Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Tinder dumps ELO matchmaking

Tinder has revealed that it no longer relies on its top-secret "Elo" desirability score to create matches. Instead, it apparently uses a new algorithm that sounds very similar to the old one, with the most important parameter being how much you use the app. Despite saying "the case has been solved," Tinder didn't really describe exactly how the new system works, leaving jilted users to (once again) speculate on why they're failing to, well, score.

In 2016, Tinder CEO Sean Rad told Fast Co. that the Elo score -- inspired by chess rankings -- was based on "desirability." Product VP Jonathan Badeen related it to Warcraft, saying "whenever you play somebody with a really high score, you end up gaining more points than if you played someone with a lower score." In other words, if you liked a more desirable person and they liked you back, your Elo ranking got a bump. Then, presumably, you would start to see more attractive matches.

A few years ago, the idea of an "Elo score" was a hot topic among users and media alike. And sometimes, it still is. Here's the scoop: Elo is old news at Tinder. It's an outdated measure and our cutting-edge technology no longer relies on it.

Unlike other dating sites, Tinder profiles have relatively few details, so matches are largely based on the profile photo -- attractiveness, in other words. As Tinder never revealed its secret algorithmic sauce, that led many users to wonder why they weren't getting the types of matches they expected.

Now, the company said in a blog post, "our current system adjusts the potential matches you see each and every time your profile is Liked or Noped, and any changes to the order of your potential matches are reflected within 24 hours or so." So in other words, it's still based on who swipes right on you, but Tinder won't say exactly how. It also added that its algorithms don't store data about "whether you're black, white magenta or blue," or how much money you make.

Despite the vague explanation, Tinder said "The case has been solved: Tinder matches you, using your recent activity, your preferences and your location." The main thing we can discern is that the changes seem designed to boost engagement, given that Tinder said it rewards folks who use the app more. That, in turn, would help it boost in-app "Super Like" purchases and profile boosts -- in other words, to increase revenue.
    Source: https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/18/...bility-scores/

You know things are bad when WoW's matchmaking creates an ELO hell in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    You know things are bad when WoW's matchmaking creates an ELO hell in real life.
    WoWs matchmaking ELO hell, LoL's ELO hell, and Tinders ELO hell are as much "in real life" as each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    What did the Electric Light Orchestra do to Tinder?

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured Tinder is primarily a place to photograph your genitals in hopes someone swipes something lol. Hard to believe much else is involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    What did the Electric Light Orchestra do to Tinder?
    Lmao love this comment.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If I still used tinder, I'd rather not see troglodytes and fatties but attractive and fit women. Since I put the work in to be in shape and am somewhat attractive( as I've been told) Id expect to be matched with the same.

A land whale shouldnt expect channing tatum and a "comic book guy" shouldnt expect scarlett jo

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    If I still used tinder, I'd rather not see troglodytes and fatties but attractive and fit women. Since I put the work in to be in shape and am somewhat attractive( as I've been told) Id expect to be matched with the same.

A land whale shouldnt expect channing tatum and a "comic book guy" shouldnt expect scarlett jo
    Stop it with your fatphobia. You can't tell people people what's attractive and what's not. You sound conceited and self-centered, no wonder Tinder won't match you with people with positive vibes.

I love tinder xD

Stop it with your fatphobia. You can't tell people people what's attractive and what's not. You sound conceited and self-centered, no wonder Tinder won't match you with people with positive vibes.
    Spent the last few years partying myself to a glorious beerbelly, intead of fucken moaning about people not wanting to bone me I sorted out my fucken diet and started working out. Worked wonders. Attractiveness is subjective, yes, but it's also a bit of a majority decision. Fat people aren't attractive to most, as such they really shouldn't expect anything from anyone.

Tinder is pretty shit either way. A lot of soldiers from USA, who mostly are just looking to get laid and even if they're looking for a relationship, it's not even worth going for it because they'll leave at some point in the future, so not worth putting any effort into trying to date them either. Then a lot of locals, most who are too ugly to even consider or have bad attitudes or otherwise have something that makes them not relationship material.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2019-03-19 at 08:29 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao the ELO hell part

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post

Well looks like the app is matching you accordingly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Tinder is pretty shit either way. A lot of soldiers from USA, who mostly are just looking to get laid and even if they're looking for a relationship, it's not even worth going for it because they'll leave at some point in the future, so not worth putting any effort into trying to date them either. Then a lot of locals, most who are too ugly to even consider or have bad attitudes or otherwise have something that makes them not relationship material.
    Superficial physical attraction or a stable relationship, your choice. Since you seem to favor the former, I'm not so sure who has a bad attitude here.

I've only used dating website to troll like setting up profiles for anime characters and such. I did one for yugi muto because I was bored. "What are you intrested in? Childrens card games". "what would you do to save the world... Win at childrens card games".

I kind of want to know what my elo is but trollings a lot more fun.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-03-19 at 08:41 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Superficial physical attraction or a stable relationship, your choice. Since you seem to favor the former, I'm not so sure who has a bad attitude here.
    Lmao, you wouldn't be with someone who repulses you either.

Basically, keep swiping right on everyone! You will win the numbers game of getting extra swipes and match with hotter chicks
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Pillerina View Post
    Spent the last few years partying myself to a glorious beerbelly, intead of fucken moaning about people not wanting to bone me I sorted out my fucken diet and started working out. Worked wonders. Attractiveness is subjective, yes, but it's also a bit of a majority decision. Fat people aren't attractive to most, as such they really shouldn't expect anything from anyone.
    Sounds to me like you need to step up your game or try another way of meeting women, if all you're getting matched to are "land whales" (your words).

Lmao, you wouldn't be with someone who repulses you either.
    There's a huge difference between being repulsed by people who don't take care of their hygiene (a small % overall) and being repulsed by large swathes of your own nation. Being Korean yourself and yet finding Korean people unattractive is as bigoted and hypocritical as it gets.

Superficial physical attraction or a stable relationship, your choice.
    Its not necessarily an "either/or".
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Sounds to me like you need to step up your game or try another way of meeting women, if all you're getting matched to are "land whales" (your words).
    I love how this comment backfired. I'm gonna make a fake dating profile for violence jack causes he really respects women. The first male anime feminst.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

There's a huge difference between being repulsed by people who don't take care of their hygiene (a small % overall) and being repulsed by large swathes of your own nation. Being Korean yourself and yet finding Korean people unattractive is as bigoted and hypocritical as it gets.
    You should look up what bigotry or hypocritical means. Because neither applies here.

I find these posts suspicious because I find it hard to believe that there's all these women/men out there who are 9/10s with good attitudes and are relationship material who are having a hard time finding what they want. Most of the time, I see posts like this from individuals who think they are great but in reality, have some serious personality defects that they refuse to acknowledge. Which is where the "woe is me, it's everyone else's fault" shitty attitude comes from.