Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Here's what somebody with 16GB only can expect for modern games. This is Anthem, nothing in the background other than MSI Afterburner+RTSS, Origin, Geforce Experience. If you have a card with less VRAM, for example 4GB, and the game requires more of that, it will further aggravate the situation.

    Anthem is not suffering from using about 3GB worth of pagefile at all, so it's a case by case basis, BFV runs into horrible stuttering when it spills into the pagefile. But you can see my whole 16GB of RAM is used.

    Make no mistakes, those 5.5GB of "Cached" are mostly Anthem files too. In fact, I've launched the game immediately after I rebooted. You can check the cached files with RAMMAP.


  2. #42
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    4,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    While 3600x will be better, 2600x won't be suddendly non-viable.
    See you say this but I have no doubt in my mind that the same will happen now as what happened back when Ryzen initially stepped out of the woods where all the sudden people decided they were going to become heavy multitaskers, streamers and content creators who compressed 7zip files all day so lol at those ancient 4/8 and now 6/6 core processors which are going to all the sudden bottleneck.

    When the 8/16 3600 releases just wait how long that extends to 6/12 and 8/8 processors. It's just not going to be enough anymore for my five open Chrome tabs, Discord and game! I'm a power user, you know?

    Of course I am being a little hyperbolic...
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-03-22 at 11:19 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    See you say this but I have no doubt in my mind that the same will happen now as what happened back when Ryzen initially stepped out of the woods where all the sudden people decided they were going to become heavy multitaskers, streamers and content creators who compressed 7zip files all day so lol at those ancient 4/8 and now 6/6 core processors which are going to all the sudden bottleneck.

    When the 8/16 3600 releases just wait how long that extends to 6/12 and 8/8 processors. It's just not going to be enough anymore for my five open Chrome tabs, Discord and game! I'm a power user, you know?

    Of course I am being a little hyperbolic...
    The fact most people are really convinced that more is good is baffling and i agree with your hyperbole.

    Imho, i'd wait for the 3000 serie because while more cores now are not really useful for everyday usage, they will be "future-proof". We are used to basically 15 years of 4/4 or 4/8 at best and everything was designed to run on these configurations - with more cores available on the mainstream platforms maybe (keyword maybe) new software/games releases will make more use of such structures.

    Anyway, even if it's too much stuff for normal use right now, the price/performance ratio is stellar so no real reason to not buy the 3600/3600x if anyone is going to build a new system.
    No one wants to choose. Everyone wants everything.

  4. #44
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    The fact most people are really convinced that more is good is baffling and i agree with your hyperbole.

    Imho, i'd wait for the 3000 serie because while more cores now are not really useful for everyday usage, they will be "future-proof". We are used to basically 15 years of 4/4 or 4/8 at best and everything was designed to run on these configurations - with more cores available on the mainstream platforms maybe (keyword maybe) new software/games releases will make more use of such structures.

    Anyway, even if it's too much stuff for normal use right now, the price/performance ratio is stellar so no real reason to not buy the 3600/3600x if anyone is going to build a new system.
    As far as I know, Far Cry 5's engine doesn't run that well on <8 threads, with stutters being fairly common.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    As far as I know, Far Cry 5's engine doesn't run that well on <8 threads, with stutters being fairly common.
    That's exactly what i was thinking about. This situation was the exception before, will be the norm now given enough time.
    No one wants to choose. Everyone wants everything.

  6. #46
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    That's exactly what i was thinking about. This situation was the exception before, will be the norm now given enough time.
    We don't know what the future brings, but as more and more people get more cores in their devices, game devs will probably take advantage of them. I can only hope it'll be slow enough that you won't feel hopelessly behind after 1-2 years

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    We don't know what the future brings, but as more and more people get more cores in their devices, game devs will probably take advantage of them. I can only hope it'll be slow enough that you won't feel hopelessly behind after 1-2 years
    Agree. The jump we're seeing now is pretty huge, but as with 4/4 and 4/8 i assume that 8/8 and 8/16 will be the "norm" for quite a while. Or at least i hope.
    No one wants to choose. Everyone wants everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •