Bring on the War Council

The Warchief role does not work and is stupid in both theory and practice. It's time for the Horde to remove the position of Warchief and replace it with a War Council made up of 1 member from each of the Horde's races. That allows for equal representation and opportunity. It would also drastically reduce the chance that a dictator can control the Horde (Garrosh) or an evil heretic (Sylvanas). You know you want it, so BRING ON THE WAR COUNCIL!

10+ Year Old Account
    the title of " warchief" is too cool of a title to retire, so no thanx

5+ Year Old Account
    +1. The position of Warchief might have worked for orcs when they were mere warring bands in Draenor, but it hasn't really paid off after "moving" in Azeroth. The more brutal, Warchief-centric Horde has been defeated three times already (Second War, MoP, and soon BfA). The Horde should really revisit their ways, instead of clogging to useless, and even dangerous, traditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

a council of race leaders is the only logical path

It looks like that this is what Blizzard wants. However they can still keep the Warchief title for the Orc racial leader.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    It looks like that this is what Blizzard wants. However they can still keep the Warchief title for the Orc racial leader.
    lord of clans

"Warchief" is way too iconic to get rid of, imo.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

This is my theory too. I think they're going the War Council route. Queen Talanji insisted on being seen as an equal, which is another foreshadow at the council thing. They've been through so many Warchiefs lately that it's the natural progression of things, that perhaps its too much power of one person. Works for Ironforge and Dalaran too.

If there's anybody that can really be the glue of said council and make sure it works, its Lor'themar Theron. He handles political matters with ease.

Which means Sylvanas is likely ousted (but not dead) by the end of the xpac, which has been set in motion since the polarizing Teldrasill thing. Saurfang's sacrifice will be the catalyst (last funeral pyre comment)
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-03-23 at 09:55 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoKingRulesForever View Post
    The Warchief role does not work and is stupid in both theory and practice. It's time for the Horde to remove the position of Warchief and replace it with a War Council made up of 1 member from each of the Horde's races. That allows for equal representation and opportunity. It would also drastically reduce the chance that a dictator can control the Horde (Garrosh) or an evil heretic (Sylvanas). You know you want it, so BRING ON THE WAR COUNCIL!
    Correction,

The Warchief role WORKS, but It DOESN'T work for the last two characters who were Warchiefs, Sylvanas and Vol'jin. Not only Is my bias as an Orc saying a Warchief has to be an Orc, but Sylvanas Is gonna die and be replaced, that much Is certai I'd think.

Warchief works well, because a Horde needs someone to be the pillar of strenght, the one who upholds Honor, who unites the family that Is the Horde. Same way that there Is a King who protects It's Kingdom. Are you just biased to the word Warchief? Does saying King make It sound better for you? People would flip their shiz If a Dwarf, a Night Elf or a Gnome was named King of Stormwind wouldn't they. But then Vol'jin and Sylvanas becomes one and everyone flips a shiz. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the whole Idea they did with "Sylvanas becoming Warchief cuz Vol'jin said so" or some spirit said so or whateverthefudgewhocares.

A Warchief Is the STRONGEST person In the Horde, and when Vol'jin was to die there should've been a fight amongst the Leadership who wanted the position. That Is the Orc Way, that Is the Horde Way. If the damn pussie Undead or Elves don't like It they can leave the Horde. It's not like they've joined us cause we share common traits with them, but because they needed our protection or else the Alliance or other forces would overtake them without our help. It's our rules, go away If you don't like em.

And surely, same goes for the Alliance. If there are ways the King of Stormwind or the Humans who formed the Alliance In the first place do something that the others disagree with, they can leave. Hey, Tyrande. Don't like that we can't help you in Darkshore? Oh well, leave the damn Alliance.

Rant over. Warchief stays or else I tell you alot of Horde players will leave leave. The Alliance can do that kind of thing but they won't, because they have a High King of the Alliance as well, their own Warchief. You don't seem them In a council with equal power because even they know that wouldn't work and they don't fully trust each other as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    This is my theory too. I think they're going the War Council route. Queen Talanji insisted on being seen as an equal, which is another foreshadow at the council thing. They've been through so many Warchiefs lately that it's the natural progression of things, that perhaps its too much power of one person. Works for Ironforge and Dalaran too.

If there's anybody that can really be the glue of said council and make sure it works, its Lor'themar Theron. He handles political matters with ease.

Which means Sylvanas is likely ousted (but not dead) by the end of the xpac, which has been set in motion since the polarizing Teldrasill thing. Saurfang's sacrifice will be the catalyst (last funeral pyre comment)

You're comparing a small kingdom turning from One Ruler to a Council. And Ironforge did that to stop Civil War---oh wait, nevermind.

But you still compare that to a small scale, they won't relinquish the Idea of a High King, one person ruling over the entire Alliance. And It's seemingly Hereditory even though most assumed that It wouldn't be, and that Anduin would just become King of Stormwind and the High Commander of the Alliance Military or something would be someone more experienced, like Genn to kind of contrast an Alliance version of Garrosh but most in control and less crazy, somewhat.

And Dalaran. I'm not sure what you mean? It was always a Council of Six, since their Kingdom was first Born as far as we know. With one of the Archmages being a leading figure, an experienced and strong Individual within that council. But that's not too dissimilar to how there are Leaders of the Horde, with the Warchief being the strongest one.

I love how deeper people go Into the structure the more you'd realize having a Warchief makes absolute sense for the Horde, at least. And other factions and Nations have such a structure.
    Last edited by TheVaryag; 2019-03-24 at 02:05 AM.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    "Warchief" is way too iconic to get rid of, imo.
    Warchief should be a title for Orcs only. The Warchief of all united Orcish clans.

Same as High King should pertain to humans only. The High King of all seven human kingdoms.

I could certainly see it. Blizzard can't be blind to the degree they don't realize Warchief Musical Chairs is getting ridiculous and it needs canonically addressed.

Keep the title and role of Warchief for the Orc leader, make titles for each of the other leaders and make a war council.

Sounds fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    You're comparing a small kingdom turning from One Ruler to a Council. And Ironforge did that to stop Civil War---oh wait, nevermind.
    Hi, I appreciate the reply. Yeah I just gave a couple of examples of where the council ruling system has been used already, but obviously the entire Horde itself is on a bigger scale like you said. I'm just making a prediction, but without really much to back it up, other than that Talanji snippet. After Garrosh and now Sylvanas both leading them down destructive paths, I could see them losing faith in their system and try something new. Kind of depends if they're keeping this faction war thing going with next xpac too (dragon isles?). Other than that, I got nothing. Who do you think the next Warchief should be if they keep the system?
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-03-24 at 03:20 AM.

I think the Horde could go for a bit of a hybrid type of governement - it's generally ruled by a Council, but at the times of war, the Council elects a Warchief who leads the Horde's war effort (but doesn't hold enough power to dismantle the Council and can be replaced/called back if the Council decides that the Warchief is failing in some way).

So... considering that it's WoW and we're at war pretty much all the time (whether with ourselves or some kind of outside threat), effectively the Horde would still have a Warchief, but as a "war leader" kind of figure instead of a "ruler" per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    I think the Horde could go for a bit of a hybrid type of governement - it's generally ruled by a Council, but at the times of war, the Council elects a Warchief who leads the Horde's war effort (but doesn't hold enough power to dismantle the Council and can be replaced/called back if the Council decides that the Warchief is failing in some way).

So... considering that it's WoW and we're at war pretty much all the time (whether with ourselves or some kind of outside threat), effectively the Horde would still have a Warchief, but as a "war leader" kind of figure instead of a "ruler" per se.
    I like this middle ground approach

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    That would probably be Warlord in stead