Exclamation High Resolution Maps

Hello everyone

does anyone know where I can find high resolutioned maps for the classic WoW zones? Elwynn Forest and stuff pre-cataclysm, atleast HD (1920x1080 px)? I look into the old WoW's installation folder and googled but couldnt find any in an appropriate resolution. I would appreciate any help

Thanks a lot in advance

Quote Originally Posted by c0keh View Post
    Hello everyone

does anyone know where I can find high resolutioned maps for the classic WoW zones? Elwynn Forest and stuff pre-cataclysm, atleast HD (1920x1080 px)? I look into the old WoW's installation folder and googled but couldnt find any in an appropriate resolution. I would appreciate any help

Thanks a lot in advance
    Would this work?
    I just googled and found it:

https://newmaps.marlam.in/Azeroth/2/7/-99.215/63.320
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    Would this work?
    Id prefer the original ones you got when you opened the big map in game

Id prefer the original ones you got when you opened the big map in game
    I never found them online.

Hello everyone

Thanks a lot in advance
    They don't exist (because Blizz didn't make them in 1080p) unless someone else recreated them 1:1, which is unlikely since usually everyone puts in their own style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    Would this work?

https://newmaps.marlam.in/Azeroth/2/7/-99.215/63.320
    It's quite odd that this site doesn't have the 1.12 version of the map, but they do have 1.1.2 one, which still has the "vanilla alpha" version of Outland, Karazhan and even Designer/Programmer Isles

Last edited by voidillusion; 2019-03-22 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    It's quite odd that this site doesn't have the 1.12 version of the map, but they do have 1.1.2 one, which still has the "vanilla alpha" version of Outland, Karazhan and even Designer/Programmer Isles
    There is a 1.12 version of the Kalimdor map though.

Edit: Is the plot of land far west of Stranglethorn Vale the "vanilla alpha" Outland zone? I don't think I've seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    That's the same as the previously linked one, compiled from minimap data.
    Last edited by robotusch; 2019-03-22 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robotusch View Post
    There is a 1.12 version of the Kalimdor map though.

Edit: Is the plot of land far west of Stranglethorn Vale the "vanilla alpha" Outland zone? I don't think I've seen that before.
    Yeah it's basically the first ever version of Hellfire Peninsula. All of these alpha maps in the corners have been removed in 1.12 (or 1.11).

Check this out:

AFAIK initially Blizzard intended to release this as vanilla content. They didn't really know early on if they wanted to even make expansions. TBC is basically a set of ALL the things they've planned to release later on in Classic (Outland, Quel Thalas, Karazhan, Hyal, Caverns of Time...)
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2019-03-22 at 01:47 PM.

Hello everyone

Thanks a lot in advance
    This is really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    Looking at those maps again made me realize I like Eastern Kingdoms more than Kalimdor for vanilla WoW.

From raid/PvP perspective:

Without Kalimdor we wouldn't have WSG for PvP (1 BG). Raids we wouldn't have: AQ20/AQ40 and Ony (1 raid tier + one 20man + 1 boss).

Without EK, we wouldn't have AB or AV for PvP (2 BGs). Raid we wouldn't have: MC, BWL, ZG, and Naxx (3 raid tiers + one 20man). Most level 60 dungeons are in EK as well, with exception to Dire Maul.

Overall, as a whole, given above facts, I feel Blizz spent more time fleshing out EK than Kalimdor during vanilla. Too bad too, because I feel like more ideas could have come from Kalimdor, such as a Feralas-based PvP BG or a Dustwallow Marsh based PvP BG, or an Un'Goro based dungeon or raid full of mystic ancient creatures and dinosaurs. xD Vanilla ended too early...

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Vanilla ended too early...
    I remember a long time ago seeing a video for an Azshara based battleground that was a pretty big map; maybe not quite as long as AV but comparable in area. You may remember the two paths leading up the mountain with horde or alliance flags around them leading to caves that was left in the original Azshara map.

I'll see if I can find a link to the video. Here's one.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-03-22 at 11:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I remember a long time ago seeing a video for an Azshara based battleground that was a pretty big map; maybe not quite as long as AV but comparable in area. You may remember the two paths leading up the mountain with horde or alliance flags around them leading to caves that was left in the original Azshara map.

I'll see if I can find a link to the video. Here's one.

It was actually supposed to become a BG in Cata (or maybe MoP, I don't remember exactly). There was a whole datamined map, buildings and everything. But they scraped it for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    It was actually supposed to become a BG in Cata (or maybe MoP, I don't remember exactly). There was a whole datamined map, buildings and everything. But they scraped it for whatever reason.
    yeah watching the better video I found now and it has more info on it. Still looks pretty nice, and *personally* I wouldn't be against it being polished up and presented as new content sometime down the line when things need spice.

Dragon statues look awesome hehe While I have had a good fill of Azshara based PVP from larking about on pirate servers hunting Azuregos, having a dedicated PvP zone would be great, while I hate the "up and down" of Azshara, aesthetically it is one of my favourite vanilla zones.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-03-22 at 11:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Even tho I have a 4k screen connected to my PC, theres no 4K option in my vanilla client to choose for some reason. But Ive read that others can. So if anyone with a 4k resolution took screenshots from the maps this might do