Poll: Release sub numbers of classic eventually?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Wait, WHAT? 'It's a passion project'? You cant really be serious. They are doing it for ONE reason and ONE reason only. Because they believe they can make a substantial profit at it. That is the ONLY reason.
    Ofcourse its a passion project.
    I just told you the only way it makes A CENT is if Blizzard gets a new subscriber...THAT IS NOT ALREADY SUBSCRIBED.
    It needs to get new people that are not playing BFA.
    That alone makes it a passion project.
    More
    There isnt Tokens in classic
    There isnt a shop
    There isnt allied races for race transfers
    There is nothing, ZERO monetization.

You cant even shut up, what makes you think EVERYone will shut up? You are acting like a toddler in the candy aisle at the store when your parent says 'No, you cant have the candy'.

It might shut YOU up, but YOU aren't everyone. And the fact is those numbers are none of your business.

You are arguing with facts, and you show zero sign of shutting up.
    I can shut up if you want.
    I just think its impolite to not reply to people...im literally just replying to everyone :S

You aren't going to survive in classic endgame.
    Probably not we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    My theory:
    They will give us some kind of metric to put an end to the discussion.

How will the metric be? I dont know

They will NOT release Retail numbers. Thats a given

But they need to give us a metric to see how many people login in classic....they have to.

(see you in a few months det!)
    No they don't have to?!

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    number of MAU'S don't matter its the value per MAU.
    At current sub price even if wow pulled all 12 mil players back it still wouldn't be worth it over making a new ip just on subprices alone.

The game is heavily dependant on expansion releases and micro transactions, wow tokens to pump the value per MUA.

2 years of 12 mil subs is a little over half the money blacks ops made in 3days.
    Yea... no...

This would hold true if the expansion itself was free, which it isnt. The MAU is on top of the box price, which makes it, even without microtransactions, a significant revenue stream.

If you’re just referring to what vanilla MAU’s are worth, what’s important is their ROI. Yes, other IP’s get higher returns, but they also require a much, MUCH higher investment. All this cost was a small team for a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    No they don't have to?!
    Ofcourse they dont have to.

My stupid me just believes Blizzard is human and will honor the code of the endless debate and put an end to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Yea... no...

This would hold true if the expansion itself was free, which it isnt. The MAU is on top of the box price, which makes it, even without microtransactions, a significant revenue stream.

If you’re just referring to what vanilla MAU’s are worth, what’s important is their ROI. Yes, other IP’s get higher returns, but they also require a much, MUCH higher investment. All this cost was a small team for a year or two.
    What I'm saying is vanilla MAU's are worth significantly less than MAU's in other blizz games. And that the value of the MAU is more important than the amount.

12 million players at $15 a month is small change nowadays. That's 360mil over 2 years, Bliz dev cost total in the company was 315mil for 3 months.

Expansion releases, new ip releases and microtransaction sales are the big generator, and classic has non of that. Worse every MAU classic takes from the main game or other games is a MAU less being advertised to to spend more.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    If it does exceptional I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility, but keep in mind we are talking about it doing extremely well and it being sustained.
    If it does extremely well then they're going to release TBC and Wrath servers, not come up with wholly original and divergent content for a game that's fifteen years old.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    If it does extremely well then they're going to release TBC and Wrath servers, not come up with wholly original and divergent content for a game that's fifteen years old.
    Dunno, if Blizzard thinks they can make money from it I never put anything past them. I mean if we are going with the whole " fifteen year old thing " the current retail game is the same age and basically all expansions are divergent content for a 15 year old game.

Besides the game is now on the new infrastructure, the only thing old is the data and the design ideas. Internally it's no different than the current game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Dunno, if Blizzard thinks they can make money from it I never put anything past them. I mean if we are going with the whole " fifteen year old thing " the current retail game is the same age and basically all expansions are divergent content for a 15 year old game.

Besides the game is now on the new infrastructure, the only thing old is the data and the design ideas. Internally it's no different than the current game.
    Yes, but at that point they'd be making two separate expansions for what are effectively two separate games. That means double the dev, concept, art, music, etc. teams. More time needed for testing, more time needed for bug fixing, and so on and so on. Unless they (in Maudib's crazy world) decided to stop making more games for Retail, it would be a MASSIVE sink in resources and time.

Im sure we will know day 2 when blizzard apologizes for the login issues with something like "The turnout for WoW classic launch was way higher than we expected, we will be rolling out new servers tomorrow"

Yes, but at that point they'd be making two separate expansions for what are effectively two separate games. That means double the dev, concept, art, music, etc. teams. More time needed for testing, more time needed for bug fixing, and so on and so on. Unless they (in Maudib's crazy world) decided to stop making more games for Retail, it would be a MASSIVE sink in resources and time.
    Thing is with Classic most people arent talking about full blown expansions being added, so you could just do a few things here and there that use the old assets.

Besides they are two different games, but so is Diablo and Hearthstone and that doesn't stop them from updating those just because they are updating WoW.

I'm not saying it's likely, but it is possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Thing is with Classic most people arent talking about full blown expansions being added, so you could just do a few things here and there that use the old assets.

Besides they are two different games, but so is Diablo and Hearthstone and that doesn't stop them from updating those just because they are updating WoW.

I'm not saying it's likely, but it is possible.
    Yeah, but they didn't ever start this with the plan to add new content, beyond possibly other expansions. It was meant to be a museum piece that, at best, they have people doing bug fixes and keeping an eye out for exploits and such.

Yeah, but they didn't ever start this with the plan to add new content, beyond possibly other expansions. It was meant to be a museum piece that, at best, they have people doing bug fixes and keeping an eye out for exploits and such.
    They didn't start WoW with the plan that it would have 12 million players and still be a relevant game in 15 years either. Plans often can and do change.

Those would be the flat earthers of the community. Made fun of and ridiculed with stone cold facts.
    You cannot argue against facts.
    You are new to the internet aren't you?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guarantee you Blizzard will not do that because they are afraid of its consequences.
    Would it be possible to bury this stupid and incorrect idea that Blizzard is "afraid" of anything? It's just dumb. Even if Classic does great...millions even, it just fattens up their revenue and bank account. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they're going to report anything. This forum fantasy that Blizzard is afraid or terrified of their customers is juvenile.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Blizzard will never release sub numbers again for anything. Nothing good ever came of it.
    True. Swings in users just encourages speculation that they're doing something right or wrong when it could be something completely different. Stopping reporting subscriptions was smart and the only wrong thing about it was that they didn't stop it years ago. What goes up absolutely will come down.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    activison would never release something like that, since they already plan to suck idiot loyalists dry by services
    they already introduced the f8cking change of shredding in starting zones, i won't be surprised if u can buy/sell tokens in vanilla servers and instant boost
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Would it be possible to bury this stupid and incorrect idea that Blizzard is "afraid" of anything? It's just dumb. Even if Classic does great...millions even, it just fattens up their revenue and bank account. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not they're going to report anything. This forum fantasy that Blizzard is afraid or terrified of their customers is juvenile.
    Making Classic F2P would be simple stupidity. That was what i was discussing.

What would be the benefits of making Classic F2P for Blizzard business wise?
    Lose subscriptions? Is the only possible result.
    Since Classic is not monetized in any way.

Yes, but only if they are meeting their expectations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if it miraculously topped their previous record subs, but I doubt it.

I'd say there are 2 scenarios they would release them:
    - Classic is a success (something to boast about)
    - It is something specific that stakeholders ask for in a stakeholders meeting

My theory:
    They will give us some kind of metric to put an end to the discussion.

How will the metric be? I dont know

They will NOT release Retail numbers. Thats a given

But they need to give us a metric to see how many people login in classic....they have to.

(see you in a few months det!)

They aren't going to do this. And I think its a good thing. Im not sure why we would want Activision looking at the Classic project in terms of money making anyway. Let this project stay a small asterisk on the financials. We start begging for comparisons and we might mess around and get the wrong kind of attention.