Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Race change discounts coinciding with Zandalari release

Anyone else feel like the timing of these race change discounts is far too convenient?

It seems like a ploy to try and boost Q1 2019 revenue after a tumultuous quarter by luring people into subscribing to take advantage of the racial discounts with the release of Zandalari Trolls and Kul'Tiran Humans.

Do you think this strategy will be effective?

Two new Allied Races—the Kul Tiran humans and Zandalari trolls—join the Battle for Azeroth on March 12. If you’re ready to recruit them and have been thinking about using one of our optional character services to play one, for a limited time we’re making it a little easier for you to make the change. Starting today, you can save 30% on a Race Change, Faction Change, and Character Transfer—simply head to the World of Warcraft in-game shop from now through March 31, 2019 to get started.
    They secretly plot behind our back to get our money!
    Can't wait to read why this is another reason Blizzard-Activision is a bad company

Lowered by 30%. Oh boy £13 to race change......

Meanwhile in FF14 I can change my Race and Appearance for £5.85.

Yeah they definitely timed it because they know people will be throwing money at them for race changes come the 12th. It's no coincidence.

Just further proves what a scummy system the Allied Races are. 30% is a pitiful amount to discount by as well. They've lowered it by just enough that it will entice people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    They secretly plot behind our back to get our money!
    Can't wait to read why this is another reason Blizzard-Activision is a bad company
    I mean it is a reason. They know exactly what they are doing with this.

Lower the cost by a piddly amount just before 2 new long awaited races come out to entice people into race changing. Whether you choose to believe it or not doesn't change the fact that the timing is not a coincidence.

There is no grand conspiracy here, its obviously to entice people into race changing into the new allied races.

I am not gonna pretend to be mad about this, I couldn't give less of a shit how they make their money, their services are overpriced which is why I don't use them. That and the fact that I do want the heritage armor.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2019-03-11 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Lowered by 30%. Oh boy £13 to race change......

Meanwhile in FF14 I can change my Race and Appearance for £5.85.

Yeah they definitely timed it because they know people will be throwing money at them for race changes come the 12th. It's no coincidence.

Just further proves what a scummy system the Allied Races are. 30% is a pitiful amount to discount by as well. They've lowered it by just enough that it will entice people.

- - - Updated - - -

Lower the cost by a piddly amount just before 2 new long awaited races come out to entice people into race changing. Whether you choose to believe it or not doesn't change the fact that the timing is not a coincidence.
    They also get $15 for players subscribing when they otherwise wouldn't, so they end up more than recovering the "loss" from a reduced race change price. Not that there is really a cost for them offering these services. Whereas if they focused on quality content, players would stick around longer and be more inclined to pay for these premium services.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    There is no grand conspiracy here, its obviously to entice people into race changing into the new allied races.
    Exactly. I mean the system is already scummy enough it was kinda obvious they'd try and entice people into it with the allied races they've kept people waiting for.

Just Blizzard reaching it's usual EA levels of cash grabbing really.

A business wanting to encourage customers to buy their services? Ludicrous, I say!

Blizz are gonna make so much bank from people race/faction changing to Zandalari.

I think they're also counting on some people wanting to bring all their characters on a single server.
    I mean, obviously I'm not talking about race change, but server transfer - still, I think the purpose of discounts for both is the same

this company should be ashamed of themselves now,this goes beyond a company making money,i know there have to pay the bills but for christ sake make a more intresting game and that will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Blizz are gonna make so much bank from people race/faction changing to Zandalari.
    Yep and they'll say as per usual "MOST PROFITABLE QUARTER EVER" and then fire some more people.

Seriously these days the bulk of their profits has to be from services/mtx rather than a single months worth of subs.

15+ Year Old Account
    One of the main features of the expansion is sort of a paid DLC.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I like that they're not even trying to hide their shady business practices anymore. Not interested in race changing myself but I could see this bringing in lots of profits for Blizzard, considering that the leveling experience is painfully dull enough for them to rather skip with their wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    One of the main features of the expansion is sort of a paid DLC.
    I mean at least MMOs that sell DLC aka ESO are upfront about it.

Blizzard just hide it behind an ingame grind and pretend people will actually level. This is shit I'd expect from F2P games like Rift. Not a sub based MMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I like that they're not even trying to hide their shady business practices anymore. Not interested in race changing myself but I could see this bringing in lots of profits for Blizzard, considering that the leveling experience is painfully dull enough for them to rather skip with their wallets.
    Funny thing is Dreadwake subs are almost up.

Probably means another 6 month mount this month or April.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-03-11 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    this company should be ashamed of themselves now,this goes beyond a company making money,i know there have to pay the bills but for christ sake make a more intresting game and that will take care of itself.
    Lets not pretend other companies wouldn't do the same, while Blizzards services are quite a fair bit more expensive than other companies I do not for a second believe any corporation wouldn't jump at the opportunity to make even more money. In the corporate world there is no such thing as enough or too much money, as sad as that may be.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So how is this a shady business practice or a bad thing? If you're going to race change to Zandalari or Kul Tiran you're going to do it regardless, might as well be cheaper. Or do you think a huge amount of people that weren't suddenly are because it's 30% off? This really isn't printing money.

Also good to see the Dreadwake conspiracy theory is still going strong even though that promotion was datamined months before it happened.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Lets not pretend other companies wouldn't do the same, while Blizzards services are quite a fair bit more expensive than other companies I do not for a second believe any corporation wouldn't jump at the opportunity to make even more money. In the corporate world there is no such thing as enough or too much money, as sad as that may be.
    Last I remember Square Enix offer a free Fantasia ingame once you complete the level 50 2.0 MSQ to race change with.

And each expansions CE bar Stormblood has one. Which is a £15 upgrade digitally and nets you other goodies like mounts, glamours and minions. And hell race/appearance changes are £5.

ESO literally just gave out 3 free race change tokens after a recent update made drastic changes to racials.

Other companies do try and make profits yes. But they have better ways of going about it and throw out more consumer friendly stuff.

Yes. And they literally tell us why they are doing this.

Anyone who hates blizzard for this should leave the game behind immediately.
    The next Post probably shits on blizzard for releasing yet another content patch just to keep us playing and robbing our money.

The premise of the op wanted you to bite the bait and most of the ones here jumped in. The ones who just keep luring around to hate the game are annoying as hell.

Last I remember Square Enix offer a free Fantasia ingame once you complete the level 50 2.0 MSQ to race change with.

And each expansions CE bar Stormblood has one. Which is a £15 upgrade digitally and nets you other goodies like mounts, glamours and minions. And hell race/appearance changes are £5.

ESO literally just gave out 3 free race change tokens after a recent update made drastic changes to racials.

Other companies do try and make profits yes. But they have better ways of going about it and throw out more consumer friendly stuff.
    Sure Blizzard's marketing ploys are arguably less consumer friendly than their competitors but it just irks me whenever people try to spin it as Blizzard being the only ones to ever throw out discounts to encourage people to buy them. If putting something on discount to coincide with updates to a game is considered shady business then it isn't only Blizzard who is guilty of shady business practice, it would be pretty much every single company who've ever developed and maintained an MMO.