Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Love Death & Robots

Anyone watched this show on Netflix yet? Season 1 is split up into 10 - 15 minute single story episodes of which there are 20 episodes.

Imagine if the shorts of The Animatrix and Heavy Metal had a baby and was brought up by the Twilight Zone and you'd get this show. I loved some of the styles and animation in these, some more stylized than others.

Trailer doesn't really do this show justice, or maybe it does, some episodes are just as crazy, I just finished binge watching all the episodes, all of which ranged from bonkers to shocking to outright 'wtf' lol

Update 19th May 2021
    Season 2 trailer

Last edited by Orby; 2021-04-24 at 10:28 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It's a great series, I hope we get a second season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great series, like black mirror but shorter and more robots.

definitely NSFW, ruined my whole saturday afternoon though

10+ Year Old Account
    I've watched about half of them at this point, bit of a range in quality tbh. The animation/3D work was consistently top notch for the each of the episodes I saw but a number of the stories were pretty poor/predictable or not very interesting. I personally enjoyed the Three Robots, Beyond the Aquila Rift and Alternate Histories Episodes. Also I swear at one point they must have had Cats in the title.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    I've watched about half of them at this point, bit of a range in quality tbh. The animation/3D work was consistently top notch for the each of the episodes I saw but a number of the stories were pretty poor/predictable or not very interesting. I personally enjoyed the Three Robots, Beyond the Aquila Rift and Alternate Histories Episodes. Also I swear at one point they must have had Cats in the title.
    Yea, I noticed, at worst they are very predictable, The first 5 episodes are awesome, they do kind of dip in quality from a stporyline perspective half way, Good Hunting is a very good one but turns into some weird Alita tribute. The Ice Age episode I have seen before in some other shows.

Zima Blue is probably my favourite episode followed by Helping Hand, Shape Shifters, and Three Robots. I enjoyed the Witness even though it was preictable becuase the style kind of uses some weird live action mixed with CGI mixed some other weird effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really loved this series, it's nice to have self-contained stories for a change and good ones at that. The production quality is crazy good. Really do hope we get another season of this.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    My boyfriend watched a few of them and showed me one with three robots who find a cat. It was pretty good.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

It's ok - the stories are very predictable and cliche. The artstyle isn't anything special and feels very "safe" - I was expecting weirdness ala Adult Swim stuff, but the whole show feels like a board of executives watched Adult Swim and tried to rip off of it.

Entertaining enough though - I'd recommend the Kirlian Frequency if anybody likes this. Much better, even though it's shorter overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    My boyfriend watched a few of them and showed me one with three robots who find a cat. It was pretty good.
    that one was my favourite

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Imagine if the shorts of The Animatrix and Heavy Metal had a baby and was brought up by the Twilight Zone and you'd get this show.
    I'm only eight episodes in, but so far this is a great description. Fairly high concept sci-fi, cyberpunk, and steampunk shorts in a variety of animation styles. Very pulpy, lots of sex and violence. A bit predictable, but it's hard to surprise me with twists after all the stuff I've read and watched; the concepts have at least been creative even if I've seen all the twists coming.

"Good Hunting" is my favorite so far. "Sonnie's Edge" reminded me a lot of the Tagers from Cthluhutech and just makes me want a full on cyberpunk-Lovecraftian version of Digimon. None have disappointed me so far.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2019-03-17 at 11:11 PM.

This feels somewhat like very very clever market research. I expect them to analyze which short stories get the most (positive) response and develop similar shows out of it. Only seen the first two so far, but what a cool idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    a full on cyberpunk-Lovecraftian version of Digimon.
    10/10 would watch.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Brought my account out of hibernation for this one, Heard about this one and as a BIG
    Fan of the original Heavy Metal (Ground breaking for it's time, sadly didn't age well)
    I had to watch this series. Thought I'd Give each episode a sentence or two.

MILD SPOILERS (Very mild)

1. Sonnie's Edge - Good introduction to what they wanted to do. On it's own the episode
    was rather weak, but it had promise. The fight scene was fun, the twist was lacking.

2. Three Robots - Big departure from the Sonnie, but really shined. The comedy was spot on,
    but still had an important message in the last few mins. Also cats lol

3. The Witness - This one was disappointing, If they hadn't spoiled the whole story by showing
    who the victim of the first murder was, it could have been a nice mindfuck for the reveal.
    But having spoiled it, they rest of the episode was very, very predictable. I'll give it
    points for the dance scene, it was well done.

4. Suits - This one was just plain fun. The gruff farmer, an alien invasion, and mechs. 15 minutes
    of pure action. I didn't have a single complaint about this episode.

5. Sucker of Souls - Overall this episode is average. However, I did appreciate the departure from
    CGI animation to a more simplistic style, it gave it character that it was otherwise lacking.
    I did like the design on the Vampires. Good ending, too many "happy" endings before it.
    Again Cats lol

6. When the Yogurt Took Over - Short and very silly. I'm not a fan of the animation style, but
    frankly it's so short I never had time to adjust to it in the first place. One bright spot
    was hearing Maurice LaMarche doing the narration. Without him this would have been a
    complete failure.

7. Beyond The Aquila Rift - The first episode to really blow me away. The animation was SUPERB
    especially on Greta (She looked real.) and to lesser extent Thom. The story was good, it
    didn't spoil itslef like The Witness did. The twist was well done, and the ending was perfect.
    At this point during my binge of the series, this is by far my favorite.

8. Good Hunting - I'll be honest, the beginning of this one felt a bit flat. However as it progressed
    it found it's footing. Alternate timeline steampunk China sounds strange, but they mixed
    them well. The animation was good, at times it had a very "Disney" feel to it. The end of this
    one came abruptly, it left me wanting more and that's a good thing.

9. The Dump - So much Character packed into 10 minutes. This one was engaging from start to finish.
    Interesting animation style, fun story concept, and both parts (present and flashback)
    had unique style. Much like Suits, I have zero complaints.

10. Shape-Shifters - Superb animation similar to Aquila Rift. Interesting setting and an engaging plot.
    The idea of werewolves serving as soldiers isn't unique or new but somehow this still felt fresh.
    They could have made a much longer feature with these characters and settings, and it would be
    a stunning success.

11. Helping Hand - Generic Story, good animation, and fairly short. This one is middle of the pack for
    me. The emotion conveyed is excellent and that really helped this one be something more. For
    anyone interested in space travel, these events happening are probably a real fear.

12. Fish Night - Simple story and concept. Wouldn't have been very impressive, except the visuals were
    actually quite well done and the use of colors was excellent.

13. Lucky 13 - Top notch animation, main character looks exactly like the actress who plays her. Simple
    story but really good job making me feel emotion for an aircraft.

14. Zima Blue - Odd art style, but it works with the piece ( I say piece becaue this episode really was
    more a piece of art than a cartoon). I feel like I should say more about this one, but the episode
    really speaks for itself.

15. Blindspot - Mindless fun, I thorougly enjoyed this one. Good old fashioned "train heist" with a
    mechanical twist. Only disappointing part was the end, the happy ending was completely
    unnessecary.

16. Ice Age - This one was strange. I still enjoyed it, but i sat down to watch these for the animation.
    So seeing Topher Grace was just odd. That said they subject was interesting even if it wasn't
    new. What animation there was, was good. The T-rex looked great!

17. Alternate Timelines - Whimsical take on multiple possible realities. I wouldn't think much of this
    episode, except they really go for it and get whacky with the last few alternate realities. Despite
    it's short length I found this one very enjoyable.

18. Secret War - Excellent animation to close out the series. Good action and an enjoyable setting. Part
    of me wishes they had them speaking russian with subtitles, would have made it more authentic, but
    that would have turned off part of the audience I'm sure. Strong note to end on.

Overall enjoyable, not anything at all like Heavy Metal but still good on it's own merits.

STAND OUT FAVORITES: Beyond The Aquila Rift, The Dump, Shapeshifters, and Secret War.

I sincerely hope they get greenlit for a more streamlined season 2.
    Last edited by Uproot; 2019-03-23 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Stuff

It was nice. I hope they are market research! Just a reminder, the order of episodes change depending on the user. Netflix said it was random between 4 setup.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

Ya, they were all pretty amazing episodes. Some of them deserve their own damn series.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    It was fucking awesome. Ill just leave it at that.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Anyone watching this new series on Netflix? What do you think? I personally am really enjoying it.
    I binged all of it over 2 days. Was awesome.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I liked the first one the best. Should have its own spinoff series on netflix imo

10+ Year Old Account
    The Russian demon episode was cool....should've been made a game or tv series.