10+ Year Old Account

Time to rebuild.

Budget: £ 600-800 GBP
    Resolution: Main screen: 3440x1440, 2nd screen: 1920x1080, 3rd screen: 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    - Do need to transcode some videos. But not basing my build around it.
    -
    • Networking - Need minimum 2x Ethernet ports
    • USB - Need minimum 4 USB 3 ports. (Can be on a USB 3.0 Header)
    • KVM - Would like a 2 USB KVM switch. (well KM)
    • Fan Headers - Would like 6.

Parts that can be reused:
    • PSU - Fractal Design
    • Case - Fractal Design Define R4
    • GPU - MSI GeForce 970
    • Storage - 2x SSD, 5x HDD
    • Optical - DVD drive

Do you need an OS? - Not sure yet. Don't know if it will work or let me upgrade. Not a concern.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - No. No additional peripherals required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which i7. Also why i7 instead of i5 now?
    Been out of sync for a while. Not up to date on current generation stuff or AMD vs Intel argument.

If your a hardcore team blue fan then the i7 8700K or 9700K are good picks but do know the 9700K gives up hyper threading for an extra 2 cores. That said if your not a Hardcore Intel fan the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 or 2700X are far better values, and if you can wait a few months the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's will be out. AMD also allows overclocking on the B series chipset allowing you to save money on the Mobo. for Ram I'd suggest 32G sense you stated you do production work.

Intel
    CPU: i7 8700K or 9700K
    Mobo: Z390
    Ram: 32G DDR 4

AMD
    CPU: R7 2700X
    MoBo: B450
    Ram: 32G DDR 4 (( I suggest a kit of 3200MHz Samsung B-die sticks such as the Trident Z Royals as Ryzen performs better with fast Samsung B-die ram. ))
    Last edited by col1kill; 2019-03-19 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by col1kill View Post
    If your a hardcore team blue fan then the i7 8700K or 9700K are good picks but do know the 9700K gives up hyper threading for an extra 2 cores. That said if your not a Hardcore Intel fan the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 or 2700X are far better values, and if you can wait a few months the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's will be out. AMD also allows overclocking on the B series chipset allowing you to save money on the Mobo. for Ram I'd suggest 32G sense you stated you do production work.

Intel
    CPU: i7 8700K or 9700K
    Mobo: Z390
    Ram: 32G DDR 4

AMD
    CPU: R7 2700X
    MoBo: B450
    Ram: 32G DDR 4 (( I suggest a kit of 3200MHz Samsung B-die sticks such as the Trident Z Royals as Ryzen performs better with fast Samsung B-die ram. ))
    Ryzen doesn't really care who made the sticks, just cares if they go fast.. Which B-die does.

For OP - Ryzen based: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LGVdr6
    Intel based: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qWLxBb

With your GPU, you probably won't notice any difference in games, but depending on what you use to export, it could benefit from either cores (So Ryzen) or speed (Intel). Adobe likes going fast, I know that much, not sure about other programs