Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    I wanted to experience it in its full glory.
    It's one of those things you only hear about nowadays, the legendary battles that took place in it.

    I've never heard anyone say that 1.12 is an improvement, only bad things about it.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Private servers are not a reflection of retail. The long epic AV's were about farming HKs, the only currency that mattered in pvp. Marks were floof.
    Someone remind me, wasn't there diminishing returns on farming HK's? I have a faint memory of reading that once you killed another played 3 times, you stopped hetting honour/HK's from that player, which was why those who were serious about PvP stayed well clear of AV.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I'm quite disheartened by seeing that they consider "early improvements to the BG that we’re glad to have in place" to have less and weaker NPC, not having body parts to return and other aspects which were part of Alterac's uniqueness.

    I really get this feeling they have goodwill toward the community but still having a hard time really understanding why people liked Vanilla, and often missing the point.
    Do you want AV on one patch and the rest of the game's content on another?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusBrutus View Post
    Do you want AV on one patch and the rest of the game's content on another?
    Why not ?
    It's still Vanilla either way, and one is definitely much more interesting and more representative of Vanilla. Seems counter-productive to use the other.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Saksy2 View Post
    Friendly reminder that even on private servers with the oldest AV version the players ended up rushing the bosses for maximum rep or badges/hour.
    The only way to get your epic "week long AV" back would be to overtune AV past the point it ever was in Vanilla or time travel back to 2005.

    Korrak or not, 1.5 or 1.12, it doesn't matter.
    AV on private servers isn't blizzlike anyways. It's one of the most custom things actually.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I'm quite disheartened by seeing that they consider "early improvements to the BG that we’re glad to have in place" to have less and weaker NPC, not having body parts to return and other aspects which were part of Alterac's uniqueness.

    I really get this feeling they have goodwill toward the community but still having a hard time really understanding why people liked Vanilla, and often missing the point.
    All these changes were done a reason. AV was never a popular battleground and these changes were made so that the BG is more fun, faster and that players don't abuse it (such as afking around and then looting the body parts OR even botting). Also IIRC all of these things were already removed/changed in the following (or the one after) patch after it was released so that's definitely not what people really remember as the good days of AV

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    All these changes were done a reason.
    All changes in WoW were made for a reason. And yet we are here, wanting to get a version of WoW before said changes. It's not because there was a reason that the reason or the change was good.
    AV was never a popular battleground and these changes were made so that the BG is more fun, faster and that players don't abuse it
    AV never popular ? What ? If anything, AV was the most popular BG...
    The changes didn't make it fun, on the contrary, it just made it "more efficient".
    Zerging the boss is the ultimate "abuse", making a PvP BG entirely devoid of PvP. Hu.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by robotusch View Post
    Someone remind me, wasn't there diminishing returns on farming HK's? I have a faint memory of reading that once you killed another played 3 times, you stopped hetting honour/HK's from that player, which was why those who were serious about PvP stayed well clear of AV.
    No, what existed was a honorless target debuff in world pvp but to my knowledge it didn't really extend in bgs though my memory is spotty at best.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by robotusch View Post
    Someone remind me, wasn't there diminishing returns on farming HK's? I have a faint memory of reading that once you killed another played 3 times, you stopped hetting honour/HK's from that player, which was why those who were serious about PvP stayed well clear of AV.
    Not on retail, no. Perhaps on the private servers. The only reason to avoid AV was that you had a premade to roflstomp WSG.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2019-03-20 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Nobody wants to sit through an 8-hour battleground
    See, that's where you're wrong.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Not on retail, no. Perhaps on the private servers.
    I don't understand why people keep saying this, as if it means something

    2019 Classic playerbase =/= 2005 retail vanilla playerbase

    Quote Originally Posted by ablock87 View Post
    See, that's where you're wrong.
    "ur wrong!!!!"

    Nice counterargument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LFR saved raiding
    Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    LFR is not really easy. I would say it's a lot harder thant Mythic Dungeons
    get_a_load_of_this_guy_cam.jpg

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    one is definitely much more interesting and more representative of Vanilla
    This is 110% your opinion. But if you get a consensus of the entire classic community on this issue, maybe you could put together a well-reasoned proposal for why this one singular feature should diverge from the entire content base.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I don't understand why people keep saying this, as if it means something

    2019 Classic playerbase =/= 2005 retail vanilla playerbase
    What does that have to do with whether something existed in vanilla or not?

    "ur wrong!!!!"

    Nice counterargument.
    By default he's right - you say no one wants to do something that he obviously wants to do. Someone wants to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

  13. #33
    Even though this shows that they're not die hard purists when it comes to releasing Classic... which could be a little concerning... in this case it's a good decision. This is a slippery slope though. I'm not really playing Classic for the day long AV's though. That was kind of a negative about vanilla imo

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    All these changes were done a reason. AV was never a popular battleground and these changes were made so that the BG is more fun, faster and that players don't abuse it (such as afking around and then looting the body parts OR even botting). Also IIRC all of these things were already removed/changed in the following (or the one after) patch after it was released so that's definitely not what people really remember as the good days of AV
    These changes made AV faster, but the BG also lost its identity. It became a npc killing race where PvP was practically forbidden.

    "Rush for the Frostwolf!!", "Rush, Rush, Rush!!!", "Don't fight in the middle noobs", "Who tanks Drek'Thar? Pull him fast, Vanndar is at 90% already!!", "Okay, we have lost this, let them win fast so we can start a new BG".

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I don't understand why people keep saying this, as if it means something

    2019 Classic playerbase =/= 2005 retail vanilla playerbase



    "ur wrong!!!!"

    Nice counterargument.
    Sorry that simple statement got under your skin.

    You said no one wants those long AVs. I love those long AVs from 14 years ago and would like to do it again. Therefore, you are wrong.

    If you'd like to make anymore asinine comments, just let me know.

  16. #36
    This is not the true AV. I have no interest in this version. This is basically the retail version with minor changes, not the epic battleground I know and love. I mean, I might pay $15/month just for the original AV and spend all my time in there and ignore the rest of WoW.

  17. #37
    As a melee, I hated the old AV. All I remember is a choke point with no movement for ages, and Mages spamming their AOE's. Boring as fuck.

    I'm happy the rush tactic is what we'll use, gotta farm that epic ring!

    Even if we got the oldest form of AV, with all we know from the game today, we'd find a way to rush it, and at the end of the day, the players just want to rush to get faster honour.

    A 24 hour AV, sure sounds cool. Gets boring fast.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2019-03-21 at 11:25 AM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusBrutus View Post
    This is 110% your opinion. But if you get a consensus of the entire classic community on this issue, maybe you could put together a well-reasoned proposal for why this one singular feature should diverge from the entire content base.
    Well, maybe you should look at the reactions on the announcement both in US and EU forum, because YEAH it seems it's 110 % not just like my opinion and the consensus seems already here.

  19. #39
    Dying to a lot of NPCs though, and not to players, isn't really PvP. This is exactly what the early AV was about.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "ur wrong!!!!"

    Nice counterargument.
    Well. If he would like to do an 8 hour battleground then that alone is proof that the claim is false.
    It doesnt matter if the population that wants it is 0,001% or 99,999%. in either case it is disproved.

    The claim doesnt leave any room for disussion. It was a true/false statement. In this case, false.

    My tip would be to change the claim to "The majority or x% of players doesnt want to sit in a bg for 8 hous"
    That is alot harder to disporve. But ofc, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2019-03-21 at 01:31 PM.
    "My brother thinks I'm crazy to play the same game for 14 years. He doesn't understand. I plan to play it for the rest of my life."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •