Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question "I wish I had your life" and other sayings like that

Hey Y'all

Whenever someone complains about anything, someone else is always like "wow I wish I had your problems" or "if thats all you have to worry about your life is easy". I remember I was in class and was whining about the line at the coffee shop being too long. Someone was like " I wish I had your life". Seriously why do people say stuff like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really every person pain is real to them. I always try to understand and emphasize. I do wonder why people who face such issues often turn into assholes who are indifferent to the suffering of others.

There’s room for everyone to cry. It their party they can cry if they want to.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Because no one wants to hear about your petty complaints. The fact that you need to whine to others about the line for coffee being too long and other trivial things makes you sound like a whiny attention grabbing douche.

If you have to wish to be someone else you must have one pitiful life.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Some people are afraid of direct confrontation so they turn to passive-aggressive statements to feel like they've still got a degree of control in their lives. People who suffer from narcissistic personality disorder do things like that so they can feel good about themselves, it's also why they make sure to surround themselves with people. So they can put them down to lift themselves up.

It could also be attributed to many different degrees of frustration or attention-seeking issues. Passive-aggressive comments like that tend to be made by people who are lonely, neglected and otherwise ignored, so they make these comments to bring the attention towards themselves, "oh? What's happened?", they'll ask. "Oh, it's nothing", they'll say to get them to ask more questions so they can soak in the attention.

Not that I bear any ill will towards these people, I feel that they all need help, just like myself. It's just as a society, we've been taught to shove it all down deep inside and hide our true feelings. So we come out with ways to "maneuver" the expectations of society in order to get what we want without explicitly saying so.

I say that to my cat all the time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

i make those complaints sometimes and they follow up with "Frist world problems i know.." but i do have to watch when i complain to my BFF, she is a single mom of 2 making a fraction of what i do.. so it feels wrong if complain about money or something to her.

that said I do wish i had a different life, just how it is.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey Y'all

Whenever someone complains about anything, someone else is always like "wow I wish I had your problems" or "if thats all you have to worry about your life is easy". I remember I was in class and was whining about the line at the coffee shop being too long. Someone was like " I wish I had your life". Seriously why do people say stuff like that?
    If all you have to complain about is how long you have to wait for a coffee, you live a blessed life indeed.

They're probably telling you to toughen up and not worry about such small things.

Seriously why do people say stuff like that?
    Probably because you sound like you have some sort of victim complex, based on your posts.

Hey Y'all

Because I a long coffee line is t as bad as living in poverty or an abusive household

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, why were you complaining in the first place?

Probably same answer.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    If you have to wish to be someone else you must have one pitiful life.
    Everything is relative.

Every one has different expectations and resilience levels. We don't all cope with depression/sadness/disappointment in the same way, and just because person A has had an objectively tougher life than person B, it does not mean Person B's pain isn't real or worthy of compassion. There are over 7.7 billion of us and we are all different.

I doubt the OP was crying in woe of what happened to him , he showed frustration most likely . If that's the case then all you drivers that experience road rage or frustration are in the same boat " oh i wish i had your life if all you had to complain was slow driving today" see what i mean? People that respond with that line can't diferentiate between real problems/woe and just a current frustrating thing that happened .

If it we're after them than unless you have an illness and debt or problem bigger than theirs you have no room to express any frustration , come on.