Poll: "DM" Stands for...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam-OC View Post
    Funny how that poll worked out.
    There have been polls for DM vs VC and DM dominates it, your point is? What? That almost half says DM to Deadmines even if it's a lowbie dungeon and there's a higher lvl dungeon called DM as well?

A lot of people have figured out it's an NA thing, and a minority at that. But we all know NA is quite special.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Actually, a small majority says Dire Mail... Just look at the poll.

- - - Updated - - -

Da fuq??
    How do you EVER arrive at that??
    In a discussion about DM vs VC you want me to look at a poll for DM vs DM? How does that make sense?

10+ Year Old Account
    DM for Deadmines. DM East/west/north for Dire Maul. Or if its even remotely unclear, shift click the name of the person asking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Poll seem pretty even. My guess is it was mostly faction based - Horde-side nobody really went to Deadmines as it was insanely far, thus DM was always Dire Maul. Alliance side Deadmines were easy to access in the 2nd leveling zone and it took just as long to go to Feralas for Dire Maul, so Deadmines turned into DM for them.

From my experience Deadmines was generally referred to as VC due to VanCleef.
    Poll is pretty even, yes.. But the guy I quoted said vast majority says Deadmines, where I corrected him that a small majority says Dire Mail, as per the poll..

Poll was 220 Dire Mail vs 212 Deadmines when I posted (different now), and that IS a small majority..

It's by no means in unlikely, faction plays a role in DM, but today's is literally the first time I have read Deadmines been called VC..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    In a discussion about DM vs VC you want me to look at a poll for DM vs DM? How does that make sense?
    There is not a single V or C in "Deadmines"... It's not logical to shorten a word into something that isn't part of the original word.

A short is to make something easier and faster, not cryptic.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2019-04-05 at 10:28 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

How is this 10 pages lmao.

Clearly the abbreviation is DM, the VC thing was always a troll and yes i did that in 2006 as well

Deadmines, it was the first dungeon to have that abbreviation as it was lower level. Obviously if you're higher level it's easy enough to tell, especially when people used wings after "DM".

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    Deadmines was always VC as far as I remember seeing it.
    ^ This is how I remember it.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Poll is pretty even, yes.. But the guy I quoted said vast majority says Deadmines, where I corrected him that a small majority says Dire Mail, as per the poll..

Poll was 220 Dire Mail vs 212 Deadmines when I posted (different now), and that IS a small majority..

It's by no means in unlikely, faction plays a role in DM, but today's is literally the first time I have read Deadmines been called VC..

- - - Updated - - -

There is not a single V or C in "Deadmines"... It's not logical to shorten a word into something that isn't part of the original word.

A short is to make something easier and faster, not cryptic.
    Exactly and the discussion you quoted me on was about DM vs VC for Deadmines ^^

Deadmines = TM
    Diremaul = DB

EZ fix just play on german client . Damn I'm thinking of returning to german client again for classic..(been using english since end of bc) I cant stand non german ragnaros boss quotes. They seem so bad.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2019-04-05 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    orly? https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Patch_1.3.0

I remember the arguments back in 2005 as to which was which
    You're linking a patch from 5 months after the game released, so I'm not sure what your point is. Again, from release Deadmines was DM. When Dire Maul was added the debate began. But for people there from Day1, DM is Deadmines.

Unless you're from EU I suppose. I think that launched with Dire Maul.

Purely DM definitely Deadmines, DM East/West/North was the usual norm for dire maul specific wing run.

DM will always be Deadmines, one of the best dungeons they ever made.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I played on alliance in vanilla and DM was Deadmines AND Dire Maul.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Dungeon Master
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    It's not confusing and people saying that we all said VC in vanilla are wrong.
    While i find "VC" entirely silly, it could still vary based on server as servers were more closed off back then.

Personally, as someone who played on a handful of german servers, never saw "VC" once, despite that Van Cleef was still Van Cleef in the german client.
    Everyone called it DM, despite its name being "Todesminen" in german.

That's a close poll

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Anyone who says Dire Maul didn't play from release.
    You're linking a patch from 5 months after the game released, so I'm not sure what your point is.
    My point is..... actually no, I misread what you wrote. Oops

Again, from release Deadmines was DM. When Dire Maul was added the debate began. But for people there from Day1, DM is Deadmines.

Unless you're from EU I suppose. I think that launched with Dire Maul.
    Technically, EU launched 3 weeks before Dire Maul, but close enough.

I would agree that DM was Deadmines, but many of the people on my server switched to VC during the summer of 2005.

Guess we get to do it all over again since Dire Maul is going to be in Classic Phase 2. #nochanges has gone meta.

Might be an alliance issue. At Horde was rare for anyone to go to deadmines so I remember everyone calling Dire Maul DM.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calling Deadmines VC must be American logic..

If your kid is named Thomas, Tom is a logic short. Is you kid named Samantha, Sam is a logic short.

Yet, Americans seem to think that if you call you kid William, a logic short is Bill, and if you name your kid Richard, Dick is a logic short..

A short is a shorter version of a name, NOT a cryptic rewrite..

VC was never a thing in Europe.. People calling Deadmines VC are either stupid or Trolls.

That being said; DM was ofc Dire Maul.. Deadmines was Deadmines.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Dank Memes.

I call both DM
    Last edited by mojusk; 2019-04-06 at 08:28 AM.

"DM" alone doesn't mean Dire Maul because its separated into wings. You'll always see "DME", "DM East", "DMN", etc. Obviously they aren't referring to "Deadmines East"...