Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Depends what you mean with ganking.

World pvp between same level/gear/numbers power? Yes, absolutely.
    World pvp between high levels and low level characters? Absolutely NOT!
    Why?

No, ganking is ganking, there is no "what you mean by", it doesn't discriminate on players based on their gear, level, class, AFK status or whatever.
    Level 1 poking to death a level 60 rogue who was sitting AFK in stealth and got bumped in is the same as level 60 killing level 1 after tricking him into tagging himself in pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Why?

No, ganking is ganking, there is no "what you mean by", it doesn't discriminate on players based on their gear, level, class, AFK status or whatever.
    Level 1 poking to death a level 60 rogue who was sitting AFK in stealth and got bumped in is the same as level 60 killing level 1 after tricking him into tagging himself in pvp.
    A number of zones doesn’t require pvp tagging, a lot of zones past lvl 30 are contested zones, meaning everyone can attack the opposing faction.

Ganking specifically means killing someone with an unfair advantage, such as numbers (player), levels or power. 5 lvl 35-40 vs another group of 5 35-40 players can be good fun. But when a group of 40+ lvl 60s camp Stranglethorn Vale that’s just ruining all the fun...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Leveling was pretty much the whole game for me. I didn't raid in Classic (aside from the occasional pug that downed Onyxia, maybe downed 1-2 bosses in MC, etc), so endgame for me consisted of running level 60 dungeons and collecting all the best gear (short of raid gear) that I could get my hands on. So really, most of my favorite Classic WoW memories involve things that happened below level 60. As a very casual player (juggling college and a job), I remember taking months to reach 60.

I think my biggest regret (and something that I would've done different if I could warn myself) was rolling on a PvP server. I understood the "you can kill and be killed by other players" warning that the game itself gave, but I didn't have it in my head that ganking would happen as frequently as it did or get to the point where the "exit game" button was my only option. By the time I'd been playing long enough to realize that (which was right around the time I got to STV), I just stuck with it because I'd already made friends on that server and didn't want to ditch them.

Of course that's not a problem in live WoW these days because I can just keep Warmode disabled (and I've just been grouping with people on PvE servers for stuff like world quests since cross-realm grouping has been a thing). But I'll definitely be playing on a PvE realm for Classic this time.

edit: that all said, I won't be surprised if I unintentionally burn through things a lot faster than I did my first go, just because I remember where to go and what to do for most of the quests. Not to mention I understand the game in general a lot better than I did 14 years ago (so I know not to waste gold on shit like statless armor from vendors or useless skills from class trainers, I don't click/keyboard turn anymore, etc). The "difficulty" is going to at least be cut in half for me this time, I think.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-04-20 at 12:48 AM.

Neets will be breezing through the leveling quicker than those with less playtime, thus keeping casual players suspended in fantasy world for longer. Like it or not, leveling is one of the core pillars in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    No need to warn anyone. Millennials won't play it anyway because Classic is the opposite of instant gratification. And most people who are interested in classic have already played it.
    You need to stop using terms when you have no idea what they mean.

Millennials are people born between 1980 and 2000. I doubt most people here are born outside of that range, so we're all millennials here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Not really no, most group quests aren't worth doing because it's faster to just skip them in terms of gaining XP. Grouping up just made leveling slower. This changed a bit in BC with lucrative quests like Ring of Blood, but in Vanilla it was faster to solo quest and grind.
    A lot of those are worth doing, because they offer significant gear upgrades. Unless you're running a lot of dungeons, which is also a big time investment, you're going to be running around in greens. And if you skip group quests as well you'll be running around in shit gear. You can buy shit off the AH, but you need to save gold for your mount.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    If you were clueless perhaps. Nowadays we have wowhead and addons that will make leveling alot easier and faster.
    Your addons won't work on day 1, and back in the day we had Thottbot as well. Do you honestly think everyone just knew where every quest was? We looked up shit all the time.

Levelling still takes a long ass time. Unless you're absolutely min maxing and have a specific route planned out, you're not going to get ahead of the curve and you'll be competing with many many people for quest items and mobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NtflxnChill View Post
    I mean if you have played/followed any private server you'd know that leveling hardly takes anytime these days in vanilla and even less when people reach lvl60 and start boosting for gold.
    What gold lol? How the fuck a low level gonna pay for a lvl 60 to boost them? It's hard enough to scrape gold together at low lvls as it is, and whatever you can get you need to save for your mount. Dunno what the fuck you're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    It's going to be hilariously fun to see the culture shock whenever someone with a modern-WoW mentality jumps into Classic.

They'll either drop the Live mentality of have-to-get-a-level-every-20-minutes-or-don't-bother or they won't reach 60, simple as that.
    Thing is, it doesn't matter what the instant gratification crowd wants. If Classic and leveling is too inconveeeeenient they can keep playing BFA and getting things thrown at them for no effort.

There's a reason the "ding! -gz!" thing died out, for one thing. Leveling up actually felt like a little feat, and you were rewarded with more unlocked quests, a talent point, more skill levels to get, maybe some item you've received is now usable (and it's an item you really want to use because mobs has been smacking you senseless the last 2 levels). More modern WoW leveling may have "better design" for leveling and yet it's completely dull and soulless. I suppose being stuck in Godmode isn't actually fun for the entire way 1-120, who knew.

Getting to level 30 in classic probably feels more like a feat than hitting 120 nowadays. And hell of a lot more like an RPG experience. I suppose a lot of people will get some kind of culture shock when they realize that *gasp*, they can't randomly mash buttons, watching youtube and still ending up with 98% health remaining after killing a mob. And that it's worth side-leveling professions because you can generally keep them close to an appropriate skill level, since every level is slower overall.

People who are acting all smug about the Classic leveling experience seem to be the kind of player who has only experienced the ultra-fast-ARPG style of leveling we have now, they've gotten the idea that WoW classic leveling is just the same but 10x slower overall or something. They can't be more wrong, and I can't wait to see all the players who've repeated for years that "it was slow and tedious, not hard" get killed over and over by overpulling mobs they are used to two-shotting without a care in the world.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    A lot of those are worth doing, because they offer significant gear upgrades. Unless you're running a lot of dungeons, which is also a big time investment, you're going to be running around in greens. And if you skip group quests as well you'll be running around in shit gear. You can buy shit off the AH, but you need to save gold for your mount.
    You have to remember that quest rewards were fixed and quite often you'll sit there, picking between agi bow and an axe as a mage. So yeah, group quests aren't always worth doing right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Lvling wasnt a big part, it was awesome because you explored the world for the very first time, checking out locations from War3 etc. But at the end it was the longest grind that introduced you to “end game”

Raids were a big part for me, 40 ppl trying to kill 1 boss, that was epic and gave you best gear possible, not like 5 man mythics today...

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You have to remember that quest rewards were fixed and quite often you'll sit there, picking between agi bow and an axe as a mage. So yeah, group quests aren't always worth doing right away.
    Obviously, but you can also look up quest rewards and see what quests come with it. Then you know what to prioritize.