Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Probably? They would have had to reach out to studios way earlier than now to get things for E3. If this was the dev pitch, which it seems to be, they're only going to have a very limited amount of titles at E3.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I don't see this being better than what the X-Cloud offering is going to be. Predictive modeling + offline capabilities will set X-Cloud apart.
    they said they have 100 dev teams working with them, and id said they got doom eternal working in just a couple weeks, so it's not implausable by any means that we'll probably have more titles at e3.

Latency still says no to streaming games. When they showed AC it was so obvious how the mouse/joypad movements were lagging behind the output on the screen I was facepalming to the fact they are even showing this... it was so OBVIOUS laggy. Shame they are wasting millions on something that is happening too soon. We would need unified, as in same speed/latency for everyone, internet all over the globe and WAY more nodes than their tiny 7500 lol. More like 75k to make this closer to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    they said they have 100 dev teams working with them, and id said they got doom eternal working in just a couple weeks, so it's not implausable by any means that we'll probably have more titles at e3.
    Doom Eternal was already being written with Vulkan. If a game isn't then there's going to be a bunch of dev overhead getting a game onto Stadia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably? They would have had to reach out to studios way earlier than now to get things for E3. If this was the dev pitch, which it seems to be, they're only going to have a very limited amount of titles at E3.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I don't see this being better than what the X-Cloud offering is going to be. Predictive modeling + offline capabilities will set X-Cloud apart.
    I just find it ironic that we finally have a nerdy company wanting to get in games, but is so out of touch to what we actually want. Microsoft 2013 redux

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I just find it ironic that we finally have a nerdy company wanting to get in games, but is so out of touch to what we actually want. Microsoft 2013 redux
    They need a Phil Spencer

It's also super ironic that most of the things Microsoft wanted to do in 2013 are basically what people want now... their messaging was awful, but the ideas were/are solid.

- - - Updated - - -

This feels very accurate
    https://twitter.com/MindHead1/status...69228807184385
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 06:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    They need a Phil Spencer

It's also super ironic that most of the things Microsoft wanted to do in 2013 are basically what people want now... their messaging was awful, but the ideas were/are solid.

- - - Updated - - -

This feels very accurate
    https://twitter.com/MindHead1/status...69228807184385
    I dont, but im a traditionalist when it comes to games. I want offline single player games playing natively with a controller

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Latency still says no to streaming games. When they showed AC it was so obvious how the mouse/joypad movements were lagging behind the output on the screen I was facepalming to the fact they are even showing this... it was so OBVIOUS laggy. Shame they are wasting millions on something that is happening too soon. We would need unified, as in same speed/latency for everyone, internet all over the globe and WAY more nodes than their tiny 7500 lol. More like 75k to make this closer to reality.
    The funny thing is that we have the technology and infrastructure to have faster connections with less latancy. Japan has internet that makes US service look stupid. It's just the internet provider companies throttling the speed so they can sell "upgrades".

I wonder what will happen if a company as large as Google starts exerting pressure in order to make their services work better?

I dont, but im a traditionalist when it comes to games. I want offline single player games playing natively with a controller
    And that's why Microsoft and Sony are still coming out with consoles that are still going to have physical media next gen.

15+ Year Old Account
    And that's why Microsoft and Sony are still coming out with consoles that are still going to have physical media next gen.
    Well yeah im grateful, but the push for streaming subs by everybody is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The funny thing is that we have the technology and infrastructure to have faster connections with less latancy. Japan has internet that makes US service look stupid. It's just the internet provider companies throttling the speed so they can sell "upgrades".

I wonder what will happen if a company as large as Google starts exerting pressure in order to make their services work better?
    To be fair... Bandwidth != latency. Game streaming shouldn't be much worse bandwidth wise than watching a youtube video. Latency is more where the datacenters are located. Japan is a much smaller country than the US so latency will be less.

This is also why companies like Microsoft, Google and Amazon are really the only companies that can really pull this off cost effectively.

So for years they try to sell low ms mice and monitors to reduce input lag, then expect us to game on a streaming machine?

What if I have 3 people that want to play at the same time? What if I have someone watching 4k netflix at the same time? What if I have low bandwidth or a metered connection? What if I live in the country? Can I use this with my satellite internet?

I understand this box is absolutely not for me. However, I wonder who it is for. Someone who has very fast internet but can't afford an xbox for 199?(but can afford this for who knows the cost)

I do not like the fact that one day a decent game will be on this thing and it will be streaming only. That won't add gamers, it will reduce them, because I won't be playing it, but whatever.

Well yeah im grateful, but the push for streaming subs by everybody is annoying.
    Change is hard... but streaming is more about opening up gaming to a larger audience. There will always be people like yourself that want something physical, but if you can make a cheap enough service that actually works, you'll eat into traditional console sales. Next Gen is going to be a transitional generation, but I'd expect the majority of sales in the generation after that to be via streaming services.

Change is hard... but streaming is more about opening up gaming to a larger audience. There will always be people like yourself that want something physical, but if you can make a cheap enough service that actually works, you'll eat into traditional console sales. Next Gen is going to be a transitional generation, but I'd expect the majority of sales in the generation after that to be via streaming services.
    Yeah, I doubt it. We'll see though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    So for years they try to sell low ms mice and monitors to reduce input lag, then expect us to game on a streaming machine?

What if I have 3 people that want to play at the same time? What if I have someone watching 4k netflix at the same time? What if I have low bandwidth or a metered connection? What if I live in the country? Can I use this with my satellite internet?

I understand this box is absolutely not for me. However, I wonder who it is for. Someone who has very fast internet but can't afford an xbox for 199?(but can afford this for who knows the cost)

I do not like the fact that one day a decent game will be on this thing and it will be streaming only. That won't add gamers, it will reduce them, because I won't be playing it, but whatever.
    Fast internet isn't really required. Low latency or predictive modeling is. Think about phones and tablets.

15+ Year Old Account
    Idc about physical, i just want native play so im not at the mercy of my isp or their servers. Not to mention i couldnt afford it if everybody had a streaming service. I cant do netflix, crunchyroll, vrv, funimation, disney, hulu etc

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Yeah, I doubt it. We'll see though.
    9 years is a long time.

Time to play some games! Oops im lagging or my internet is out guess ill just sit in my chair.

Streaming games is and will always be terrible.
    I see it the same way with movie streaming too. Suddenly a movie or series disappears from Netflix and i am screwed. Lag is always gonna be far worse on games than movies too. Input lag will always exist and it's awful. Nothing sucks more that 100+ms response times on literally everything you do.

To be fair... Bandwidth != latency. Game streaming shouldn't be much worse bandwidth wise than watching a youtube video. Latency is more where the datacenters are located. Japan is a much smaller country than the US so latency will be less.

This is also why companies like Microsoft, Google and Amazon are really the only companies that can really pull this off cost effectively.
    True on the bandwidth, but while video isn't affected by latency at all, gaming is more affected by latency than any online activity.

A youtube video can buffer. A game doesn't know what your screen will look like in 10 seconds, 5 seconds, or less. It is much more reliant on second to second latency where a streaming service like youtube or netflix allows buffering a few minutes ahead for a very good reason. To iron out fluctuations in the network and provide a smooth experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Fast internet isn't really required. Low latency or predictive modeling is. Think about phones and tablets.
    I have a feeling your definition of fast internet is not the definition of fast internet where I live. Also predictive modeling is not necessarily a good then when perhaps devs will need to start building their games with streaming in mind. It's also a big phrase for something really simple, which is also an insufficient answer to my assertion that buffering isn't applicable to a gaming scenario except under very specific conditions and is just a fake answer to an unanswerable question. Also when you wrote "think about phones and tablets" what does that mean?

Why should we accept the downgrade to gaming? Is there anyone here who would rather have a worse experience and stream their video games and pay a monthly fee? What about pro gamers? Is this not a box for casuals who don't want to invest that much in gaming? What is it for but to widen the tent of gaming, but to who? Who can't afford a 200 dollar xbox but can afford low latency high bandwidth internet and this box at the same time and would rather pay a monthly fee for mostly crappy games instead of buying good ones they choose? I'm not sold.

I understand why the corporations want to sell it. To make money. I just don't know why anyone would want to buy it. They should have done a real box that also streams.

Another really silly thing, look at the steam streaming machine over the local network. I got one of those to stream over my own local network(not even using the Internet) the Witcher 3 from my PC to my TV. It SUCKED. I mean sucked bigtime compared to playing directly off my PC(worse picture quality, slightly higher latency, completely unacceptable). If they can't even make it stream properly over a local network, then how does this work like magic over the internet.

If I hooked this up at my house it wouldn't even work.

If I had to play every game with 50ms WoW latency, I would quit gaming. I accept it in WoW only because it is an online game. I will not accept added internet latency in single player offline games.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-03-19 at 07:27 PM.

Idc about physical, i just want native play so im not at the mercy of my isp or their servers. Not to mention i couldnt afford it if everybody had a streaming service. I cant do netflix, crunchyroll, vrv, funimation, disney, hulu etc
    Well, that's why I think Microsoft's attempts at this will be better received. Google has no backup if the network goes down... X-Cloud will offer a lower resolution game if the internet goes out.

I highly highly doubt it. Gaming has only just tipped more towards buying digital game sales this generation let alone streaming games and I think you vastly overestimate how good streaming is going to get, also, these people who can't afford physical hardware will most likely not be able to afford a sub fee consistently for this or even an ISP with a consistent internet connection to play. Streaming games is just the worst.

On top of all of this. You don't even own anything. That's the worst part.