Page 1 of 15
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Google Stadia - Googles new game streaming platform

    Basically run games anywhere with a chrome browser at up to 4k with HDR at launch.

    We saw bits and pieces of this with the Project Yeti test earlier this year.

    This includes a new controller, but this will work with the controllers that already exists.

    Stadia uses the Vulkan API, so that will probably mean some substantial effort written with DX.

    Each session will take place on a 10 TFlop instance. This is more powerful than current consoles, but it sounds like you need specialized api's to actually run on Stadia's instances.

    Stadia should launch in 2019. We will learn more about launch titles in the Summer.

    No pricing has been announced.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 06:07 PM.

  2. #2
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,243
    no expensive box is awesome

    up to 4k soon to be 8k

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    no expensive box is awesome

    up to 4k soon to be 8k
    Yeah that's super weird... Earlier in the stream they said up to 1080p.. The guy speaking now says 4k :shrug:

  4. #4
    I can see that, I already had a good time with the Project Stream test.
    Synek - best rogue in the world


  5. #5
    UPD is how this does what it does since the traffic is next to none outside of P2P networking.
    “If you don't believe me that is too damn bad!”

  6. #6
    Lets just wait and see....curious how much this will cost and which publisher will play along with google.

  7. #7

    Google Stadia

    What does everyone think so far? Seems interesting so far. Obviously there are some major caveats but overall it looks good.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Just merge this with the other article if any mod reads it.
    “If you don't believe me that is too damn bad!”

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Lets just wait and see....curious how much this will cost and which publisher will play along with google.
    I am guessing they want to undercut GamePass so 9.99 a month with the option to buy games outright.
    “If you don't believe me that is too damn bad!”

  9. #9
    The more I hear about this, the more it just seems that google decided to try to get into the gaming space by throwing a ton of money at things. It's a cool concept, but there's going to be a substantial dev buy-in to get games on the platform.

    Yeah, they have 10 TFlop instances... but that's for a single game instance. I'd certainly hope their datacenter is more powerful than several year old consoles.

    They haven't really mentioned anything about latency yet other than we have a lot of datacenters... If they're not doing any predictive modeling, then this will suffer from the same latency issues as any other service.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Yeah that's super weird... Earlier in the stream they said up to 1080p.. The guy speaking now says 4k :shrug:
    Didnt they say that they had managed to stream the tech demo up to 1080p? Not that it was any kind of limit.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The more I hear about this, the more it just seems that google decided to try to get into the gaming space by throwing a ton of money at things. It's a cool concept, but there's going to be a substantial dev buy-in to get games on the platform.

    Yeah, they have 10 TFlop instances... but that's for a single game instance. I'd certainly hope their datacenter is more powerful than several year old consoles.

    They haven't really mentioned anything about latency yet other than we have a lot of datacenters... If they're not doing any predictive modeling, then this will suffer from the same latency issues as any other service.
    Well, have you heard of parsec or rainway? the latency added is only about 5ms which is literally nothing, and that is streaming your own PC over the internet.
    “If you don't believe me that is too damn bad!”

  12. #12
    Don't get me wrong, this is a super cool concept, but we've heard of 2 titles so far. One they demo'd in the fall and one that they're only demoing today at GDC. If they don't have more games by launch... well that's not great.

    We need to see when live demos actually launch with more than 2 games and how it stacks up with X-Cloud, which should actually play current games as well as new ones with relatively low to no developer updates.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 05:58 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I am guessing they want to undercut GamePass so 9.99 a month with the option to buy games outright.

    If I look at the gamepass games, ignoring the few Microsoft developed games, most of these I can probably buy for a few euros or dollars during a random sale.

    Google need new games to make this program succeeded and since you aren't running the games on a console (which gamepass is) I expect that google needs a much more powerful service to be able to stream the games.

    I wouldn't be surprised though that Google sells this service at below cost-point just so they can break in.

  14. #14
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    13,020
    Wow cool another system thats gonna flop in a month to add to the rip pile. They have enough money and brand power to make a real console

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    If I look at the gamepass games, ignoring the few Microsoft developed games, most of these I can probably buy for a few euros or dollars during a random sale.

    Google need new games to make this program succeeded and since you aren't running the games on a console (which gamepass is) I expect that google needs a much more powerful service to be able to stream the games.

    I wouldn't be surprised though that Google sells this service at below cost-point just so they can break in.
    If the service has interesting games that are interesting and the service is solid they could price match and be fine... What we've seen so far is only proof of concepts and 2 titles. They need more or it's a waste of a service.

  16. #16
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,243
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    If the service has interesting games that are interesting and the service is solid they could price match and be fine... What we've seen so far is only proof of concepts and 2 titles. They need more or it's a waste of a service.
    We'll probably get more titles announced at E3

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Wow cool another system thats gonna flop in a month to add to the rip pile. They have enough money and brand power to make a real console
    This is not a short term play. They need titles and a solid service and then game streaming makes sense. Consoles limit gaming adoption. If you have a thin client that performs well, you open up AAA gaming to way more people.

    As it stands, Google has not shown us anything particularly special as we have no specifics on titles, cost, latency, etc...

  18. #18
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The land of ports
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    This is not a short term play. They need titles and a solid service and then game streaming makes sense. Consoles limit gaming adoption. If you have a thin client that performs well, you open up AAA gaming to way more people.

    As it stands, Google has not shown us anything particularly special as we have no specifics on titles, cost, latency, etc...
    Time to play some games! Oops im lagging or my internet is out guess ill just sit in my chair.

    Streaming games is and will always be terrible.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    We'll probably get more titles announced at E3
    Probably? They would have had to reach out to studios way earlier than now to get things for E3. If this was the dev pitch, which it seems to be, they're only going to have a very limited amount of titles at E3.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Time to play some games! Oops im lagging or my internet is out guess ill just sit in my chair.

    Streaming games is and will always be terrible.
    That's why I don't see this being better than what the X-Cloud offering is going to be. Predictive modeling + offline capabilities will set X-Cloud apart.

  20. #20
    So google wants to recycle all those dusty chromecasts and keep a tighter hold on the streaming ecosystem after youtube gaming flopped compared to twitch. Shocking. I expected ouya 2 and thats about what we will get.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •