View Poll Results: Release sub numbers of classic eventually?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, eventually

24 13.71%
  • No, never

151 86.29%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I'm just asking you for a reason why Blizzard would go out of their way to announce any kind of failure at all.

Let's take a look at that boardroom meeting:

Executive: Classic WoW isn't doing as well as we expected.
    CEO: Well, that sucks. What do we do about it?
    Executive: Go on the forums and tell everyone.
    CEO: You're fired. Does anyone have an idea that won't have the shareholders asking for my resignation?
    1)It will not fail that bad. There is at least 1 million nerds like myself out there. I believe!
    2)Classic will not be a money maker.
    Its a passion project.

The one and only way it will make A CENT is if NEW people subscribe.
    People that are not playing BfA at all.

The only measure of its success is increased MAU's of the quarter/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    LOL, you believe Classic will overtake retail? Thats really generous of you! I dont believe it.

But i just told you the reason why they would want to IF the subs are just normal.
    You think it's in Blizzards interest to tell the community "told ya so"? Because that's about the dumbest thing I heard today, and I watched a Trump interview.

If MAU for classic is below expectations, they'll just keep calling it a passion project. If its above expectation, they'll pat their development team on the back and tell stakeholders the total number of wow MAU's are up. They have zero "need" to tell the playerbase about how classic is doing.

They COULD decide to tell us something about it, perhaps to share a success. They are in no way "forced to do so".

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    You think it's in Blizzards interest to tell the community "told ya so"? Because that's about the dumbest thing I heard today, and I watched a Trump interview.
    Ive seen dumber things said in blue posts

1)It will not fail that bad. There is at least 1 million nerds like myself out there. I believe!
    Its a passion project.

First off, I've never said Classic was going to fail...you did. I was just running with your prediction of Classic being somewhat of a failure.

Yes, the only way Classic makes money is if it gets people to subscribe that aren't currently subscribed. No one is disputing that.

The question is why should they feel a need to specifically point out how well or how poorly Classic is doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

Let's say your prediction is right and Classic "fails"...why would Blizzard want to go out of their way to advertise that? That's like saying they took a bunch of money and flushed it down the toilet.
    Well.
    A. It failed befor it started in a buissness sense as even if it got 12mik players it can't generate the revenue that you would get releasing a new AAA ip or even a fortnite Clone in today's money.
    B. Its not ment to succeed, its a passion project by a very small team with little support company wide, hence "no major releases in 2019.

They won't release subs or data on it simply because they don't care and its an insignificant game in there roster. Like the wc3 re release.
    Classic WoW, is just Brexit. Bunch of dudes missing the glory of the past, all with vastly different opinions of how to get there, but ultimately heading for a World of Disappointment.

First off, I've never said Classic was going to fail...you did. I was just running with your prediction of Classic being somewhat of a failure.

Yes, the only way Classic makes money is if it gets people to subscribe that aren't currently subscribed. No one is disputing that.

The question is why should they feel a need to specifically point out how well or how poorly Classic is doing?
    Like monster hunter said.
    Its an insignificant project. No harm in tell us details (if it doesnt overtake retail...which it wont)
    In the name of Science...we need this numbers...which is pitiful...but cmon...everyone is expecting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post

If MAU for classic is below expectations, they'll just keep calling it a passion project. If its above expectation, they'll pat their development team on the back and tell stakeholders the total number of wow MAU's are up. They have zero "need" to tell the playerbase about how classic is doing.

They COULD decide to tell us something about it, perhaps to share a success. They are in no way "forced to do so".
    number of MAU'S don't matter its the value per MAU.
    At current sub price even if wow pulled all 12 mil players back it still wouldn't be worth it over making a new ip just on subprices alone.

The game is heavily dependant on expansion releases and micro transactions, wow tokens to pump the value per MUA.

2 years of 12 mil subs is a little over half the money blacks ops made in 3days.
    Classic WoW, is just Brexit. Bunch of dudes missing the glory of the past, all with vastly different opinions of how to get there, but ultimately heading for a World of Disappointment.

But "they have to" imo

because the release of classic WoW is actually something of a "Prophecy" level.
    This is a huge thing being discussed for ages....years on the forums and in the community in general.

This is a thing of legend proportions. This is stuff written in legends.

Science needs this numbers.
    dude calm down ...

Like monster hunter said.
    Its an insignificant project. No harm in tell us details (if it doesnt overtake retail...which it wont)
    In the name of Science...we need this numbers...which is pitiful...but cmon...everyone is expecting this.
    Did you actually read what Monster hunter said?

They won't release subs or data on it
    The only argument you are making is why you want the numbers...not why Blizzard "has to" give you those numbers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Well.
    A. It failed befor it started in a buissness sense as even if it got 12mik players it can't generate the revenue that you would get releasing a new AAA ip or even a fortnite Clone in today's money.
    B. Its not ment to succeed, its a passion project by a very small team with little support company wide, hence "no major releases in 2019.

They won't release subs or data on it simply because they don't care and its an insignificant game in there roster. Like the wc3 re release.
    That's my point though...there literally is no point in Blizzard releasing that data.

I don't actually believe Classic will be a "failure"...I think it will succeed in doing exactly what it's intended to do. It's a show of goodwill to the Classic Community and it will bring in those people that currently aren't subbed at all. It's not going to be a huge game changer profit wise...but it'll pay for itself. I suspect that there will be a line somewhere on the quarterly reports to the shareholders about Classic WoW server activity...but nothing too specific.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-03-15 at 11:26 AM.

Its a passion project.

It's an opportunity to make a lot of money, that's exactly the reason why Blizzard is doing this, it's good business and there's nothing bad about it. There has been huge demand for it, and Blizzard decided to provide after they realized that it's worth. Also, since there (most likely I hope) won't be WoW tokens, players playing exclusively Classic will have to pay subscription, so on this end it's safe to say that subscription wise it will make more money than retail in first few months and then it will become steady stream of money for a game which won't need further development after they release all Classic content. It is a money maker, let's not pretend it's not, Activision Blizzard is still a business and it's essential for them to make profit (again, there's nothing wrong about that).

Did you actually read what Monster hunter said?

The only argument you are making is why you want the numbers...not why Blizzard "has to" give you those numbers

- - - Updated - - -

That's my point though...there literally is no point in Blizzard releasing that data.
    Look.
    In my pitiful of a brain...this project is of legendary status. Stuff wrtten in legends.
    Im totally biased and mentally insane, so there is that.

I think Blizzard is human and will release the data because of the endless discussion this crap Retail VS Classic has caused over the years.
    We all gather around the round table everyday and discuss this crap...everyday.
    Look at WoW frontpage.
    Is all people discussing this crap Retail VS Classic

This needs to stop.

Blizzard is human

IMO they will tell us something
    Last edited by Togabito; 2019-03-15 at 11:40 AM.

Since there is no seperate Sub for Classic this would make no sense.

Look.
    In my pitiful of a brain...this project is of legendary status. Stuff wrtten in legends.
    Im totally biased and mentally insane, so there is that.

I think Blizzard is human and will release the data because of the endless discussion this shit Retail VS Classic has caused over the years.
    We all gather around the round table everyday and discuss this crap...everyday.
    Look at WoW frontpage.
    Is all people discussing this crap Retail VS Classic

This needs to stop.

Blizzard is human

IMO they will tell us something
    Releasing the numbers is not going to stop the Retail vs Classic debate. At best, it won't change anything...at worst it will just inflame the arguments further.

Releasing the numbers is not going to stop the Retail vs Classic debate.
    Yes it will.

It will be the end of the discussion IF Blizzard releases a number showing us:
    "See? Classic is just a niche community. Retail is where the fun is at"

People will shut up

Classic is not better than retail

There wont be TBC servers

There wont be Wrath Servers

THE END

Forever
    Last edited by Togabito; 2019-03-15 at 11:58 AM.

Probably not. And they DON'T have to.
    Same sub for both means they'll have to post how many are active to both, and how many are active to only to classic and only to retail. Regardless of whether they post them or not, no side will shut up.
    And lastly there's no way classic will be even close to retail, or if by some miracle it gets to 50% it won't be for more than a few months. Better or not it will still be the same content forever which (even if you don't admit it now) people will get bored with.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

Yes it will.

It will be the end of the discussion IF Blizzard releases a number showing us:
    "See? Classic is just a niche community. Retail is where the fun is at"

People will shut up
    I guess you're actually new. Back when they're releasing sub numbers, it stopped literally no one from saying that wow was dying if numbers were lower than expected, or that blizz were lying bastards who tempered w/ numbers and so on. Blizz know it, the community knows it. There's no reason for anyone to say anything.

Moreover, nowadays companies use different metrics and stats. Sub numbers are irrelevant in 2019 for the most part.

And Blizz are perfectly capable of ignoring the community for years w/o any issues whatsoever.
    Last edited by ls-; 2019-03-15 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    I don't think they like to release sub numbers anymore, because the media likes picking up on it, and it's bad press for the game when the sub numbers suffer a huge dip.
    Wrong. The industry has shifted to MAUs as a metric. Active players are more important that people subbed.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    I guess you're actually new. Back when they're releasing sub numbers, it stopped literally no one from saying that wow was dying if numbers were lower than expected, or that blizz were lying bastards who tempered w/ numbers and so on. Blizz know it, the community knows it. There's no reason for anyone to say anything.

And Blizz are perfectly capable of ignoring the community for years w/o any issues whatsoever.
    Put yourself in my shoes.
    A person who wants to see Classic overtake Retail.

Now tell me, what can i say if Blizzard releases numbers showing "we" are just a niche community.

This is me at that time:

Put yourself in my shoes.
    A person who wants to see Classic overtake Retail.

Now tell me, what can i say if Blizzard releases numbers showing "we" are just a niche community.

This is me at that time:
    Uh-huh, yeah, that's not gonna happen. People will just start blaming Blizz for making it sub-based in 2019, for poor marketing, for whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    Uh-huh, yeah, that's not gonna happen. People will just start blaming Blizz for making it sub-based in 2019, for poor marketing, for whatever.
    Those would be the flat earthers of the community. Made fun of and ridiculed with stone cold facts.
    You cannot argue against facts.