nobody is thinking that maybe, in fact, it is not women who are paid less than men, but men who are not paid enough.

What really surprises me is that there are still men working at Google. I thought they already fired all of them for the sake of quotas and diversity.

I guess now we're going to stop accusing them of hypocrisy when they talk about wage equality, now that they've demonstrated they want to maintain it regardless of the gender of the employee, right? Right?

pfft, who am I kidding? Of course not.

More men were underpaid than women. Not hard when your engineers are 80% male.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2019-03-05 at 04:44 PM.

For my work i see hundreds if not thousands of payslips a year ranging from construction to accountant to factory to doktors. The wage gap, if its even present, is mainly existend because men are better negotiators. In 50% of the cases there are union loan structures based on function and years of experience that predetermine your salary.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are these "discretionary funds"?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was not debunked, we just shifted the conversation to why it's happening instead of "women are literally paid less". There is absolutely an earnings gap that has to do with child care and education, among other things. It's been found repeatedly that men are more able to take more overtime opportunities because they don't have to go home and cook dinner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Because performance and productivity are also important.
    I talked flatline, performance, productivity and results are what you apply on after.

F**k Google either way