1. #1

    Building a new pc need recommendations please

    Include the following information when posting a request.


    Budget:
    $1,400

    Resolution
    1080p

    Games / Settings Desired
    LoL, Apex, PUBG

    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    No

    Country
    U.S
    Parts that can be reused
    No

    Do you need an OS?
    Yes

    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    No


    Hi, I am building a new PC and I would like to get some advise on what I currently have in mind:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cB9DRJ

    I am just not sure about the cooler that I have picked, and the motherboard. Would there be a better recommendation for the build?

  2. #2
    The cooler is a little anemic. The 2600 comes with a stock cooler that is every bit as good as that Noctua. That Noctua is meant for HTPC and super-small ITX uses.

    If you want to overclock, you're going to have to step up to something a tad beefier.

    The PSU was fine, but overkill, IMO. You're paying for the EVGA sticker and the 2% extra efficiency of Gold. Seasonic makes a good modular 80+ Bronze PSU at 650W that is about 30$ cheaper.

    Motherboard seems fine, though someone with more experience using Ryzen may have more info there.

  3. #3
    I'd suggest investing in a 2700 or 2700X and a H80i AIO CPU cooler. other than that your build looks spot on, I have used that board in a clients build and it a solid board with good overclocking.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($359.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($97.06 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1378.95
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-20 22:23 EDT-0400

  4. #4
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    9,192
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($359.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ B&H)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1337.81
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 01:32 EDT-0400

    CPU upgrade to 2700x
    Cooler upgrade from sub-stock to the best air cooler on the market. It'll also out perform any AiO that's less than 280mm while being substantially cheaper. As for what col1kil said: Don't buy a 120mm AiO. They're pointless. Worse than big air coolers, more expensive, louder, and have more points of failure
    Changed board to an MSI, because the tomahawk is one of the best B450 boards on the market. It lacks some features the STRIX has, but it's really up to you if you need those.
    Changed case to fit the cooler
    Changed PSU to a more efficient SeaSonic unit that's on sale at the moment for cheaper than the one you picked

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($359.99 @ B&H)
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ B&H)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1337.81
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 01:32 EDT-0400

    CPU upgrade to 2700x
    Cooler upgrade from sub-stock to the best air cooler on the market. It'll also out perform any AiO that's less than 280mm while being substantially cheaper. As for what col1kil said: Don't buy a 120mm AiO. They're pointless. Worse than big air coolers, more expensive, louder, and have more points of failure
    Changed board to an MSI, because the tomahawk is one of the best B450 boards on the market. It lacks some features the STRIX has, but it's really up to you if you need those.
    Changed case to fit the cooler
    Changed PSU to a more efficient SeaSonic unit that's on sale at the moment for cheaper than the one you picked
    while your entitled to your opinion on AIO's, My experience building several systems a year over the last several years with them has shown them to be just as quiet after 2 mins of tuning to turn them down to 70% - 80% speed, while they do have more points of failure the failure chance is very low on modern AIO's as the technology has improved alot. as for large air coolers cooling better than 120mm AIO, that can be true but they can present the issue of interference with VRM heatsinks, PCI-e slots, and Ram slots.
    @Pwnzyou: Both options are good and it will come down to your personal preferences. As for the MSI Tomahawk Temp Name is correct in that it has great OC'ing potential due to the massive VRM heatsinks but the silicon lottery with the CPU will be the ultimate limiting factor on max overclock. So for the Mobo pick the one you like and that matches the theme your going for.
    Last edited by col1kill; 2019-03-21 at 12:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by col1kill View Post
    while your entitled to your opinion on AIO's, My experience building several systems a year over the last several years with them has shown them to be just as quiet after 2 mins of tuning to turn them down to 70% - 80% speed, while they do have more points of failure the failure chance is very low on modern AIO's as the technology has improved alot. as for large air coolers cooling better than 120mm AIO, that can be true but they can present the issue of interference with VRM heatsinks, PCI-e slots, and Ram slots.
    It's louder per unit area it has, that's just how it works.
    A 120mm AiO needs a fan and a pump. A small air cooler just needs the fan, therefore, it's quieter.
    A 240mm AiO needs 2 fans and a pump. A large air cooler just needs 2 fans, again, quieter.

    If you really want the quietness from AiO/liquid, you need a bigger radiator so you can run the pump and fans at lower speeds.
    Not to say AiO's are loud, they're just louder than equivalent air coolers.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Kind of an unpopular opinion around here, but you can get a very comparable system for the same dollar amount pre-built with a warranty in less time that buying the individual parts. Just throwing it out there that pre-built is a legit option these days, you don't get raked over the coals quite so much as you used too.

    https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step4?pr...aft=8486489086

    Case: NZXT H500
    Cooling: Cryorig H7
    MoBo: MSI X470 Gaming+
    GPU: MSI 2060 6g OC
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
    Power: Seasonic 620w Bronze
    Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) GSkill TridentZ RBG 3200MHz
    Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB & Seagate Barracude 1TB

    $1388
    Still more expensive than building it and it comes with worse parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

  8. #8
    Legendary! Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    6,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Still more expensive than building it and it comes with worse parts.
    'Comparable'. But I deleted the post, you're quick.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

    Sovereign
    Mass Effect

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    'Comparable'. But I deleted the post, you're quick.
    Right, and I was doing the comparison part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnzyou View Post
    Include the following information when posting a request.


    Budget:
    $1,400

    Resolution
    1080p

    Games / Settings Desired
    LoL, Apex, PUBG

    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    No

    Country
    U.S
    Parts that can be reused
    No

    Do you need an OS?
    Yes

    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    No


    Hi, I am building a new PC and I would like to get some advise on what I currently have in mind:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cB9DRJ

    I am just not sure about the cooler that I have picked, and the motherboard. Would there be a better recommendation for the build?
    I would suggest next build:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($165.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Samsung)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($359.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1403.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 11:43 EDT-0400

    I upgraded cpu to Ryzen 7 and put Noctua 120mm tower cpu cooler which is enough for that cpu. Also I put faster memory, on 3200 MHz with CL 14 timings, fast NVMe M.2 SSD and Seagate Baracuda Pro hdd which should be faster and have longer guarantee.
    I put a cheaper motherboard in order to fit into budget, still its full ATX mobo with all features, just mby a bit lower maximum overclock.
    Last edited by pedja5; 2019-03-21 at 04:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •