Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Greece condemns Erdogan’s threats and hate speech

ARTICLE

The Greek Foreign Ministry has issued a stern announcement in the wake of Turkish President Erdogan’s rhetoric and threats made during his campaign speech for the upcoming March 31 elections.

Erdogan spoke of the terrorist attack in New Zealand which left 50 people dead, saying it was as part of a wider attack on Turkey and threatened to send people back in “coffins” if they attempt to turn Istanbul into Constantinople.

During his speech, Erdogan presented excerpts from the “manifesto” and told the crowd, “We have been here for 1000 years and we will be here until the apocalypse, which is the will of God,” he said after he repeatedly showed video footage of the Christchurch mosque attacks during the election rally.

The rally coincided with the commemoration of the 1915 Gallipoli campaign during the first world war, when Ottoman soldiers defeated British-led forces including Australian and New Zealand troops trying to seize the peninsula, a gateway to Constantinople.

“You will not turn Istanbul into Constantinople,” he said, adding, “Your grandparents came here … and they returned in caskets. Have no doubt we will send you back like your grandfathers.”

The Turkish leader then went on to refer to the defeat of the Greek army in 1922, “Izmir, you who throw the giaours (non- Muslims) in the sea and protect the helpless,” he said, in reference to Greeks who drowned while trying to flee a fire set by Turks.

Greece’s Foreign Ministry responded with a statement: “Greece is not going to be swept away in the instrumentalisation of foreign policy to serve domestic political expediencies, or use history with terms that are offensive to neighbouring countries. Such unacceptable references undermine the trust we hope to build between our countries and are not in line with the European perspective that the Turkish leadership claims to support.”
    Sometimes, I feel things never change. This is a very loaded speech for both my country (Romania) and our Greek friends to the south. Erdogan called us "giaours". This is how the Ottomans called us for centuries while occupying our lands, kidnapping our youth, raping our women. It's pretty much the N word, used for white Christians, and it has historical connotations of the worst kind.

It's not that I'm "offended". I'm saddened, because I deeply want to put history where it belongs, in the past. I never considered Turks our enemies, they're not responsible for the deeds of their ancestors.

This is just fanning the flames of conflict for no effing reason whatsoever. Just... why?
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself - Friedrich NietzscheRudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    This is just fanning the flames of conflict for no effing reason whatsoever. Just... why?
    Simple politics, as long as you can put the blame on others or create a sense of superiority in your population it is much easier to stay in power.

Who is Palpatine Erdogan even trying to address with that speech? Does he think that the far right or alt-right is some huge military power capable of taking on a NATO regional power?

Warchief
    Erdogan deserves a bullet to the head. He is a danger to the future of a secular Turkey, as he is trying to rule like a sultan. He's basically just a fucking dictator at this point.

this is why this world will never amount to anything as long as religion exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Who is Palpatine Erdogan even trying to address with that speech? Does he think that the far right or alt-right is some huge military power capable of taking on a NATO regional power?
    He is only ever addressing his own people.

The Unstoppable Force
    So, if it won't be Constantinople again that means there's a chance it can be Byzantion again?

Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-03-19 at 10:04 PM.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

You create a scapegoat to blame your problems on, or an enemy to rally against. Make the voter base believe you're the one to solve the issue. Win the election with ease. That's like politics 101. Ask Hitler, or Trump. It works well. Jews stole your jobs! Mexicans will rape and murder you! Muslims want to blow you up! Christians going to invade! It's all the same. And it's just depressing how well it works. But, alas, people are sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyGary View Post
    You create a scapegoat to blame your problems on, or an enemy to rally against. Make the voter base believe you're the one to solve the issue. Win the election with ease. That's like politics 101. Ask Hitler, or Trump. It works well. Jews stole your jobs! Mexicans will rape and murder you! Muslims want to blow you up! Christians going to invade! It's all the same. And it's just depressing how well it works. But, alas, people are sheep.
    Problem is, looking at the Armenians, Anatolian Greeks, Assyrians, and Kurds, Turkey has a habit of mass-murdering its scapegoats.
    No ideology has been more murderous or detrimental to human dignity than Communism
    Oh my...

Genocide makes me sad

I still cannot fathom how he is trying to present Turkish conduct in the Great Fire of Smyrna as a point of national pride. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I still cannot fathom how he is trying to present Turkish conduct in the Great Fire of Smyrna as a point of national pride. . .
    I guess in some cultures butchering refugees crowded onto docks and kicking a priest's head in the street like a soccer ball is something worthy of pride.

Or they conveniently white-wash the event like they do the Armenian Genocide, Pontic Genocide, and every other act of collective brutality that's happened there.
    Oh my...

Because he's an Islamist pushing his extremist agenda, and extremists are very prone to racism, religious and ethno-nationalism. It's not surprising in the slightest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Local elections are in ~10 days and he is trying everything he can to win from calling everyone from opposing parties terrorists to playing the victim. From the very start he has been pushing the argument that these elections -although they are mayoral- are a matter of subsistence and this whole "They are targeting us!" talk plays into that.

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    Local elections are in ~10 days and he is trying everything he can to win from calling everyone from opposing parties terrorists to playing the victim. From the very start he has been pushing the argument that these elections -although they are mayoral- are a matter of subsistence and this whole "They are targeting us!" talk plays into that.
    I get that, but to win an election, he is playing with a raging fire that was clearly never completely extinguished in this area and should be left untouched so time does its job and fully puts it away. He cannot be such an idiot to not understand what he is messing with. This is a hell that should be left alone, it's a thing of the past, history.

The first time I've read the article I was so angry at how foolish this idiot is thinking he can ride the wave of hate and control it, a wave which will swallow him together with thousands of others if allowed to grow, that I've even missed the part where he:

- read the manifesto to hell knows how many angry Turks
    - showed the video feed of the terror attack "repeatedly"

This is just insanity. We have achieved peace in this area, and while there are some flares of violence, it's mostly a thing of the past. You don't try to summon the demons that we won over. You leave them alone.

Peace is fragile and incredibly precious. You don't ever play with it. It's not a game.
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself - Friedrich NietzscheRudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    Didn't he practically get rid of democracy already?

He is a scumbag. He is responsible for the deterioration of Turkey's reputation. He is responsible for his crimes against humanity. I will live to see him tried in Haque.

He is pulling every scumbag far-right/ religious bullshit card in order win the local elections for his party.
    As he is about to lose both Ankara and Istanbul. You guys have no idea how much shit and smear the opposition deal with every day.
    Can you imagine a president calling everybody TERRORIST for not voting his party? Does European media talks about the bullshit he pulls off everyday?
    He controls %99 the media. All his speeches are given live. He is there from morning to evening. Impossible to not see him. All day smear. He fucked up the economy so hard and does not take any responsibility. He keeps blaming "opposition and foreign powers" on everything. And there are actually delusional people who really thinks the opposition party chief, is the president of Turkey and ask him to leave the presidency for Erdogan. Those people think Erdogan is not the president but he is fighting for it.
    The retardism going on in the country's %50 of AKP voters are on an unmatched levels.

Did you know that the credit note of the city Izmir is much higher than Turkeys and people are enjoying a high standard of living and it is lead by CHP for years? He is afraid to lose Istanbul and Ankara after 22 years, because if opposition gets a hold of these cities, people will gradually understand and his party of religious morons will be gone for sure. People started to wake up because of horrible economy. Unemployment is off the charts and because of inflation, government started to sell vegetables on regulated prices kicking groceries etc out of the picture. It is simply terrible.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I am Turkish and closely follow what is happening.
    Last edited by Gref; 2019-03-20 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Feel free to ask me any questions. I am Turkish and closely follow what is happening.
    I don't have much to ask, just wanna tell you good luck in all this crap. Don't give in to hate, these are demons of a past that should no longer be relevant, Turkey is a modern country that can have a spot in the EU and be a bridge towards the Muslim word. What happened hundreds of years ago should not be unearthed, there was far too much suffering and destruction, and for what? Nobody achieved anything through it.

Hope you guys manage to get rid of him by yourselves and win over the pointless hate.

Oh, and be careful and stay safe. These dictators always try to silence people that don't cower at their feet.

@CryotriX Thank you and No, never ever believed into his crap. Since high school. Now I am 32. Nothing changed. I knew back than they were religious fascists , and I still hold that opinion. His base is voting for him for either hardcore religious reasons or economic profits they gain, like tenured spots in offices etc. Scumbags, all of them. But no matter what happens, when he cannot even feed his own base, he will be taken out of his palace by his very own base.