Thread: New Laptop

New Laptop

Hello All,

It has been a long while since I have purchased a laptop. I currently have a desktop that I use for all my major needs (gaming).

I am looking to purchase a laptop that would be used for the following:

- Occasional internet browsing / casual use
    - Video editing (nothing major, just uploading clips from basketball games and editing the film to show to my team)
    - Saving edited games on the laptop

I understand storage may be an issue, I'm not really sure what laptops come with these days for storage. I could look at getting an external hard drive.

I would probably not want to spend anymore then $600.00 and would be purchasing instore from Canada or could purchase online.

10+ Year Old Account
    We talking 600 Canadian dollars? Go to your nearest store and check which models they have on sale, and buy something with a dedicated GPU (Nvidia or AMD Radeon), and then an external hard drive.

Even 600 USD is very little for a laptop that can be used for video editing, even light stuff, and wanting to do it with Canadian dollars is gambling on the idea that there's a good sale.

Even just editing videos as in just cutting clips is a big task for a laptop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Even just editing videos as in just cutting clips is a big task for a laptop?
    Yeah, it requires a fair amount of computation to do the rendering afterwards. If you're fine with it being tedious to do and taking ages to render, just find something on sale with a dedicated GPU. If you'd prefer something that doesn't take ages, save up a bit more money, even 8-900 CAD (6-700 USD) can get you a decent laptop on sale

Not gonna find anything for $600CAD for gaming. $900 would be the minimum.

If you wanna find something for 600 the you’re gonna have to go to craigslist and find something used from 5-8 years ago, if ya want something decent.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-ni...?skuId=6301650
    Best I could find at 600USD

$600 is really nothing for a laptop. You won't get much for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    This is the best option I could find, and it's in US dollars AND above your price range $669US.. I just can't find anything that's any GOOD for 600 CA sorry

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834235092

ASUS FX504GD-NH51 15.6" IPS FHD GeForce GTX 1050 Quad Core i5-8300H 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-bit Gaming Laptop -- ONLY @ NEWEGG

$799.00
    $669.00
    Sale Ends in 3 Days (Wed)
    Save: $130.00 (16%)

- - - Updated - - -

I use a unit identical to this and run games well - BUT - with that said.. I HIGHLY recommend a HIGHER END unit around 900-1200 U$D if you want to run games on High, and 1600-2000 if you want a laptop running games on ULTRA

10+ Year Old Account
    Not great, but shouldn't be too terrible for light video editing and some gaming at lower settings: Acer Aspire E 15.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Not great, but shouldn't be too terrible for light video editing and some gaming at lower settings: Acer Aspire E 15.
    That's USD. In Canadian, that'd be around 750 according to Google

But yeah, that would.. Work. For what OP wants

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That's USD. In Canadian, that'd be around 750 according to Google

But yeah, that would.. Work. For what OP wants
    Oh shoot, thanks for the reminder.

Yeah... I got nothin.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

I could spend more. I guess $600.00 is what I had in mind. Wouldn't object to going up to $800-$900.

And to re-iterate, I would NOT be gaming on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    I could spend more. I guess $600.00 is what I had in mind. Wouldn't object to going up to $800-$900.

And to re-iterate, I would NOT be gaming on this.
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/acer-ni.../6000198375282 is the best thing I can find within that price. CPU is mediocre, it's a hard drive and not an SSD, but it's 1080p, and has a decent enough GPU.

You can probably find better deals if you know the names of Canadian sites, but I don't.

Bestbuy and Staples would be spots I can go pick one up at, or order through.