Deer Park, Texas tanks burned for days releasing elevated levels of benzene

I'll be curious to find out how this occurred and if it was due to neglect or an actual accident. This is why certain industries need strict regulations. Hopefully, everyone takes steps and gets the hell out of the area. I wouldn't be sticking around, and go visit family for at least a week.

https://abc13.com/shelter-in-place-f...t-itc/5209552/
    DEER PARK, Texas (KTRK) -- A shelter-in-place has been issued for Deer Park and Galena Park due to elevated levels of benzene at the ITC facility, where tanks burned for days.

Galena Park has issued a shelter-in-place out of an abundance of caution.

The ITC tank fire burned as many as eight tanks from Sunday to Wednesday. It briefly re-ignited later Wednesday but was contained within about 30 seconds, the city's government Twitter account said.

Outside of the immediate area, officials are not seeing elevated readings of benzene in the air, Hidalgo said. They are seeing a downward trend in samples, she added.

"We want to emphasize our primary concern is the health and safety of our community. In line with that, the vast majority of our community has low risk, very low risk from what's happening. The judge is referring to the residents just around the facility, in Deer Park. It's absolutely critical that much of our community has very low risk," said Dr. Umair Shah, executive director at Harris County Public Health.

Harris County officials said the National Guard and hazardous materials teams have established perimeters around the incident site to identify and analyze air quality readings in real time.

The fire has created concern about the air quality from residents in the area due to the thick, black smoke from the fire.

Environmental groups said residents who live near the facility have experienced various symptoms, including headaches, nausea, and nose bleeds. According to the Centers for Disease Control, long-term exposure to the highly flammable chemical causes harmful effects on the blood, including bone marrow.

Some residents who live near the storage facility said Wednesday they didn't have confidence in the air quality test results.

"Everything has been wrapped up in this nice perfect bow in saying that there were no problems. Every air quality was perfect. Every wind was perfect blowing it away. And if everything was so perfect, why did it happen?" longtime Deer Park resident Terri Garcia said.

Things from my memory are always exploding or some shit in Texas and typically because of really laxed and loose regulations to go with lower taxes. That’s my guess.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh