An example of how little we truly know about the human mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWKvDj3jD4

Created as a sleep aid, awakens some coma patients.

We just throw darts at a wall until something sticks in regards to medicine.

The reason i linked this is to allow people to be aware of how dumb we are in the overall scheme of things, imagine if we were tasked to create a human from scratch lol. Makes you wonder if stem cell research is a good idea, or if we should leave that road untraveled.

A lot of things are discovered care of a happy accident

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    A lot of things are discovered care of a happy accident
    Ya in this case it would be a happy accident.

I dunno, im just weirded out with how eager we are to dabble in things that are so misunderstood. In the trials for this drug for example, what crazy stuff went down that we never heard about?

This is just one drug of the thousands on the market that affect brain function, not a single one do we understand fully.

We won’t know anything if we never test them out and try to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    We just throw darts at a wall until something sticks in regards to medicine almost everything.
    Fixed that for you.

I mean, throwing darts at walls until something sticks describes like 90% of the history of human progress.

No, it doesn't make me wonder at all. Stem Cell research is a good idea.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account

Created as a sleep aid, awakens some coma patients.

The reason i linked this is to allow people to be aware of how dumb we are in the overall scheme of things, imagine if we were tasked to create a human from scratch lol. Makes you wonder if stem cell research is a good idea, or if we should leave that road untraveled.
    But then again, you won't learn until you explore. We may move forward in blind but it is to light a beacon in the dark, guiding others on a safer path.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yeah it worked in this one case, how many cases did it not work or make things worse?
    The reason why doctors can’t and won’t agree to do anything that isn’t backed by science is because of ethical and legal responsibility.
    Same with stem cell research is research for that simple reason, we know it can work in some cases but we don’t have a good enough understanding of it and the possible side effects the use if them can give.

This is the same in any field of science where we don’t know what’s happening or will happen, do we close the research down and claim it’s "an act of God"? If you’re stupid then yes, but if you’re smart you keep looking for the answers. However those answers have to give meaning and be repeatable or predictable to some level.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    No, it doesn't make me wonder at all. Stem Cell research is a good idea.
    I'm surprised pro-lifers support stem cell research. After all, if one of these stem cells were found outside Earth, would we refer to them as alien life?

One more step towards knowing. Like those experiments where they severed the hemispheres of the brain to treat epilepsy and wound up learning a lot about how our brains work.

Neuroscience is still new, but we didn’t know much about biology and our origins at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by NoKingRulesForever View Post
    I'm surprised pro-lifers support stem cell research. After all, if one of these stem cells were found outside Earth, would we refer to them as alien life?
    Are you saying you think I'm a pro-lifer?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    True OP. Since there is not a single theory that explains how knowledge is represented in the brain(yet). It has to be treated as a kind of sandbox, throw stuff at it and hope for a novel discovery.

Even stuff like Antidepression meds or SSRI are still not well understood.

We seem to know the basics but how it really works it seems to elude us.

Quote Originally Posted by bgdfahrq View Post
    Even stuff like Antidepression meds or SSRI are still not well understood.

We seem to know the basics but how it really works it seems to elude us.
    The reason we don't know how things like antidepressants and antipsychotics work is because we don't understand properly how the the human brain works.

Quote Originally Posted by NoKingRulesForever View Post
    The reason we don't know how things like antidepressants and antipsychotics work is because we don't understand properly how the the human brain works.
    Exactly.

Its like we know roughly how it works.. but we are still far from knowing exactly how it works or if it even works at all!

we wouldn't be where we are today if we didn't explore the unknown and figure stuff out through trial and error and occasionally by accident (penicillin for example was found completely by accident yet its one of the most amazing things ever discovered)

just because YOU don't understand it doesn't mean we should stop trying to progress and hopefully make the world better for everyone in the long run
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

The reason i linked this is to allow people to be aware of how dumb we are in the overall scheme of things.
    I agree. Only very recently they discovered that gut health influences the immune system, psyche and brain function. Yet western civilizations seemingly have recklessly discarded all ancient knowledge about food preparation previous generations have accumulated. We know so little yet we don't seem to be aware of just how little we know...

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of medicine is knowing that something might happen or probably happen. Less likely to know why something happens. 100 years from now people will look back and see us the way we see shamans and village healers.

Resident Cosplay Progressive