Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Mistakes happens, doesn't mean you get to steal someone else's delivery which is what it basically is. Same as if someone accidentally sends money to the wrong account you don't get to spend it. They can do a drawback and I imagine if you've already spent it and they can't receive the money you will have to pay them back. At least that's how it is here... I think.
    That isn't what happened in this case though. It says he ordered a 74 inch flat screen TV but instead an 84 inch flat screen was delivered.... It's not like the mail man delivered something to the wrong address and he just decided to keep it. Seems beyond excessive to have police surrounding the house. Surely the company could have just phoned him up and asked about the mistake and got someone to come exchange the product.

I often have my neighbours packages delivered to my house when they aren't in. I often even go and take them round to their house myself later... I'd never steal someone elses packages. However if I ordered a mid range graphics card for my PC and a top of the range graphics card arrived instead, would I say anything and go out of my way to correct the error ? Probably not if i'm being honest although I can't say for sure until in that situation.

I feel sort of differently about cash going into a bank account by mistake though... You often hear stories about people suddenly finding masses of cash in their account and then instead of contacting their bank, they go on some made spending spree and then get in trouble for it later. In principle I suppose it's not much different to my graphics card scenario but for some reason it just feels different.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2019-03-23 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    I wouldn’t keep it, if there was a mistake in something I ordered I would let the company know and go from there.
    This.
    In the case of such a TV, I would not have accepted the delivery in the first place and told the transporteur that "This is NOT what I ordered".

In any "silent, non obvious delivery" case, I would expect to be asked to pay the difference and if I could afford the item in error and wanted it, I would immediately contact the dealer and pay the difference or send it back.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2019-03-23 at 11:10 AM.

I'm not even sure if what the guy did was technically illegal but it falls under a violation of common decency.

It's not yours, you know it's not yours, you know a mistake was made, just send it back. Plain and simple. So much drama in the world would cease if people would just do the right thing and stop trying to get over on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Do you "win" when you get arrested?
    How will they know? As long as I don't sign any papers like this guy did which is how they got him. I would have just put a line where the signature is. Also Amazon was fine with him keeping the incorrect sized TV as he originally ordered a 74 inch and not an 86 inch. It was the shipping company that had a problem with this as I guess they were left with the bill for the incorrect delivery. If I was in his shoes I would have done the same thing. I probably wouldn't even know until I opened the box and took the TV out that I got a 86 inch and not the 74 inch I ordered. Amazon was fine with him keeping he TV as well, which just confuses this situation further. If the shipper wanted the TV back I would have told them to sit on a lemon and twist. You know how hard it would be to mount something that large to the wall and then to have to go through the trouble to unmount it?

If he can prove that Amazon was alright with him keeping the TV I can't imagine they can keep him in jail. Also seriously they surrounded his house with a swart team for this?

Guys I ordered an rtx 2080 from amazon.de, but they delivered an rtx 2080ti, it was like a week ago. Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    How will they know? As long as I don't sign any papers like this guy did which is how they got him. I would have just put a line where the signature is. Also Amazon was fine with him keeping the incorrect sized TV as he originally ordered a 74 inch and not an 86 inch. It was the shipping company that had a problem with this as I guess they were left with the bill for the incorrect delivery. If I was in his shoes I would have done the same thing. I probably wouldn't even know until I opened the box and took the TV out that I got a 86 inch and not the 74 inch I ordered. Amazon was fine with him keeping he TV as well, which just confuses this situation further. If the shipper wanted the TV back I would have told them to sit on a lemon and twist. You know how hard it would be to mount something that large to the wall and then to have to go through the trouble to unmount it?

If he can prove that Amazon was alright with him keeping the TV I can't imagine they can keep him in jail. Also seriously they surrounded his house with a swart team for this?
    You didn't read the article.

He didn't get the 86" instead of his 74"...he got both TV's. And it wasn't a "SWAT team"...they had some cops with flashlights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    The biggest thing missing from the news stories is whether or not the second TV was labeled or addressed to someone else or not. If it is addressed to him or has dropped off at the same time as the first tv with nothing on it to show it was for someone else, then it is considered a free gift per the FTC. Granted, there might be a state law that goes further however that is unknown for now. The only thing that you cannot keep regardless of how it got there is mistaken money put into your bank account.
    There's one line in the article that gives me the impression that the TV had someone else's name on it.

The shipping company claims that Memmo signed for the incorrect delivery, which Memmo disputes. He also says that he never informed them he was someone he is not.
    To men it looks like, because he never actually told them his name was "John Smith" or whatever, he thinks he's fine to keep the TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

The part that stands out to me:

“I looked into all the laws and said, ‘You know, it’s a scratch ticket. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose,'” he said. He added, “Amazon said I had nothing to worry about. I made no wrong decisions at that point.”

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm not even sure if what the guy did was technically illegal but it falls under a violation of common decency.

It's not yours, you know it's not yours, you know a mistake was made, just send it back. Plain and simple. So much drama in the world would cease if people would just do the right thing and stop trying to get over on others.
    It appears that the wrong thing got delivered and amazon said he had nothing to worry about which I assume is where he bought it from and the 3rd party were the delivery people.

Larceny and jail time seems silly to me in this case.

At most payment of delivery fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The part that stands out to me:

“I looked into all the laws and said, ‘You know, it’s a scratch ticket. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose,'” he said. He added, “Amazon said I had nothing to worry about. I made no wrong decisions at that point.”

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that the wrong thing got delivered and amazon said he had nothing to worry about which I assume is where he bought it from and the 3rd party were the delivery people.
    He got the thing he ordered. He also got the TV that someone else ordered.

I'm not getting blown up/poisoned by mistake opening up someone else's packages. Sounds extreme till you think back to past incidents.

He got the thing he ordered. He also got the TV that someone else ordered.
    Was the other tv delivered under the other person name?

Was the other tv delivered under the other person name?
    This line here makes me think it was.

The shipping company claims that Memmo signed for the incorrect delivery, which Memmo disputes. He also says that he never informed them he was someone he is not.
    Basically, it sounds like they never actually asked if he was "John Smith" and he never actually told them that he was...he just signed for the delivery.

I could understand it if it were they delivered the wrong TV by mistake. I could even understand if he didn't actually notice until they left that the extra package was meant for someone else. But they also called him a few times and asked about it. Then they called the cops and the cops asked him about it. Then the cops get a warrant, seize the TV, and arrest him and still he's like "I didn't do anything wrong". There's a certain point where he should definitely have gotten the message that it wasn't okay for him to keep the TV.

The OP left a couple parts of the article out of quote.
    According to Freetown Police Department, they were informed by the delivery service that two televisions had been delivered and one was delivered by mistake. “The delivery service contacted police after several unsuccessful attempts to recover the television. Police then visited the residence where they spoke with the male in an effort to recover the television. Unfortunately, he refused to cooperate,” the FPD said.
    Memmo was charged with larceny Over $1,200 by false pretense and misleading a police officer.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-03-23 at 06:24 PM.

This line here makes me think it was.

Basically, it sounds like they never actually asked if he was "John Smith" and he never actually told them that he was...he just signed for the delivery.
    I can see why that's disputed. I don't look at my packages when they get delivered I just open them I typically trust the company to deliver things that are in my name.

They fucked up, they have insurance, they should file a claim.

I can see why that's disputed. I don't look at my packages when they get delivered I just open them I typically trust the company to deliver things that are in my name.

They fucked up, they have insurance, they should file a claim.
    They've got the TV back now...no need for their insurance to take a hit because some asshole decided to keep a TV that he knew wasn't his.

You didn't read the article.

He didn't get the 86" instead of his 74"...he got both TV's. And it wasn't a "SWAT team"...they had some cops with flashlights.
    He got both? The person who delivered the TV screwed up real badly. Yea no, that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    He got both? The person who delivered the TV screwed up real badly. Yea no, that's different.
    I should be fair here. The reason you probably missed that part of the story originally is because the OP decided to leave out a few important bits from the article.

According to Freetown Police Department, they were informed by the delivery service that two televisions had been delivered and one was delivered by mistake. “The delivery service contacted police after several unsuccessful attempts to recover the television. Police then visited the residence where they spoke with the male in an effort to recover the television. Unfortunately, he refused to cooperate,” the FPD said.
    Memmo was charged with larceny Over $1,200 by false pretense and misleading a police officer.
    Fortunately, I've seen too many occasions where an OP will deliberately edit the parts of the article they quote in an effort to push their own agenda forward...so now I always go to the source.

I had a package delivered by mistake with the wrong name and address. Called the carrier to come pick it up and they never did. The second time I called they wanted me to deliver to the hub and I told them I was not wasting my time on their mistake and to come pick it up. After a week of not getting back to me I just kept the package. It was Ice cube trays.

here is the deal. if the package is adressed to me? I keep it. if the package is addressed to another person? I either take it back to shipping company or take it to the person it was adressed to, depending on which address is closer.

and if its something as large as a TV - I call the shipping company and have them come back and pick it up.

the article doesn't specify if the address on the package was of the guy in the article, or someone else. so I honestly cannot tell if he did nothing wrong, or tried to scam anyone.

I will say one thing, if that shipping company did call them? there should be phone records of them doing so. whether he didn't pick up or did, its possible to see if they are lying about contacting him or saying the truth.

P.S. the most expensive thing I ever had wrongly delivered to me was nintendo switch. I didn't even look at the address before opening the package, becasue at the time i WAS expecting amazon package of that size. wasn't until I saw breath of the wild inside, i went.. wait a second.. never ordered that... and look at the address.. and it was addressed to someone else. so I walked over and gave it to them in person. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted for a moment to keep it. but... better part of me won over the greedy little shit :P
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-03-23 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Personally, I would've immediately contacted Amazon to find out what the hell happened once I realized I got something I didn't pay for. If it's just some deal where they substituted a bigger TV because the one I bought is no longer available, great. If it's something where I got someone else's TV, I'd have it sent back (although that better be at no cost to me, since the fuckup wasn't my fault).

It sounds to me like this guy knew all along it was someone else's TV. The fact that the cops were contacting him about it should've been a hint there. If he knew all along and chose to keep it anyway, he should be in some kind of trouble.

I'd like to know which side is telling the truth here. I'm no lawyer or cop, but wouldn't that be...a fraud charge or something if he signed for an incorrect delivery?
    Except he did contact Amazon and they said he could keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    That's what he said happened. That's not how any of that works. Amazon isn't going to let you keep an item of that value "just because."

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    According to him, Amazon said he could keep it.

On the other hand, the delivery company and the cops said he could not keep it.