Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which Cpu/Gpu to buy?

Hey boys I'm looking to buy a processor and video card to finish my system. Budget is $300 to 400.

As of right now I have:
    NZXT H5001 Case
    Lg 75hz FreeSync Monitor 27mp59g-p (According to some amazon comments this monitor works with g-sync but who knows)
    SeaSonic - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Power Supply
    Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Ryzen 2000 ready)
    and 16 gigs of DDR4 SDRAM 2666 (PC4 21300)

On a side note: Due to purchasing a gpu I don't think that I would want to buy any of the ryzen apus and instead stick with a ryzen cpu that doesn't have vega graphics.
    Last edited by Alkhan; 2019-03-18 at 12:19 AM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're strict with your budget then an R5 2600 and RX 580 will fit your budget and guarantee adaptive sync. You could stretch it out a little and look towards the RX 590 or 1660 for an extra fist full of frames depending on sales and how much you're taxed too.

You might even be able to sneak in a 2600X which features a higher base and a boost clock if you're not interested in overclocking. It's only ~$20 more.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-03-18 at 12:40 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    If you're strict with your budget then an R5 2600 and RX 580 will fit your budget and guarantee adaptive sync. You could stretch it out a little and look towards the RX 590 or 1660 for an extra fist full of frames depending on sales and how much you're taxed too.
    Thank's for the comment. The 590 and some of the 1660 models are currently at the same price point ($219). Other than guaranteed functioning free sync what would be a reason to pick the much older 590 over the much more recent 1660?

Also I'm living in NY aka sales tax has quite an impact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkhan View Post
    Thank's for the comment. The 590 and some of the 1660 models are currently at the same price point ($219). Other than guaranteed functioning free sync what would be a reason to pick the much older 590 over the much more recent 1660?

Also I'm living in NY aka sales tax has quite an impact.
    If both are the same price then I'd sooner recommend the 1660 even with the potential loss to adaptive sync. Having 2GB less isn't something to lose sleep over by any means but in either case you may well be hitting the FPS cap depending on the game and settings. Overclock the 1660 and it'll only further the distance between the two since, IIRC, the 590 doesn't have much leg room and already runs hot. The 590 really needs to hug $200 to be more appealing.

This is assuming it fits your budget. Otherwise you can look at the 580/1060 and lose, like, 10% performance.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-03-18 at 12:59 AM.

You might even be able to sneak in a 2600X which features a higher base and a boost clock if you're not interested in overclocking. It's only ~$20 more.
    After browsing the internet for the last 2 hours concerning the r5 2600 and my motherboard which is supposedly ryzen 2000 ready I'm not sure anymore if buying this particular cpu is the best idea. I'm a first time cpu buyer so flashing the bios is out of the question and amazon/reddit got a ton of complaints saying that my motherboard will not work with the r5 2600 even though the sticker says it is ryzen 2000 ready. Can anybody shed some light on this?

15+ Year Old Account
    After browsing the internet for the last 2 hours concerning the r5 2600 and my motherboard which is supposedly ryzen 2000 ready I'm not sure anymore if buying this particular cpu is the best idea. I'm a first time cpu buyer so flashing the bios is out of the question and amazon/reddit got a ton of complaints saying that my motherboard will not work with the r5 2600 even though the sticker says it is ryzen 2000 ready. Can anybody shed some light on this?
    What is the bios version?

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    What is the bios version?
    Gigabyte contrary to other motherboard manufactures does not put the bios version onto the box or motherboard via a sticker aka no idea and noway to check=/.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds odd.. You could contact the vendor you're buying from and asking if they'd be willing to check, or take it back if you find it's not the right bios. However you can also just buy a B450 board, since they're guaranteed to work with 2000 series chips

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Sounds odd.. You could contact the vendor you're buying from and asking if they'd be willing to check, or take it back if you find it's not the right bios. However you can also just buy a B450 board, since they're guaranteed to work with 2000 series chips
    He has the board already.
    @Alkhan according to Gigabytes website, the first bios date was Jan 2018. Ryzen 2 was announced Feb 2018 and released in April 2018, so you should be good especially if you bought your board recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Alkhan according to Gigabytes website, the first bios date was Jan 2018. Ryzen 2 was announced Feb 2018 and released in April 2018, so you should be good especially if you bought your board recently.
    Ah, missed that part.
    But yeah, if you bought it recently you should be fine. I doubt any vendor would have year old stock left, and if it's newer than that it should be updated to support 2000 series

I'm not sure when it was purchased due to it being a gift. Upon further inspection of the motherboard I noticed that it said revision 1.1 and that made me wonder. Would the original bios be labeled as revision 1(motherboard picture on the website is REV:1.0) and then the first update (F20) aka the one I need would be labeled as revision 1.1?
    Last edited by Alkhan; 2019-03-18 at 01:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure when it was purchased due to it being a gift. Upon further inspection of the motherboard I noticed that it said revision 1.1 and that made me wonder. Would the original bios be labeled as revision 1(motherboard picture on the website is REV:1.0) and then the first update (F20) aka the one I need would be labeled as revision 1.1?
    If you're unsure, you can always send them an email and ask. But it should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you're unsure, you can always send them an email and ask. But it should be fine
    Did that a couple hours ago. Waiting for an answer which could take a while

10+ Year Old Account
    IIRC isn't there a certain amount of ambiguity as well as misleading information in regards to boards which are "Ryzen 2000 ready? Weren't the earlier boards branded as such specifically towards Raven Ridge and not Pinnacle Ridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I'm pretty sure the gtx 1660 supports freesync. So you wouldn't be missing out.
    Oh yeah it'll definitely support Freesync but it depends on the monitor. If his monitor does support it then that's more or less the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-03-18 at 09:36 PM.

If both are the same price then I'd sooner recommend the 1660 even with the potential loss to adaptive sync. Having 2GB less isn't something to lose sleep over by any means but in either case you may well be hitting the FPS cap depending on the game and settings. Overclock the 1660 and it'll only further the distance between the two since, IIRC, the 590 doesn't have much leg room and already runs hot. The 590 really needs to hug $200 to be more appealing.

This is assuming it fits your budget. Otherwise you can look at the 580/1060 and lose, like, 10% performance.
    I'm pretty sure the gtx 1660 supports freesync. So you wouldn't be missing out.

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC isn't there a certain amount of ambiguity as well as misleading information in regards to boards which are "Ryzen 2000 ready? Weren't the earlier boards branded as such specifically towards Raven Ridge and not Pinnacle Ridge?
    Most of the x370 mobos needed a bios update. They were forward compatible as far as hardware was concerned. And AMD has the program where if youre stuck in the predicament they would loan you a cheap am4 CPU to help with updating

They were. @OP on the off chance the motherboard will not boot with the 2600, the solution is to RMA the board with gigabyte and they will update the BIOS for you. I think it's very likely that the board's bios is already flashed to support pinnacle ridge, however.

You can read all about it here https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    They were. @OP on the off chance the motherboard will not boot with the 2600, the solution is to RMA the board with gigabyte and they will update the BIOS for you. I think it's very likely that the board's bios is already flashed to support pinnacle ridge, however.
    Could find a friend with a 1000 series or maybe a geek squad or microcenter or PC repair place to see if they'd assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    You can read all about it here https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

- - - Updated - - -

Could find a friend with a 1000 series or maybe a geek squad or microcenter or PC repair place to see if they'd assist.
    I'm assuming the first is unlikely, and if it were me, I'd not want to spend more money when I don't have to(the quote was 50 dollars from a local store! ouch!)

Did that a couple hours ago. Waiting for an answer which could take a while
    If you have a Microcenter in your region, you could pick up an R5 1600 for $79, but in-store only.

Thank's for the replies. To answer a couple questions. No answer from gigabyte yet / no pc shop nearby that could flash the bios / no microcenter / monitor I have has freesync.

I decided to purchase a b450 motherboard just to be on the safe side. Been without a functioning computer for quite a while now and don't feel like running into problems once the parts arrive. I found 2 cpu/motherboard deals and I'm looking for opinions on said deals.

Deal 1.

ASUS B450 AMD Ryzen 2 ATX Gaming Motherboard
    Ryzen 5 2600 with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    for $259

Deal 2.

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
    RYZEN 5 2600X with Wraith Spire Cooler
    for $239

I'm also wondering if newegg will restock the 590 sapphire for $219? Not sure what else to buy. (Going to buy everything on friday)
    Last edited by Alkhan; 2019-03-19 at 09:06 PM.