Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    They literally showed us how it would work with a phone... This is how it could work on a tablet...

Also... the switch is a tablet. A highly specialized one, but its a tablet.

For phones, they literally showed us that.
    Touchscreen controls are a terrible "solution." Latching your phone onto a large controller is better at least, but I still can't see a casual gamer doing that. It's kinda like carrying around a 32" TV in the back of your car in case you get the chance to hook it up somewhere and plug in your game console.

Again, I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative. I just believe touch screen controls are not a solution, and I don't think that people will carry around a full sized controller to game on their phones or tablets. That's because the controller is so large. Without a controller these games have no portability.

Asking us to accept latency and suspend disbelief about internet connection worries is one thing, but asking us to use TOUCH CONTROLS is a whole different ballgame. We are regressing to before NES levels of bad gaming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Touchscreen controls are a terrible "solution." Latching your phone onto a large controller is better at least, but I still can't see a casual gamer doing that. It's kinda like carrying around a 32" TV in the back of your car in case you get the chance to hook it up somewhere and plug in your game console.

Again, I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative. I just believe touch screen controls are not a solution, and I don't think that people will carry around a full sized controller to game on their phones or tablets. That's because the controller is so large. Without a controller these games have no portability.

Asking us to accept latency and suspend disbelief about internet connection worries is one thing, but asking us to use TOUCH CONTROLS is a while different ballgame. We are regressing to before NES levels of bad gaming here.
    You aren't the target. There are plenty of games that use touch controls now. There's a reason mobile gaming is bigger than PC and console combined. Portability is a very big thing. What's to stop one of these streaming services from just being an app on Switch vNext?
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 08:45 PM.

You aren't the target. There are plenty of games that use touch controls now. There's a reason mobile gaming is bigger than PC and console combined.
    Yes, I agree with you there. We will have to wait and see where this goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how they mentioned battle royales, as if you could play those with 150+ ping and not go insane.

The concept seems cool and I'll try it out if it won't be too expensive though.

considering chrome buckles often under 4K youtube videos, soemthing tells me 4k video games or even 1080p vg is a total lie

If the service has interesting games that are interesting and the service is solid they could price match and be fine... What we've seen so far is only proof of concepts and 2 titles. They need more or it's a waste of a service.
    Price to match is hard....because this sounds like a really expensive project google is starting and without local hardware I'm really curious what the price needs to be for google to break even.

Google has deep pockets and they have smart people working so I assume they did the numbers. Still curious though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone remember the kinect? I sure do.

This thing is going to be a fucking disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

OHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Anyone remember the kinect? I sure do.

This thing is going to be a fucking disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

OHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN!!!

Where are you getting the bandwidth usage? That seems rather high? From what I heard a 25 mb/s was about what people should be shooting for.

Either way.. If that's for 4k gaming, its really not for the here and now, but 2-3 years in the future.

Also... The kinect was one of the fastest selling hardware peripherals in history. It fell down because there was very few supported games and didn't make sense as a gaming peripheral.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are you getting the bandwidth usage? That seems rather high? From what I heard a 25 mb/s was about what people should be shooting for.

Either way.. If that's for 4k gaming, its really not for the here and now, but 2-3 years in the future.

Also... The kinect was one of the fastest selling hardware peripherals in history. It fell down because there was very few supported games and didn't make sense as a gaming peripheral.
    It had a ton of promised features that never delivered. It also just played like shit. It was a pipe dream. When they were saying kinect could be used by surgeons to perform surgery or by college students for presentation . Just from watching google's presentation you can see huge input lag when the guy is using the controller. I'm not liking how this thing looks. Then again I'm probably not the target audience. I'm just hoping this thing doesn't screw over everyone else who doesn't want to use it if google finds success.

It had a ton of promised features that never delivered. It also just played like shit. It was a pipe dream. When they were saying kinect could be used by surgeons to perform surgery or by college students for presentation . Just from watching google's presentation you can see huge input lag when the guy is using the controller. I'm not liking how this thing looks. Then again I'm probably not the target audience. I'm just hoping this thing doesn't screw over everyone else who doesn't want to use it if google finds success.
    I'm pretty sure the demo on stage was canned. I'm not even saying Stadia is going to be particularly good now, I'm just saying that game streaming tech is going to be big for bringing full fidelity gaming to more people.

I think Microsoft's offering has a better chance at being more widely adopted because it has some offline capabilities, way lower bandwidth requirements and predictive modelling, but we will see.

They also have relationships with publishers already so they're probably have more of a streaming library before Google does.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 09:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure the demo on stage was canned. I'm not even saying Stadia is going to be particularly good now, I'm just saying that game streaming tech is going to be big for bringing full fidelity gaming to more people.

I think Microsoft's offering has a better chance at being more widely adopted because it has some offline capabilities, way lower bandwidth requirements and predictive modelling, but we will see.

They also have relationships with publishers already so they're probably have more of a streaming library before Google does.
    It's not going to be 20 gigs but around 7-10 gigs an hour. Which is still extremely high for people with low data caps. The choke hold that ISPs have on burgerland means this thing will never get off the ground.

It's not going to be 20 gigs but around 7-10 gigs an hour. Which is still extremely high for people with low data caps. The choke hold that ISPs have on burgerland means this thing will never get off the ground.
    Right... That's why i'm not convinced google's implementation is going to be super compelling... Yet.

In a few years? Maybe.

From what I'm hearing Microsoft's implementation should require waaaaaay less bandwidth.

Mass-market consumer streaming is the new mass-market consumer VR. My body is ready for another repeat of the, "THIS IS THE YEAR OF HIGH END GAME STREAMING" think pieces for 4ish years before the industry realizes that the tech isn't quite there yet and goes quiet/niche until the tech (and in this case, more importantly the infrastructure) is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Mass-market consumer streaming is the new mass-market consumer VR. My body is ready for another repeat of the, "THIS IS THE YEAR OF HIGH END GAME STREAMING" think pieces for 4ish years before the industry realizes that the tech isn't quite there yet and goes quiet/niche until the tech (and in this case, more importantly the infrastructure) is ready.
    Microsoft's plan is to ease this in over the next several years. Google seems to want to jump in the deep end.

Microsoft's plan is to ease this in over the next several years. Google seems to want to jump in the deep end.
    Yeah, IIRC they have some patents for lower spec systems that handle the more latency-sensitive calculations locally while offloading much of the rendering/calculations to the cloud. I think that's a great technological stepping stone and also a fantastic way to help onboard and educate users about the new tech. There's still a box and it still has hardware and it may still run disks, it's just not all happening within the box itself.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've actually been waiting for someone to try this. Now let's just hope this nonsense crashes and burns as quickly as possible, to dissuade other companies from trying it. I'm kinda glad Google is jumping in whole hog. Basically everyone else is going to be against this, especially Intel, Nvidia, and AMD.

I personally will NEVER touch a streaming service, ever, for any reason. Games I play run locally on my hardware or not at all. The day this becomes "mainstream" and titles become exclusive to it, is the day I stop being a gamer. Or more accurately, I stick with retro games only. I already have a HUGE backlog of games that would keep me busy for many years. It wouldn't be a huge deal for me if there were never any new games. "Cloud" games don't exist as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2019-03-20 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, IIRC they have some patents for lower spec systems that handle the more latency-sensitive calculations locally while offloading much of the rendering/calculations to the cloud. I think that's a great technological stepping stone and also a fantastic way to help onboard and educate users about the new tech. There's still a box and it still has hardware and it may still run disks, it's just not all happening within the box itself.
    I honestly think that's part of the play with the discless Xbox One S.
    Buy this thing for like $150, be apart of the beta. Oh and try it on your phone/tablet as well.

Stadia looks impressive on paper, but in practice the tech/infrastructure ain't there yet. We're many years away from this.
    Also, the likes of Ajit Pai will single handedly cripple this in the US.

So, I'm dumb. Can someone explain this to me. Does this mean your personal computer's specs don't matter? I've got a decent pc, but not having to keep upgrading to the top of the line (aka expensive) hardware seems like a big positive. I'm not too worried about the internet connection, as I have a 500mbps speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    So, I'm dumb. Can someone explain this to me. Does this mean your personal computer's specs don't matter? I've got a decent pc, but not having to keep upgrading to the top of the line (aka expensive) hardware seems like a big positive. I'm not too worried about the internet connection, as I have a 500mbps speed.
    You'd be able to play in basically anything with chrome with some latency. The big question is if there are going to be a wide selection of games and if they can actually solve the latency issue.