1. #1

    Need help/recommendations upgrading my PC

    Hey guys,

    I'm looking for help to upgrade my PC which is over 4 years old now. Looking for a build that can help me through the next 4-5 years.

    My current setup:
    Case: Cooler Master CM Force 500
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4570, s1150
    Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS,s1150
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600-8GB (2x4GB)
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO, 250GB
    HDD: Western Digital Blue, 1TB, 3.5"
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming,3GB
    Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO


    Budget
    €1000,-

    Resolution
    1080p.

    Games / Settings Desired
    Atm currently playing BFV, stepped down from WoW for now, but I do return to WoW quiet often. So mainly Shooters and WoW. I do wish to play them on very high quality if it's possible.

    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Nope.

    Country
    The Netherlands.

    Parts that can be reused
    Anything that is worth keeping from my current build.

    Do you need an OS?
    Yes, but it can be added on top of the budget.

    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    Nope.


    I'm curious as to what you guys suggest and want to thank you in advance.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm not looking for a prefabricated PC, as I feel like those are always overpriced, and also for the fact that I do believe some parts in my current build can be used again.

  4. #4
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    9,208
    If you wanna replace everything:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (€179.00 @ Paradigit)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (€109.00 @ Paradigit)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€139.00 @ Paradigit)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€89.00 @ Paradigit)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (€389.00 @ Paradigit)
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ Paradigit)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€84.99 @ Paradigit)
    Total: €1069.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 21:01 CET+0100

    As for keeping things:
    You can easily keep your storage, there should be no issue in that. Do a clean install of Windows (or not) and off you go.
    PSU is also fine to keep, it's not the best power supply out there, but it probably won't blow up.
    Graphics card: If you're fine with med-low settings, you can keep it.
    CPU: New games are getting to the point where 4 cores and threads just aren't really enough, I wouldn't suggest it. MOBO and RAM goes with CPU
    Case: There's no real reason to get rid of it if it works and you still like it.


    Things I'd upgrade if you keep stuff (meaning more budget)
    #1 - CPU. CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€219.00 @ Paradigit) is a €40 upgrade that'll give you a decent performance bump. I'd normally recommend an 8400 from Intel for WoW gaming, but holy fuck those are expensive in The Netherlands
    #2 - Case. I just don't like the Force 500. Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (€49.95 @ Paradigit) is a decent case for cheap
    #3 - CPU cooler. While the included one is good enough, something like a Dark Rock Pro 4, or NH-D15 are heaps better, and way quieter. Which one you should get depends on your case, not all cases can fit the big ones
    #4 - After market fans. Noctua or be quiet! fans are high performance enough and quiet as balls

  5. #5
    I think you should keep your: case, ssd, hdd and power supply.

    So for rest of parts:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€269.00 @ Paradigit)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler (€59.99 @ Paradigit)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (€109.00 @ Paradigit)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€159.00 @ Paradigit)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card (€429.00 @ Paradigit)
    Total: €1025.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 02:31 CET+0100

    Just check in store if this Noctua NH-U12S cooler already have mouting kit for AM4, cause if it doesn't you will have to order if from Noctua, its free of charge tho.
    https://noctua.at/en/how-can-i-check...mounting-parts
    https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-co...s-mounting-kit
    There is also a version of this cooler which can be used only on AM4 socket only, but its not in stock https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/product/...story_days=730
    Last edited by pedja5; 2019-03-22 at 01:46 AM.

  6. #6
    Thank you both for you replies.

    I see you both recommend an AMD CPU, is that purely based on the price of Intel's in my country, or that you think AMD is simply better?
    I'm using an Intel CPU atm and kind of want to stick with that, I'm sorry if I didn't mention that.

    I also have been doing some research and asked some other friends about opinions and try to make a build on pcpartpicker.

    Initially I wanted to keep my Case and CPU cooler, but I heard the Cooler wasn't too good and see you both replaced it in your builds. Whilst making a list on PCpartpicker I saw my current Case is not compatible with the items I listed, so that has to replaced too. So I went over budget creating a list, and only my Power Supply, and optionally HDD will be reused in this build.

    Build I came up with after seeing both your builds and doing some research:

    CPU Intel® Core i5-9600K, 3.7 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1151 (€289,- @Alternate.nl)
    CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cpu-cooler (€84,90 @Alternate.nl)
    Motherboard MSI Z390-A PRO, socket 1151 (€139,- @Alternate.nl)
    Memory Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3000 Kit (€116,90 @Alternate.nl)
    Video Card GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G (€299,- @Alternate.nl)
    SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD (€119,- @Bol.com)
    HDD Western Digital Blue, 1TB, 3.5" From current build
    Power Supply Corsair CX 750W From current build
    Case Corsair Obsidian 750D ATX Full Tower Case (€137,90 @Alternate.nl)
    Total €1185,70

    So I put in a Be quiet! Cooler as Temp Name suggested, since the Noctua is brown, and I prefer a black colour from the Be quiet.
    As for the Video card, I see you guys put in a 2060 which would make my total go ever higher, since I really want an Intel CPU, so I switched it for a 1660, which are quite new released, and is pretty good, so I have been told.
    SSD wise I was recommended to take a 970 series as it is a lot faster than an 860 series, and I was told Samsung made best SSD's.

    What's your opinion about the build I created?

  7. #7
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    9,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxiel View Post
    Thank you both for you replies.

    I see you both recommend an AMD CPU, is that purely based on the price of Intel's in my country, or that you think AMD is simply better?
    I'm using an Intel CPU atm and kind of want to stick with that, I'm sorry if I didn't mention that.

    I also have been doing some research and asked some other friends about opinions and try to make a build on pcpartpicker.

    Initially I wanted to keep my Case and CPU cooler, but I heard the Cooler wasn't too good and see you both replaced it in your builds. Whilst making a list on PCpartpicker I saw my current Case is not compatible with the items I listed, so that has to replaced too. So I went over budget creating a list, and only my Power Supply, and optionally HDD will be reused in this build.

    Build I came up with after seeing both your builds and doing some research:

    CPU Intel® Core i5-9600K, 3.7 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1151 (€289,- @Alternate.nl)
    CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cpu-cooler (€84,90 @Alternate.nl)
    Motherboard MSI Z390-A PRO, socket 1151 (€139,- @Alternate.nl)
    Memory Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3000 Kit (€116,90 @Alternate.nl)
    Video Card GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G (€299,- @Alternate.nl)
    SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD (€119,- @Bol.com)
    HDD Western Digital Blue, 1TB, 3.5" From current build
    Power Supply Corsair CX 750W From current build
    Case Corsair Obsidian 750D ATX Full Tower Case (€137,90 @Alternate.nl)
    Total €1185,70

    So I put in a Be quiet! Cooler as Temp Name suggested, since the Noctua is brown, and I prefer a black colour from the Be quiet.
    As for the Video card, I see you guys put in a 2060 which would make my total go ever higher, since I really want an Intel CPU, so I switched it for a 1660, which are quite new released, and is pretty good, so I have been told.
    SSD wise I was recommended to take a 970 series as it is a lot faster than an 860 series, and I was told Samsung made best SSD's.

    What's your opinion about the build I created?
    Edit: I went with AMD because it's cheaper and the performance delta isn't that high, if it even exists at 1080p60. They also do fine enough in WoW after 8.1 fixed DX12.
    Faster CPU = Happy WoW - Slower GPU = Sad other games. That said, for 1080p a 1660 ti is fine.

    As for a 970: Ask yourself this question: Do you open files that exceed ~500MB/s often? Games don't count, they're multiple files. The only things I can think of are high FPS videos, ridiculously high resolution videos (16k maybe?), or heavy simulations.
    If the answer is no, you won't see any benefit over an 860, or even an SSD from other manufacturers. The throughput on the 970 is INSANE. ~3500MB/s. The random performance is about the same as an 860 though, which is limited to about 550MB/s. You can even get an 860 in the same formfactor. It's 20 euro's more for the 970 for performance you probably won't notice
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-03-22 at 02:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Edit: I went with AMD because it's cheaper and the performance delta isn't that high, if it even exists at 1080p60. They also do fine enough in WoW after 8.1 fixed DX12.
    Faster CPU = Happy WoW - Slower GPU = Sad other games. That said, for 1080p a 1660 ti is fine.

    As for a 970: Ask yourself this question: Do you open files that exceed ~500MB/s often? Games don't count, they're multiple files. The only things I can think of are high FPS videos, ridiculously high resolution videos (16k maybe?), or heavy simulations.
    If the answer is no, you won't see any benefit over an 860, or even an SSD from other manufacturers. The throughput on the 970 is INSANE. ~3500MB/s. The random performance is about the same as an 860 though, which is limited to about 550MB/s. You can even get an 860 in the same formfactor. It's 20 euro's more for the 970 for performance you probably won't notice
    Allright so it seems the 970 is a bit overkill, as I will only use it for WoW and Battlefield 5, and maybe some other FPS in the years to come.
    As for the GPU, when I run both the rtx 2060 and gtx 1660 TI on Userbenchmark the 2060 is about 16% faster. Is that really worth the almost €100 increased cost, keeping in mind I will use it for WoW and FPS games solely.

  9. #9
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    9,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxiel View Post
    Allright so it seems the 970 is a bit overkill, as I will only use it for WoW and Battlefield 5, and maybe some other FPS in the years to come.
    As for the GPU, when I run both the rtx 2060 and gtx 1660 TI on Userbenchmark the 2060 is about 16% faster. Is that really worth the almost €100 increased cost, keeping in mind I will use it for WoW and FPS games solely.
    Probably not. A 1060 6gb is fine for 1080p gaming, a 1660ti should be more than enough. I had honestly just forgotten about the 1660ti..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •